2007 2.0 TDI 170 DSG, very jerky 1st gear!

paultaylor

Reaction score
Hope a DSG expert can help!

Picked up my 2007 2.0TDi 170 DSG Sportback 37k miles last night and all is well apart from the jerkiness of when you are moving from a standstill e.g. getting a ticket at barrier of car park and want to move off slowly but first gear bangs in a throws the car forward!

Now it was given a full Audi service last Monday but they didn't have the DSG oil filter so it has to go back next week for the DSG gearbox oil and filter(€282!)

I'm hoping this will cure the problem but I remember when I had my 07 R32 DSG that when I complained of rough shifts between 2nd and 3rd they said they could change the oil and "adjust the settings inside the box" to help it change smoother.

Are there any setting which can be adjusted like this or is all software based?

Delighted with the car but nervous about letting my pregnant wife drive it as she could easily tip into the back of someone if she was caught unaware.

thanks

Paul

Last edited:
Are you talking about moving forward from standstill, keeping the gear in D at all times?
Or are you in N at standstill and then selecting D when pulling forward?

Are you talking about moving forward from standstill, keeping the gear in D at all times?
Or are you in N at standstill and then selecting D when pulling forward?

it's when it's in D and you roll up to a stop on the brakes and come to complete stop to go thru a barrier for example and then when you do to move off by gently apply the throttle it lurges forward.

Is it going into neutral at this momemt and then jumping forward when it finds 1st?

also it creeps a touch when you relaese the brake in D whereas my R32 DSG only ever moved when the throttle was applied

thanks

Its not going into 'neutral' but it is disengaging when you are fully on the brake.
Also, it is normal for it to creep foward without applying any gas when releasing the brake in D.

It shouldn't be lurching forward when trying to pull off though. Mine only does this if I go from N to D and press the gas too soon before D has been engaged.

I have heard of DSG oil changes curing problems like this, especially if they are very overdue for an oil change.

Do you have any other problems with the box... i.e. poor or incorrect gear changes etc??

Its not going into 'neutral' but it is disengaging when you are fully on the brake.
Also, it is normal for it to creep foward without applying any gas when releasing the brake in D.

It shouldn't be lurching forward when trying to pull off though. Mine only does this if I go from N to D and press the gas too soon before D has been engaged.

I have heard of DSG oil changes curing problems like this, especially if they are very overdue for an oil change.

Do you have any other problems with the box... i.e. poor or incorrect gear changes etc??

Thanks for the info, hopefully the service will solve this.

Other than this problem it's actually fine, better form cold than my R32 was in that it doesn't donwchange too soon when cold like the Golf did.

I've emailed Audi to see when can they get the filter and hopefully get it done early next week.

some house beats for your Bose!

killingpaolo's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The A3 is finally in with Audi now getting the DSG filter and oil changed, praying that it will help the first gear as it's the only issue on the car.

One thing I noticed this morning was that it didn't do it from cold which unfortunately having read many threads on the symptoms of mechatronics problems points towards needing a new mechatronics control unit.

I've been quoted €1800 from an independent which money I don't have but not as scary as €3k quote form Audi.

Has anyone had jerky DSG sorted by an oil change?

Well just collected it having had the oil and filter changed and pretty gutted to admit that it's exactly the same.

And it's almost worse as at least before the oil change I had hope that it could improve now the only option before is to try a full DSG reset(don't know how much it will cost) and hope that might improve it but I kind of know deep down having read all the threads that it's the mechatronics unit.

Gutted now as it's ruining the experience of what is otherwise a beautiful car

Where did you buy it from?? Audi dealer?? Don't you have like 30 days or something to return the car if you're not happy with it? Even if its from an independent garage you have a certain amount of time.

If it is the mechatronics unit then the fault pre-existed before you bought the car and therefore Audi should rectify it at no cost to you

I'd contact your local Trading Standards office for some advice and go from there. IMO you shouldn't be paying out for any repairs

Last edited:
Where did you buy it from?? Audi dealer?? Don't you have like 30 days or something to return the car if you're not happy with it? Even if its from an independent garage you have a certain amount of time.

If it is the mechatronics unit then the fault pre-existed before you bought the car and therefore Audi should rectify it at no cost to you

I'd contact your local Trading Standards office for some advice and go from there. IMO you shouldn't be paying out for any repairs

I bought it privately but as the seller is known through a colleague he said he will stand over the car but having said that I know I'll have a battle on my hands when he finds out the cost of the mechatronics unit!

I think he was advised the oil change would sort it but it hasn't so we'll have to see what he says

thanks

Paul

****** :( Sounds like you will have a right battle as private sellers have next to no rights :(

Might be worth getting an extended warranty, seeing if the unit is covered and then claim in about a month's time!

Whatever happens you need to get it diagnosed. Whereabouts in the country are you as it will be worth contacting a member who has VCDS who can log and look for fault codes without the expense of taking it to Audi :)

****** :( Sounds like you will have a right battle as private sellers have next to no rights :(

Might be worth getting an extended warranty, seeing if the unit is covered and then claim in about a month's time!

Whatever happens you need to get it diagnosed. Whereabouts in the country are you as it will be worth contacting a member who has VCDS who can log and look for fault codes without the expense of taking it to Audi :)

The ran the diagnosticthis morning and there were no fault codes for the injectors nor the DSG

Which in someways makes my case harder as you'd have to drive it to understand the problem

The ran the diagnosticthis morning and there were no fault codes for the injectors nor the DSG

Which in someways makes my case harder as you'd have to drive it to understand the problem

Fanastic Audi service......I take it they didn't bother to actually try and monitor the DSG and the readings from it as it changes gear......

I know the symptoms as i logged one a couple of months back which was much worse; you're tootling along in 6th and all of a sudden it drops the box into 2nd!!!

Fanastic Audi service......I take it they didn't bother to actually try and monitor the DSG and the readings from it as it changes gear......

I know the symptoms as i logged one a couple of months back which was much worse; you're tootling along in 6th and all of a sudden it drops the box into 2nd!!!

Forgive my ignorance but should they be scanning for faults as the car is being driven in order to pick up a DSG fault?

Forgive my ignorance but should they be scanning for faults as the car is being driven in order to pick up a DSG fault?

Not really, they don't tend to log values like that....unless they're a good garage. If you have a DTC (a regular error code) then it will be seen in a scan until its cleared but something like you're having won't show up in a scan.
They would need to log the relevant channels while you're driving. I don't know exactly what channels you would do for a DSG problem or even if it can be seen.

If you want a DSG reset done I should be able to do it for you if you like. I've sent you a pm.
I'm off work all this week so if you want to call over to me (Beaumont on the Northside) we can at least have a look.
I can even give you a drive in my 2.0TDI DSG and see what the exact difference is.

EDIT: Just thinking, does it do the same if you have it in S mode or in paddleshift mode?
Does it do the "infamous" not able to reverse up/hold itself on a hill?

Last edited:
Not really, they don't tend to log values like that....unless they're a good garage. If you have a DTC (a regular error code) then it will be seen in a scan until its cleared but something like you're having won't show up in a scan.
They would need to log the relevant channels while you're driving. I don't know exactly what channels you would do for a DSG problem or even if it can be seen.

If you want a DSG reset done I should be able to do it for you if you like. I've sent you a pm.
I'm off work all this week so if you want to call over to me (Beaumont on the Northside) we can at least have a look.
I can even give you a drive in my 2.0TDI DSG and see what the exact difference is.

EDIT: Just thinking, does it do the same if you have it in S mode or in paddleshift mode?
Does it do the "infamous" not able to reverse up/hold itself on a hill?

Hill start is very clunky alright and having to reverse up an incline when turning in a cul de sac for example is a nightmare!

Many thanks for the offer, I'll pm you more details

thanks

It could be the map, the PD 170 can feel dead at low revs/off idle then 1800rpm boosts quickly - that's how my original 170 was anyway. My current PD 170, I'm sure, has the VAG detune "remap" that brings the power down but makes it smoother and reduces incidences of DPF regenerations.

It could be the map, the PD 170 can feel dead at low revs/off idle then 1800rpm boosts quickly - that's how my original 170 was anyway. My current PD 170, I'm sure, has the VAG detune "remap" that brings the power down but makes it smoother and reduces incidences of DPF regenerations.

Was yours jerking into 1st gear before the detune map?

Also what arethe details of the detune map power and torque wise?

thanks

The 57 reg car I have now drives smoother at low revs than my 06 170 but the 06 felt brisker once the power came in at 1800+rpm, but felt lethargic below that. I had the 06 de-dpf'd and it was torquey from off-idle.

The 57 I have now has not been touched and I'm just guessing it's had the often-talked about dealer VAG remap to try and resolve regneration issues, but apparently it reduces power to around 150bhp which seems about right to how my 57 feels; it is still brisk but has lost the edge of the other 170 (Pre de-dpf) (Post de-dpf was a different league to both!).

I'm not sure if the step in power is giving you that impression or it's a mechanical problem with selecting 1st gear with yours.

The 57 I have now has not been touched and I'm just guessing it's had the often-talked about dealer VAG remap to try and resolve regneration issues, but apparently it reduces power to around 150bhp which seems about right to how my 57 feels; it is still brisk but has lost the edge of the other 170 (Pre de-dpf) (Post de-dpf was a different league to both!).

Weird. My 170 is a 57 plate too and made 174bhp on the rollers a couple of months back prior to a remap

One thing I hadn't considered is what's detailed in the link below, a faulty brake sensor and possibly a warped clutch plate.

The symptoms are exactly the same and only effecting 1st gear and reverse, this morning when I drove it was perfectly smooth from take off and reversing. But when warmed up the first gear shunting is quite pronounced which would point back to mechatronics or warped clutch?

Has anyone any knowledge of warped clutch plates in an S Tronic?

VWVortex.com - VW Finally solved my DSG transmission problem mystery

Got a 1.8tfsi 2009 will the same promblem, been in to audi No Fault Code = No problem in Audi's view!.Are all 1.8tfsi DSG like this.

Yes still under warranty but audi say no fault,let me know if you get yours sorted.