Lumpy start & turnover on 2007 A3 2.0ltr tdi dsg sportback s-line

leecool

Reaction score
Hi Folks, been meaning to ask......

I recently got a 2007 A3 sportback s-line dsg , when starting the engine sorta judders a little & I have to throttle a little too. Dont get me wrong, the car's running flawlessly, it's just that judder & extra kick to start it thats buggin me . My glow plugs go out in bout 2-3 seconds, is that normal weatha theyre good or bad?(neva had audi b4) or is it the more fkd they get the longer they take to heat up like most diesels? Thats what I thought anyway.
I mean it never fails to start, but its that slight reluctency is eating at me.
Does anyone else suffer this?? It doesnt seem like a fault & its hard to try & explain this without it sounding bad if you know what I mean? Car's flying in all other aspect!
Any sorta ideas welcome!
cheers guys.

Suggest you have the car scanned and see what that brings up. Your glow plugs timing is about right, and I don't think that this changes much over their lifetime. Another thing to think about is the battery (4 years old?) and starter motor. Easy to try a known good battery, but the starter is more difficult. Have heard on this site that A3 starter motors can give this kind of trouble. Remember with a diesel there is a high compression to overcome, and they do need a big kick to fire first time. Good luck.

Ok just to clarify before giving any info, so are you saying its the starting part that is a little dodgy or is it immediately after its already started that it is a little ropey?

Hi Folks, been meaning to ask......

I recently got a 2007 A3 sportback s-line dsg , when starting the engine sorta judders a little & I have to throttle a little too. Dont get me wrong, the car's running flawlessly, it's just that judder & extra kick to start it thats buggin me . My glow plugs go out in bout 2-3 seconds, is that normal weatha theyre good or bad?(neva had audi b4) or is it the more fkd they get the longer they take to heat up like most diesels? Thats what I thought anyway.
I mean it never fails to start, but its that slight reluctency is eating at me.
Does anyone else suffer this?? It doesnt seem like a fault & its hard to try & explain this without it sounding bad if you know what I mean? Car's flying in all other aspect!
Any sorta ideas welcome!
cheers guys.

I had this problem about 3 months ago and thought nothing of it as it came and went and nothing had been flagged up at the previous service. Then just over a week ago I had a problem (see thread: A Happy Ending) and the upshot was one of the Injectors had failed. A linked reply flagged up that a lot of people had issues with '07 plate DSG models (as mine is). I would suggest looking at the thread (if I can find the link I will) and then getting someone to take a look at the injectors - if they are fine, great, if not you may just save yourself a lot of hassle (and possibly cost!). After I had problems with the start, as you are mentioning, the next thing that happened (although it is only with hindsight that I noticed it) was that the car stuttered a little under hard acceleration and wasn't as smooth as it should be. Yours sounds as if it doesn't have this problem, yet! Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Hi there NHN, its actually as i turn the key, a slight judder as if its not gettin enuff fuel. we are talking seconds here! turn the key & jugg jugg vroom! The car is running like a dream tho, tickover sweet as a nut too! My missus got a 1.4 polo dune & the starting is instant, as on most cars. Its not causing me any problems, just wanted to try & find out about it.
chheers
Lee.

Cheers tannerpp.
Yeah I see what you mean, but as of yet car is firing on all cyliders when you bury your foot into the shagpile. I have worked on my cars for years & had no probs fixing any niggles etc. but Audi is a different kettle of fish.
It duz sound like fuel starvation tho. I'l keep searching, thanx for the post.

I have this problem too :(

Don't have a clue what it is but I have a 1.9tdi 06 plate BKC. When the car is cold it starts straight away however when it is hot and I start the car up its like I have to twist my key and it's not as quick and has a massive judder when it fires up.

I've had a remap and hot start fix but hasn't cured anything. Also no codes apart from one glow plug out. Which is weird because I had all glow plugs changed but glow plug 2 still said its out.