Suspension Kit vs. Springs+Dampers

shresh

Reaction score
Website
none
As above, I want to impove my car's road hugging abilities, but I am on a tight budget.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of going for a whole suspension kit (not coilovers as these are way out of budget) over a respected set-up like H&R springs + Bilstein dampers - quality, reliability, price... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Like most here, I want to get the biggest improvements possible for as little money as possible!

cheers in advance

richy - how much are the fk kits?

I am after a very decent ride, and am strongly considering the tried and tested H&R spring/Bilstein damper setup. I am just wondering if I can get a better performing 'integrated' kit for less?

However I dont want to get into ARBs (still not sure what they are) and bushes and the like as my budget stops before Ess_Three's!

well the height and damper adjustable coilovers are £500/£600 depending where u get them...

so the normal kits are going to be well below that...

really? the coilover kits I've seen have been around the £1000 mark.

I am looking for a quality brand I can trust, and so have probably been looking at some expensive sites as well!

which manufacturer does a £600 set?

either way, i have no use or time for an adjustable set up in my TDi - that will wait for my next, and hopefully fast, car!

i was looking at koni shocks, specials & sport shocks adjustable damping but they about the 500 quid mark
special offer up to 30% firmness adjustment and sport 25% and up

koni's are definently tried and tested!

ok... i feel like a complete idiot now... i dont know how i failed to make the link of ARB = Anti Roll Bar!!!

I had just springs on my golf mk4 with standard shocks. and turn in improved considerably as well as body roll, but the ride suffered badly. this time i want to change the shocks as well as and try to understand more about the car handling.

I heard the Konis can be too stiff but i guess thats down to settings. Basically my budget is about £500, stretchable slightly if the gains are worthwhile of course! #

What would be recommended? Also with the H&R/Bilstein setup, which ones are the dampers to have as they have a few models.