I need some help on alloys......And lowering.....

I

imported_tobycruse

Hi everyone,

Go easy on me as this is my first post about alloys, i only really know about ice at the moment!
I've got A3 2.0 FSI Model 8P 3 door and i was looking at changing the alloys. Does anyone know what the biggest size of wheel you can put on my model of car with out changing anything? I was looking at some 18" RS4/6 replicas, would these go on ok? Who makes the best replicas? And where is a good place to get them from? What about tyres, who makes the best tyres?

Also, if i wanted to lower my car, give it that mean look, how do i go about it? What suspension/shocks should i get? How should i go about getting it installed? How much should one lower a car? How much should i expect to pay for a suspension kit and how much would it cost to have it fitted?

Sorry for all the questions but i am a real newbie at this and any help would be much appricatied!

I know absolutely nothing about wheels, tyres, modifying suspension etc... but I can say that my s-line has 18" RS-6 wheels on it (the standard Audi ones) and they obviousy work fine (and look great IMHO!)

I'm sure someone will fill you in on the rest!

Yea, I really want to get some 18" RS6 wheels. Do you have a pic of your car with them on so i may see?

18"s will fit on no problem. I met someone who had 20"s on his A3 and he only had slight rubbing, I have 19"s slammed and no rubbing whatsoever.
Not sure about who makes the best replicas, I think richy got his 19"s RS6's from Rochford Tyres?
As for who makes the best tyres everyone has their own opinion, I currently have Toyos and they are running great, but i've heard great stuff about Pirelli P-Zeros.

As for suspension, it depends how much you want to spend/how low you want to go.
Coilovers will set you back in the range of 600-1000 and should give you as much lowering as you want. Otherwise go for springs for a slight lowering and cheaper option (also retains alot more of the comfort - I belive)
Hope this helps. However like Paul_M said, i'm sure the others will fill you in!

Hope ya don't mind me hijacking your thread T.Cruse, I was just about to post the exact same question!

I currently have 17 Parabolics which I was perfectly happy with....until I saw Trident21's pics of his lowered 3.2 on 19in RS6's....Me want!

I'm also thinking of putting the front Votex skirt and boot spoiler on too like trident. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Does anyone know what Performance Tyres come as standard with the 19in RS6 Rochford replicas? What Springs should I get, how much ££, how much should I lower by, How will the Lower profile tyres and wheels and springs affect ride quality? I'm not so worried about handling as tbh I only do about 4000miles a year and never really get a chance to push the car anywhere near its limits. Definately no potholed back roads, mostly town driving with a few speed bumps thrown in. Do I risk grounding on bumps and Carpark ramps etc etc

My final question is whether my 17in Parabolics would fit my brothers MKIV golf?

Changed mind, I think I'd be happy with the car lowered and on 18in RS6's.

I found a german site btw with loads of pics of users A3 (8P)'s. Got to see cose to what I wanted, ie a black A3 with boot spoiler and 18in RS6's(no front votex skirt though. Here is the link: http://www.audi4ever.at/tb/index.php

Calibos, I know exactly what you mean.. when I saw trident21s car, I decided to do the same.

heavy 19" wheels have been cussed here for handling, so i was in a dilemma - handling vs looks. but I'm treating this as an 'interim' car, rule changes permitting, no claims bonus building - i.e. a car to last a minimum of a year and to look good!

yesterday i decided on the 19" rs6 replicas, but having seen that german site, i think i'll have to stick to 18s as well as 19" costs, risk of damage and performance loss are just toooooo high. Its a really tough call isn't it?!

...until you find out the price of 19" tyres!

I got the Rs6's in 18" on mine along with rear spoiler and front skirt but haven't lowered it. Could only afford so much but might consider getting the side skirts and rear valence soon.

Yes. Because of the dish of the Rs6's they fill them a bit better than standard 18's.

is your car black? if so, I'll end up with a copy of yours instead of Trident21s wheels are on!!

especially once I get to RSD for an Oettinger remap!

No mauritius blue. Didn't have a choice really it was an ex-demo. Like the red.

ex-demo's the way to go!

have you seen the arospeed RS-GTs? seriously considering a set of black or gunmetal ni 18". But the spokes don't connect to the outer rim, so they look smaller than they actually are... decisions...