Chris NottEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

starting issues on 54 a3 quattro tdi

just bought an audi a3 quattro yesterday and this morning i noticed that when i start if from cold it starts rough and a puff of smoke comes out the back,does anyone have any ideas what it could be

2. # ADS
    ADS

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    get vcds/vag-com scan done.....id check the coolant sensor first,when cars at normal temp check reading of sensor via measuring blocks must read over 80 degrees,if not bin it and fit a new one.....start there first.
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Starts rough from cold, could be glowplugs on a car that old or the starter, coolant sensors are another but for me not my 1st port of call based on your report.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    yeah it starts rough and then missfires and smokes a bit,once its warm its perfect though,

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You see it could be a combo of things, glowplugs faulty coupled with a wornout starter, equals overfuelled from attempted starts & hence smokey/misfires possibly, you need to get it on a diag tool to check glowplugs 1st of all, also as stated above can also check coolant senders whilst you're logged in as its not much bother, then check if they pan out, maybe chnage a starter over.

I have a starter if interested.

2nd Gear

Status
    Off topic, but I've got an old 110 TDI which does exactly the same thing. It doesn't use any oil or water. I changed the coolant sensor which was goosed, also the glow plugs which in hindsight were probably fine, the battery which in hindsight was definitely fine. Since then I've suspected a lazy starter motor, it looks to be on it's original one. My mates were slating me when I suggested a lazy starter motor though. Can the motor be tested without swapping it out?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Starters suffer from heatsoak of the gearbox casing which has been an issue on allot of cars tbh over the years, creates more resistance afaik & therefore lack of current & creates a lazy starter, certainly newer one wont hurt it, I cant guarantee it will fix, but if you've changed everything but that, then it would be my next part to change.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers. Looking at the housing of the motor it would appear to be suffering more from being previously used as the starter on the Titanic rather than heat soak though Having said that it doesn't smoke at all when warm.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Problem seems to be the effects on the solenoid etc, guessing the amount of heat has some detrimental effects on the coil etc.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers, it does give the classic VAG whirr now and again which ties in with the solenoid.

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    my ladys golf has same issue.........deffo the starter.
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

Neutral

Status
    Mine still smokes for a bit after it started though,if I leave it ticking over it will smoke for a bit

Shiny S line Quattro

Status
    Hi mate just had exactly same issue on my 2005 TDI Quattro also been having turbo problems but I think I've found the culprit. The air mass sensor on the intake pipe which sends signals controlling fueling. When mine started it initially idled roughly for first few seconds then cleared but once idling settled down grey smoke bellowed from exhaust then stopped. I disconnected air mass sensor and started car it started pefectly with no smoke at all and tickover was smooth. I then removed air mass sensor and blew it out with a vac I have that sucks or blows (no funny comments) I then rebuilt it all reconnected the air mass sensor and It starts and runs fine again. I had noticed prior to this that my economy was starting to worsen now its back to its old self again. If my air mass sensor is faulty and the issue arises again I'm just going to get a new one, but touchwood its fine at present. Hope this helps It did for me. Cheers

Neutral

Status
    ok i just put the vag com thingy on it and its come back with a misfire on cylinder 1,what could cause this im thinking maby a stick injector not closing properly