Sky InsuranceChris Nott

Thread: Debadging

Reverse Gear

Status

Debadging

Hi Guys first post so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I've got a 2008 Black A3 1.6 s-line. I've toyed with the idea of having the RS4 alloys sprayed anthracite but gone off that now due to cost etc...

Anyway, on the back is the `A3' badge and '1.6'. The car is coming up to 3 years old but I'd quite like these taken off. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm worried it will ruin the paint behind. I'm planning on having this done by a garage by the way.

Thanks

Last edited by jag625; 20th September 2011 at 17:08.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Why bother? Bit like shaving your legs really!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry, think i've deleted my first post. I'm not gonna lie, its partly because 1.6 ruins the look (probably stupid on my part) !! Also I've seen others that look good without them.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Why bother? Bit like shaving your legs really!
    maybe so but im sure you prefer a shaven haven??
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    I like the idea of de-badging as I have no wish to reveal aspects or information about my private life or possessions.. It's nobody else's business what model of car I have or what the engine size is, or whether it's a T for Turd or Turbo, much less whether I am 16, 18 or 20 or flicking V's 6 times. Am also aware that sad insecure twits like to add number badges that do not relate to their car or sadder still for example stick an M badge on a poverty spec. Council BMW. Worse are those for whom having a big number badge is an ego trip.

So...........off came the A3 badge and off came the 2.0 badge and whatever TFSIABCDi rubbish was glued to the boot panel. Left the pretty circles though. May also remove the side mounted S-Line badges as well.

If I had a base 1.6 then the badge would most certainly be binned - much more fun to leave others guessing than to give them a reason to sneer.

MPG the new BPH

Status
    if mine was 1.6 it would come off

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

4th Gear

Status
    I've left mine badged pretty much for the fact that the newer 140 2.0TDIs have single exhaust and I dont want it to look like a 1.6. (no offence intended to any 1.6 owners)
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

MPG the new BPH

Status
    is that the clean diesel ?

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

3rd Gear

Status
    Use some floss to take the badge off.
    Pick off the big bits of sticking foam with your fingers
    hand polish the area to take the glue off.
    done!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    there is some really good solution called sticky stuff remover. used it on my gti to debadge

Neutral

Status
    Tardis usually does the job of getting the residue off

1st Gear

Status
    I have debadged numerous cars now and i always do it the same way.. as said above use something to carefully pry them off and then pick off the big bits of glue, Then best thing i have found to use is autoglym tar and glue remover.. spread a fair amount of that on the glue and leave for a few minutes to soak in and then rub the glue off with a soft cloth.
    Then its just a case of a quick wash of the area to get rid of the T&G remover then polish up.
    Should come up nice and clean considering it is only 3 years old.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've always used a hairdryer to heat up the glue then put floss underneath the lettering to pry it away finishing with tar remover. On topic though I personally prefer a debadged rear, makes the back end look much cleaner in my opinion.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by slade777 View Post
    I've left mine badged pretty much for the fact that the newer 140 2.0TDIs have single exhaust and I dont want it to look like a 1.6
    Its all about

No exhaust

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

where did you find a s3 valance with no exhaust cut out?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    where did you find a s3 valance with no exhaust cut out?
    Where did I find it? I didn't its been plastic welded lad. Shows how factory the job looks huh

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

yh defo! thats a bloody good job! not that i would want that as i like my exhaust showing but still very good job there!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Neutral

Status
    What did you do in the end to get the badges off? i also want to do this to mine without making a mess

Neutral

Status
    I'm leaving my current cars badges at the moment but on my previous car i used fishing line to remove the badges to preserve the paint behind and then used WD40 to remove the glue residue.
    It works a treat.
    Last edited by DixonH; 24th November 2011 at 21:15.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

heat the badges up with a hair dryer so the glue becomes soft then use the above method.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

Neutral

Status
    thankyou will try this at the weekend

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    heat the badges up with a hair dryer so the glue becomes soft then use the above method.
    Good idea, i did mine in the summer but you'd need it in these temperatures.
    A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Quattro (200 bhp+) BFT tuned DPF removed.

Engage the beige!

Status
    Take it all off!

2005 Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDI in Dakar Beige
    FK Coilovers, 19" BBS Speedline (Summer Wheels), 18" BBS CK Replicas (Winter Wheels)

Flying low level

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Helifella On Twitter
    Each car i've had has been debadged, personally think it looks cleaner. My new A3 SB was spec'd without the model & engine but i'm not sure whether to leave the rings. Hadn't thought of removing the tiny S-Line badges off the sides but as it's a black edition I think these will be falling off in the morning. The car is white so will look super clean.

Just watching the R8 build on Megafactories Nat Geo +1
    Regards
    HeliFella

I.A.M. Member http://www.iam.org.uk/about-us/

'61 spec, A3 Sportback S-Line Black Edition in Ibis White, EM Tuning upgraded LED extended interior XL lightpack,
    Duxback Glass Treatment, Diamond Vision front fog lights, shortened number plates,
    gloss black rear rings & black edition S-line wing badges. Blackvue DR550GW 2 channel in-car camera with Smart Power battery protection.

2nd Gear

Status
    mine...waiting on a quattro badge (silver with red lettering) so i can attach the 3.2 back

1st Gear

Status
    Go to your friendly craft shop and buy a tin of sticky label glue remover. Carefully prise off badge (do not use screwdriver just your fingers and nails ), be careful not to scratch paintwork with edges opf badge as you do this. Spray glue remover onto residual sticky pad that held badge and allow a few minutes to soak, then wipe off with your fingers DO NOT WIPE WITH A DRY CLOTH otherwise you will microscratch paintwork. You may have to apply more than one dose of glue remover. You will be left with a clean panel and just maybe the slight outline of the badge very very slightly engraved into the surface of the paintwork. Wax and polish and the job done.
    Like others who have posted I have done this many many times without any damage to the paintwork at all.
    On a personal taste note. If you are going to de-badge consider carefully about replacing them with one of those awful racing circuit stickers - the Nurburgring one the worse, as seen on every council estate Astra Merit 1.0. SO Chav. and ultra-naff.

2nd Gear

Status
    i use a hairdryer,heat the badge up and gently start moving it,the hotter it get the more easy it is to peel off

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WAFTER View Post
    If you are going to de-badge consider carefully about replacing them with one of those awful racing circuit stickers - the Nurburgring one the worse, as seen on every council estate Astra Merit 1.0. SO Chav. and ultra-naff.
    whats wrong with mine then?

MPG the new BPH

Status
    heres mine