EM TuningBadger5
    2nd Gear

Status

Odd question about previous car key....

Hey guys, as some of you may or may not have known I wrote my first A3 Sportback off in June lasy year, 07 model. Anyway I know the car was going to be rpaired and put back on the road and yesterday I found the spare key for it. What should i do with it? Throw it in the bin? or if I called the DVLA do you think they would pass it on to the new owner? I would post the number plate on here to see if anyone knows where it is, but then I could end up sending the key to someone who could steal it.... Hmmm

2. # ADS
    ADS

Administrator

Status
    I wouldn't expect the DVLA to get involved to be honest. I know it'd be nice to help someone out, particularly when cut & coded keys are as expensive as they are, but I can't help thinking that the only way to ensure a) nothing bad happens, and b) you're not left liable for anything bad happening, would be to destroy it.

Obviously the blade is cut to fit the locks/ignition barrel, but the fob is also a risk on two counts - first of all it's got a transponder (for immobiliser) and then a radio-transceiver (for central locking). The behaviour of the keys is 'static' and the car learns them; so it's not like you could re-code the key to render it useless. Unless the car has had its 'key-memory' cleared and repopulated with only the keys which the new owner has, they will still be paired with the vehicle - and a potential risk.

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

Naj
    Neutral

Status
    I'd be suprised if the DVLA would facilitate this. You could hand it in to your local police station, but I'm sure they would say the have more important things to do.
    04 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You could recode the remote functions to another car, immo is static using a megamos 48 chip iirc that is vin & brand encoded, thus no use to another car, so you could undo the key & destroy the immo capsule, then snap the blade. job done.

I would personally remove the immo chip & recode remote functions to another car, then decode the key by as Rob is discussing clearing learnt keys, then its useless until recoded to someone else's car & get a new immo chip for it.

You got a pic of the key & whats the part number behind the blade, I may have a need for one for research if its up for grabs, I'll happily remove the immo & functions of it so its safe mate.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks guys for your advice...but...

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    You could recode the remote functions to another car, immo is static using a megamos 48 chip iirc that is vin & brand encoded, thus no use to another car, so you could undo the key & destroy the immo capsule, then snap the blade. job done.

I would personally remove the immo chip & recode remote functions to another car, then decode the key by as Rob is discussing clearing learnt keys, then its useless until recoded to someone else's car & get a new immo chip for it.

You got a pic of the key & whats the part number behind the blade, I may have a need for one for research if its up for grabs, I'll happily remove the immo & functions of it so its safe mate.
    Your welcome to have it, Ill take a picture now...

2nd Gear

Status
    Its the flip key type, cant quite make out the part number though sorry.

Last edited by welshwoody; 25th September 2011 at 20:42.

2nd Gear

Status
    Its 8P0 837 220 D
    HELLA 434 Mhz
    5FA 009 272- 11
    H22/SL1

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah thats a good research tool, thanks

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yeah thats a good research tool, thanks
    Ok if you PM me your address details Ill post it out to you.