Budget coilovers. Any good ones?

Dazza0685

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys. Im looking to lower my Sportback with coilovers. (Im aware this has probably been covered but i cant find a good answer really)

I know most of you will probably say dont go for cheap ones but unfortunately i cannot afford big money to spend on my suspension.

The most i can spend is £300. Any recommendations with that price in mind? There are quite a few kits around but i dont want to end up with a vey rubbish kit.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

With the greatest respect to Damian, I would forget Jom, I had problems immediately after mine were installed.

In the end I replaced with V maxx, if I'd just gone straight for V maxx I'd have saved myself spending twice for installation and alignment.

I think the Height adjustable V maxx are a little over £300, lots of members on here swear by them for the money.

Make sure you get them from DPM though, you can't put a price on excellent customer service and aftercare.

They price match too!

Good luck and let us know what u decide

Ok thanks guys, im well aware you get what you pay for but im trying to find a good middle ground.

Anyone else had good/bad experience with the vmaxx ones?

Thanks

If you've only got £300 to spend (does that include fitting??) then your only choice is lowering springs, IMO.

I reckon you're asking for problems spending only £300 on coils.

Hi ads. No i will fit them myself as i have done a lot of work on cars previously. My concern with spring kits is getting the car to sit just right, whereas with the coilies you can play with the height to get it right. Im aware that if you spend more you will get better quality but in sure not all of the cheaper kits are complete rubbish.

Thanks

Hi ads. No i will fit them myself as i have done a lot of work on cars previously. My concern with spring kits is getting the car to sit just right, whereas with the coilies you can play with the height to get it right. Im aware that if you spend more you will get better quality but in sure not all of the cheaper kits are complete rubbish.

Thanks

That's true about springs, but if you research them and look at pics etc of them on other cars then you shouldn't have any nasty surprises about the height when they are on yours.
That's what I did before getting mine and i'm totally happy with the result.

Also, you're in a good position by fitting them yourself, because if you are unhappy with the result you can always remove the springs and sell them on for pretty much what you paid for them and then go for something else if necessary.

I did A LOT of reading about coilovers before making my decision and I heard nothing but bad reviews etc about budget ones, particularly JOMs.
V-maxx I read good and bad, but I've got to say it was mostly on the negative side.

AP coilovers seemed to have pretty good reviews. There were a few bad ones, but mostly good. But for AP you are looking at closer to the £500 mark.

Ok thanks for the advice. What setup to you have on your car? any pics from the back and side on?

Thanks

Ok thanks a lot for your help. Only one more question, do you know where to get the springs from for a good price?

No worries mate.

Damian (DPM) who posted above sells them. Eibach sportlines sell from about £160.

What is your car?? SE, Sport, S-line???

Said this before but I think Ads car sits perfect. Low enough to get rid of the usual gaps yet high enough to still be practical as a daily driver on more or less any road in the UK.

Brilliant i will Pm him. My car is a Sport.
Thanks

You'll be fine on your Sports shocks.
Good luck.

Said this before but I think Ads car sits perfect. Low enough to get rid of the usual gaps yet high enough to still be practical as a daily driver on more or less any road in the UK.

:icon_thumright:

Caught the odd speedbump, but i'm fine over 99% of them. Any lower and it'd be murder!

Every bodies experience can be different making it hard to make an informed decision.

I've have lowering springs before and my experience was not great.

I would recommend the V maxx 100% in the short time I've had them on.

All my friends ( in real life) prefer coil overs, only because they are adjustable to personal taste where springs are not.

Like I say, everyones experiences are different, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Think you have it sussed with the springs, I bought JOMs (still have them on) and they have given me no end of problems!!!

As they use standard drop links i found that the ARB gets pushed down too far and hits the lower swing arms. Long story short I had to make up custom drop links to avoid this!!!

I think companies advertise them as 30-100mm but tbh the rears dont go down 100mm, i have no adjusters and am probably down 70-80mm if im lucky!!

For £300 your better getting a set of lowering springs as coilovers within that price range arent going to be great. I have springs in mine and wish I had saved a little more and bought some decent coilovers, height adjustment is invaluable. My advice.... Save and buy weitec or KW coilovers. (Approx £650/700)

Thanks for the advice guys.. i can save more but i guess im just a bit reluctant to spend £700 on suspension as im not that flush lately.. plus the girlfriend has an A3 too and will also want a set if i go down that route!

I guess springs it is.

Much appreciated guys.