power conection behind the stearingwheel?

I

imported_trident21

If i´m not misstaking there was a thread about this some mounths ago? Can anyone please tell me where to find them? I´bean looking like a fool, but cant find it. Someone in this thread sad that there should be a par of boults one with power and one with power only when the car is turned on.
1697_3fd979e0bda3bf7bbf82dd6cc45bca5f.jpg

I believe that was me. Cant confirm but on the A4 there is this setup under the steering cowel. Should be similar on A3. So you need to remove the plastic cowel under the steering column.

Then you'll need a multimeter to figure out which is live and switched live.

Hope this helps !

Thanks, shall cheak this... and come back when its done....

I have posted on this a number of times and spent ages trawling Audi forums and the web for an answer. I could not find these terminals on my A3 when I took the dashboard out, nor could I manage to remove the fuse box and get an ignition switched feed from there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I am sure that there must be one or two people who have done this to wire in a phone, aftermarket HU or radar detector. I am sure it would be hugely appreciated if they could give a bit of advice.

Toby.

There'll be a switched pos on the back of the stereo head unit.

On my previous 4 cars the mobile phone fitters have always picked up the pos and switched pos from the back of the radio - has to be there surely. Never took the steering cowl off.

On my A4 they had a block with fitted between the radio and its power plug and brough out the pos, neg and sw pos and mute.

[ QUOTE ]
There'll be a switched pos on the back of the stereo head unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortuantely not; the use of the CAN BUS system means that there is only +ve and -ve, but no switched. I wish there were or else it would be dead easy.

Toby.

Toby,

If thats the case then how do normally after market stere'os work (and mobile phone kits)? Without the switched power feed te stereo wouldn't power of with the ignition switch...

Just a thought I haven't got my car so can't check for one.

J.

The wires are diffrent in cars that are made for aftermarket radios....

But you can fit an aftermarket stereo to the A3 I've seen pics... So there must be a switch power lead in the loom for the stereo...

J.

Do you mean to aftermount a stereo in a car with consert or symfony? or in a car without any radio? How do you know that the aftermounted has e switch power source? And that they hasn´t take the power frome the battery?

If you buy a car that are configured for a aftermarket radio has a diffrent cabel to the radion than the ones that has a orginal radio....

marriedblonde is right - car kits, eps. bluetooth need switched power. I have seen some people refer to taking this off the "bus bar" which is accessed behind the fusebox, and indeed the SIO Comms. forums confirmed this. However, the blunt reality was that no matter what I did, I could not remove the fuse box.

Most aftermarket stereos will use switched power so they can go off with the ignition etc. However, I have yet to read *exactly* where anyone has taken switched power from. It would be ideal if the terminals were by the steering column, but I simply can't see them.

Toby.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean to aftermount a stereo in a car with consert or symfony? or in a car without any radio? How do you know that the aftermounted has e switch power source? And that they hasn´t take the power frome the battery?

If you buy a car that are configured for a aftermarket radio has a diffrent cabel to the radion than the ones that has a orginal radio....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya Trident,

I mean that you can fit an aftermarket stereo, in the uk at least, to any of the A3's! Regardless of whatever stereo has been fitted. I asked for some pictures of after market stereo's fitted at the begining and a couple of members on here posted up pic's for me.

J.

Toby,

You can buy autoleads adapters for the A3 to fit car kits to the stadnard head units. These power the car kits and also sort out the mute so there must be a switched power feed in there. I'll let you knw saturday when I get my car as I am planning on hard wiring my RA2 to my car.

J.

marriedblonde - I have an Autoleads adapter, complete with resistor inline to handle interference. Unfortuantely, they do not deal with the ignition sense wire as there simply is none behind the stereo. You have to source this yourself - the question is exactly how/where! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Toby.

Just my 2 cents...

I've got the Sportback without radio. I was going to mount a Becker Mexico Pro myself, but I was surprised to only see 3 wires on the black connector. I soon figured out that one was for the mass, the other for the permanent power.
There's a third (blue) wire sitting on the position where normally the wire connected to the light switch is found. My radio however doesn't seem to react when I put on my lights (it did however on my Bora). I would appreciate if somebody could tell me which wire it is. I think there's still 2 possibilities left: the power cable for the antenne or the wire for the speed indicator.

I can't help you find the switched power source, but I can tell you that there's one. I went to my local car dealer and they have installed my radio. It was an hour of work to get it connected to a switched power cable. I didn't stay for the installation so I can't tell you how they did it. The dealer hower told me that they can wire it directly to the power switch or to the fusebox. That's all I can tell...

I can't understand why Audi doesn't provide any more wires. On VW's you get (or buy) a complete set of wires. They're not fitted in the right position but your dealer can easily rearrange them (or you can do it yourself if you have the equipment to do it)

[ QUOTE ]
marriedblonde - I have an Autoleads adapter, complete with resistor inline to handle interference. Unfortuantely, they do not deal with the ignition sense wire as there simply is none behind the stereo. You have to source this yourself - the question is exactly how/where! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Toby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok now it is all becoming clear!!!! Trident is right (sorry matey ignorrance is bliss!)

Toby,

Leave it with me I have a contact I have emailed and a multi meter ready for saturday!
Fingers crossed I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll let you know when I figure anything or find anything out.
J.

Oh the joys of Multiplexed wiring ! ! !

For the ignition feed, there is no wire for the stereo as this is taken by the can bus link. On the A4 you can tap into the revers light switch feed from the fuse box, Blue with Black tracer. Will check my CFDs and check where on the sport back/A3. Report back tomorrow

I have an aftermarket radio installed in my a3 sportback, and I've also seen where they took the power (continuous and ignition). I could take some photos when I get home from Helsinki(that is monday).

SimoP - that would be fantastic! I'm sure it would be of help to others too.

Toby.

It was actually a semi enducated guess (fitted quite a few radar detectors in my time!), removed the fuse box lid and had a look at what fuses where for what, picked a low amp one and then checked it was switched with a meter. Hit the jackpot first time!!!! Lucky me (usually it tkaes for ever and day and it's always the last fuse in the box thats the one that's switched)...

I removed the fuse box cover, the plastic panel under the dash and then with a screw driver unclipped the back of the fuse box exposing the cables. After removing the fuse I used a scotch lock to connect in my RA2 positive power cable.

I have a feeling the cable in the back of the fuse box is purple with a black stripe but it was fuse 18

J.

mariedblonde - that's great! - thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Did you undo the screws at all to get the fusebox back off? I couldn't get to any of it despite spending ages prying at it with the screwdriver...

Toby.

You can get the back off without having to undo the 2 bolts that hold it in place. Theres a clip on the top, bottom and the front (as you look at it from the steering wheel side if that makes sense!0 it will then slide off towards the centre of the car.

J.

[ QUOTE ]

Well I'm fitting my road angel tomorrow and I'm going to pull the power for it from one of the spare fuses.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a switched supply from the feed to the fog lights for a Road Angel. Just bought a ciggie lighter from Halfrauds, wired it in then connected the RA up and off we go.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Rick

Marriedblonde - that's great! I will have a go when I get chance and report back.

Out of interest, Rick, when you say the feed to the fog lights, do you mean the feed to the fog light fuse?

Toby.