Rampant front wheel spin in a quattro. No fault codes (VAG.COM). Any ideas?

TonyH50

A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport
Reaction score
Traction control kicks in early on my 54 plate 2.0 TFSI Quattro.
AWD clearly not working.
No fault codes using VAG.com
Testing of Haldex clutch (using Vag.com) indicates no issues.
Disconnected battery for 45min. No change.
It's happened before but cleared itself before investigating.
Prior to this problem wheel spin not an issue. Quattro transfers torque to rear wheels within 1/7 of a wheel revolution of it detecting a front spinning wheel.
The ONLY time I've had traction control kicking in previously is flooring the car in second, in the snow.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm answering my own post here. Borg Warner have advised me to try the following as a functional test of AWD with a Haldex clutch.

Function-test of the Haldex coupling.

- Rollout in circle

Aim: Check the function of the coupling and the response on the car. Is to be done on level ground.

1. Drive in circle with minimum turning radius at a speed of about 10 km/h.
Disengage the clutch and close the throttle.
Let the car roll to full stop.

2. Drive in circle with minimum turning radius at same speed as in case 1.
Disengage the clutch and run up the engine to 3000 – 4000 rpm.
Let the car roll to full stop.

· If the coupling is working the car will stop in about half the distance in case 2 compared with case 1.

· If there is no difference in the two cases there is a malfunction of the coupling. The problem could be caused by the coupling or by missing signals from the car. A further inspection has to be done to be able to determine the cause of the malfunction.

· If a noise from the HLSC is noticed when turning or driving in circles the oil in the coupling is damaged. The damage can be caused by overheating or by water in the oil.

My car failed this test but using VAG-COM to engage the AWD system (controller 22) when turning a tight circle (as described above) it feels like the hand brake is on. I assume my precharge pump is ok in that the AWD system locks front to back axle causing tightness in the tight turns.

I reckon the controller is defective assuming all inputs that prevent AWD working are ok; handbrake, brake pedal/light etc.

I'll post more later.

Last edited: