Do I remove the locking ring? Coilover question ...

TimG

Reaction score
Basically my JOM coilovers dont go low enough up front, so Im thinking of an easy way of getting the little bit lower I want. I fielded the question of removing the locking ring that sits below the spring platform on another forum, and it was met with mixed opinions. Just thought I'd ask what people think on here?

My thoughts are that the locking ring is there to lock the height of the main ring, but it'll be wound to the bottom anyway and the drop link mounting prevents the remaining ring from going any lower.

Since it doesnt need to lock the height, the concern really is the 1 ring providing less support than 2 rings. Im kinda thinking though the worst that can happen is that over time the platform somehow doesnt take the weight of the spring and gives way. This clealry wouldnt be great, but should the worst happen the spring ends up droping a bit until the car rides on the bumpstop/ the spring is caught on the ARB mounting point anyway.

Other people have removed with no issues and I know many brands of coilover only run one adjuster ring anyway, so should I just stop worrying and do it?

A pic to make it easier to understand ...

DSC04603q.jpg

Any more on this as I have the same problem want it lower ??

Would the quartto ones make the car sit higher than non Quattro ? As I think the place I g or mine sold me the wrongs ones

I just googled the locking ring to find the answer and found this thread. Has anyone found out weather this is safe to do? Or is anyone doing this?

I think it would only give 5mm extra drop but it would be worth it if it is safe..