DSG - any tricks?

medicineman

Reaction score
I've always found a good group of people like yourselvesd more knowledgable than the salesman when it comes to down to it. For example I discovered that the BM SMG system has a hill start function which engages when your pull the - paddle. I was wondering if the DSG has any similiar functions. I only know about launch control so far.

Thanks Japper, exactly what I was looking for.
Seems the DSG is very different to the SMG system which didn't creep and rolled back all the way.

A couple more questions if you don't mind folks.

Does the DSG automatically shift up in manual mode if you redline (SMG didn't it would bounce off the red line all day long) and by the looks of things if you have it in auto and then hit the paddle it switches off auto for 20 secs? (SMG used to switch permenantly back to manual in this case)

cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Does the DSG automatically shift up in manual mode if you redline (SMG didn't it would bounce off the red line all day long) and by the looks of things if you have it in auto and then hit the paddle it switches off auto for 20 secs? (SMG used to switch permenantly back to manual in this case)

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it automatically changes up, so you can't bounce off the limiter. This isn't a problem on a diesel variant, but I can see the frustration to petrol owners.

Yes, the time out switches back to auto mode after 20 secs or so, from the last use of the paddles.

The Audi salemen have been told not to tell the customer about Lauch control, as they have had a few gearbox problems with owners going over the top and using it too much.

I only found out from this forum that my A3 that im collecting next has Launch Control !!! a great little toy to talk about down the pub /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, SMG and DSG are quite a bit different systems technically also, while trying to fill the same spot. I don't know why BMW went for the SMG way, DSG's principal is well known and old technology, but probably the reason has something to do with torque handling.

SMG is not that smooth, but it's almost as fast to change gears (almost). Anyway, DSG is more automatic than SMG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Have the rumours about so many launch controls invalidating the warranty started yet? Seem to be rife with the SMG launch control. More than X number invalidates your warranty you know etc....

[ QUOTE ]
Have the rumours about so many launch controls invalidating the warranty started yet? Seem to be rife with the SMG launch control. More than X number invalidates your warranty you know etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

When DSG was first introduced to great acclaim in the TT it was mentioned that Audi guarantee'd the DSG box with limitless launches.

[ QUOTE ]
SMG is not that smooth, but it's almost as fast to change gears (almost). Anyway, DSG is more automatic than SMG....

[/ QUOTE ]

Both manual boxes ( with no torque converter ) with clutch / clutches operated by electronically. Only difference is DSG changes quicker, especially dropping from 6th to 2nd.

Other one is based on one clutch with almost basic manual box idea. DSG isn't with it's dual clutch system. There's a difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Other one is based on one clutch with almost basic manual box idea. DSG isn't with it's dual clutch system. There's a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

So having two clutches makes it more of an auto then ??? not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, how it works makes it more auto. The SMG system has more feel of a basic clutch system than DSG.

Both are of course automatics when it comes to it, but there's more sporty feeling in SMG, since it's not that smooth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I recently read in EVO mag that BMW won't use DSG type as its too smooth. The SMG single clutch gives the sporty, engaging feel they want so they'll stick with it.

Having driven an M3 SMG I prefer DSG 95% of the time. May be on that early sunday blast then the jarring, mechanical, fast change of an SMG in 'M' sport mode would be nicer. I'll stick with DSG feel for 95% of my motoring.

I hope in 2 years when I sell my A3, that the current S4 has a DSG option - wey-hey!