Replacement Xenon Bulbs

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone help me please? I need a replacement Xenon bulb for my 07 A3, where is the best place to get one from and can you get brighter ones than standard ones?

Thanks in advance

The brightness of Xenons are measured in colour temperature (Kelvin). Generally; the higher the number, the bluer the light. Hence why you see some cars with bluey / purple xenons.

Audis come fitted with 4300kv as standard.

To give you an idea of the different colour temperatures, this might be of some use as a rough guide...

COLOR-TEMP.jpg

The higher up the scale you go though, the less distance the light projects (kind of defeating the purpose of your headlights?). So a 12000K won't project as far as 4300k. IMO, I wouldn't go higher than 6000k, 8000k at a push.

Thanks for the information, I would probably go for the 6000k bulbs but what fitment are they? Are they D1's ?

Last edited:
Not sure about the fitment mate, not had to change mine so not looked into it.

Done a search in the forums and it's not come up with much, but it has come up with this...

Might be worth following this to get to your bulbs and see what fitment they say on them? You'll notice in the above thread it says "D1S 35W..." on the label on the back of the bulb. Best bet would be to see what yours say as it's an expensive gamble if you guess and order the wrong ones :ermm:

Hi Guys,

FYI I just bought 'Neolux NX1S 35W PK32d-2' D1Ss from Motex for £49 each.
Standard OEM output (4100k I think) and made by Osram.

Anyone have a working link with pics or pdf of how to fit them please?
The tutorial posted by smudge_don has dead pics and I have no idea how to fit them...do I really have to remove the bumper and/or headlights?

Help would be great please.

Removing the bumper is the easiest way to get to your headlights. It's not as bad as it sounds. You may be able to get the bulbs out but not back in. That's what i found when i did mine, so after messing with it for ages and scraping my knuckles etc i opted for the bumper removal. It's pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Andybubbs
Ah that's great thanks Matt!

I have a mate who is a lorry fitter (!) who has offered to help me replace them....haven't told him the "good news" about the bumper yet....not sure he will be quite as willing when I tell him...

Are there any tips you may have (Hidden screws to look out for etc.)?

Thanks again mate :yahoo:

If you can get a good grip with a couple of fingers, pull off the rubber sealing cap, turn the square metal base about 45deg. and it will pull out. The slimmer the fingers the better, think teenager!

Gents,

Thank you all (Especially Ash187) for your kind help. Getting them sorted this weekend.

Cheers