BI-XENONS & LEDS -Just what is legal?

coxy16

why oh why
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to retro fit Bi-Xenons headlights with LED DRLs to my A3 and after reading various posts I am a little confused as to the correct requirements needed to be road legal...

Could anybody please confirm that if fitting the bi-xenons you are also reqiured by law to have headlight washer jets and auto-leveling.
Also please confirm if AFS is a requirement....Depending if your headlights are AFS compatable???????

Appologies for duplicating posts on here already but there is quite a lot of ambiguity on the subject and I would greatly appreciate any information to make my project legal

THANX IN ADVANCE

There are a few members on here that have done this. Try pm user NHN or Khufu, sorry thats all i can remember in user names. Welcome to ASN.

This isn't true.

They are meant to be bringing it in for MOT purposes from January 2012, but it is not confirmed and the MOT stations so far have not been informed what the official requirements will be.

There are a few things that are listed as coming in that simply aren't workable, so at this stage no one can tell you exactly what is or isn't legal.

Why does everyone flatly contradict me when i post these days. I would not post unless i had made sure what i was saying was right.

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

s
ection 2 No. 2
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

I agree with 'paddy'. They may not be required for a car to pass the MOT yet, but it is illegal to fit aftermarket Xenons HIDs WITH or WITHOUT the headlamps washers and self-leveling. The only thing that is legal is to fit complete Xenon HID units including headlamp washers and self-leveling that have be used by the manufacturer to get Type Approval.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal (i.e. Do not have Type Approval for the particular model of car concerned)

Read the link to the Department for Transport's document using the like paddy has provided.

Thanx everyone for the posts....

That clarifies that then.... Washers and self leveling it is ,does anyone know who does the whole lot in one go or am i better sourcing all the parts myself and then getting them fitted?

I know its not a cheap upgrade hence why i wanted clarification..
Anymore info on the parts would be greatly appreciated also.

Thanx again guys

bi-xenon fitment=

headlights
washers
autolevelling...

thats it! no other way! dont matter what anyone else says!

i think i am right in saying AFS is standard on on the LED version.
but that is part of the autolevelling kit.

This isn't true.

They are meant to be bringing it in for MOT purposes from January 2012, but it is not confirmed and the MOT stations so far have not been informed what the official requirements will be.

There are a few things that are listed as coming in that simply aren't workable, so at this stage no one can tell you exactly what is or isn't legal.

No, we do know & they are documented on the VOSA site as highlighted by Paddy in his reference to the lighting changes. Those testers who are attending refresher courses are being taught about the changes already.

End of day, MOT aside, it has always been a road traffic offense to have xenons without the autoleveling & washers, its not a new thing. If you got a bad tempered traffic cop you could be looking at a CU60.

well i didnt know that. so cars with xenons and no washers are ok as log as they are factory fitted before 2012?

well i didnt know that. so cars with xenons and no washers are ok as log as they are factory fitted before 2012?

The Audi factories have never fitted Xenons without washers and self-levelling because it's illegal. If you fit factory units yourself and don't fit washers and self-levelling they are also illegal. If you fit aftermarket rather than manufacturer supplied units they are illegal with or without washers and self-levelling. The fact that the MOT test does not yet include a check for them does not make them legal.

Thanx for clarification..

Part numbers for the upgrade would be great if anybody knows..
Is there a link to another post?

Greatly appreciate members help and information

CHEERS

It may seem anal but aftermarket headlights really need clamping down on as they're one of the most dangerous things imaginable. Whether it's poorly fitted HIDs or just the crappy 'xenon' bulbs in normal reflector lamps, the potential for dazzing other traffic is very real.

The Audi factories have never fitted Xenons without washers and self-levelling because it's illegal. If you fit factory units yourself and don't fit washers and self-levelling they are also illegal. If you fit aftermarket rather than manufacturer supplied units they are illegal with or without washers and self-levelling. The fact that the MOT test does not yet include a check for them does not make them legal.

so long story short dont bother trying to retroffit drl's xenons?

It may seem anal but aftermarket headlights really need clamping down on as they're one of the most dangerous things imaginable. Whether it's poorly fitted HIDs or just the crappy 'xenon' bulbs in normal reflector lamps, the potential for dazzing other traffic is very real.

must admit i have been blinded by crap cars like fiesta's with hids. peeeez me off

so long story short dont bother trying to retroffit drl's xenons?

why not? its a fun job and it looks great when its complete... its not THAT hard to do... break it up to 3 parts and enjoy the process...
1. bi-xenons with DRLs
2. washers
3. auto levellers

and then you have a complete system legal and functional

Reactions: 55_UK
seems like a lot of work lol just about done my sline conversion

done all 3 required parts & there is a feeling of satisfaction that i wired it all in & the trim doesnt creek ROFL

To be fair I still need to do the auto levelling but I have had no issues with other drivers flashing me as my xenons are not pointing up and are levelled correctly. Khufu how much did the auto levelling kit cost and how long did it take to wire in?

took me a while as i waited to get parts of ebay. Both sensors were around the £40 mark despite both actually being brand new (are over £100 new each). The module wasnt too hard to pick up, plenty on ebay. There are quite a few wires to be honest! Being down south you might have better luck getting parts from a scrappie, especially hopefully the wiring! I ended up using (dont laugh) speaker wire i got cheap, its also actually heavier duty that the OEM LOL. I then bought repair wires & multiplug from TPS for the connectors, they are about £2.50 for a pair i'm afraid (do the maths!!!). You can use only one of the original wires that go to the lights from the light switch as the other joins together in the loom for both sides & thats no use to you.

The rear sensor can be wired through the N/S wheel arch under the lining, if you remove rear seat you will see the grommet the ABS uses. The front i used same access as the N/S front ABS and then brought up under the scuttle tray across to the O/S and into cabin using the usual method under the wiper motor.

I must confess, if they are set correctly I cant see them being too much of an issue in general use in the time being as they dont move that much.

Ewan

Sorry guys, I wasn't talking about the legality, only the MOT.

I am confused slightly by this as while I just read that testers are being retrained to cope with the HID changes, all the testers I know who have been on refresher courses since the changes were announced have not been retrained on that basis.

This of course has nothing to do with the fitting of the lights themselves being considered illegal.

whilst we are discussing this, can someone write down exactly why you can't easily get bixenons with LED DRL to work on a pre 2009 car? I've heard from nigel that there's something stopping you from getting all the features working at the same time, but I didn't want to take up too much of his time by asking him to explain it exactly.

Anyone want to right it down for a permanent record?

does anyone know who does the whole lot in one go or am i better sourcing all the parts myself and then getting them fitted?

Yes I offer the services, will PM you.

I've heard from nigel that there's something stopping you from getting all the features working at the same time

Which part did I advise wouldnt work mate, as I dont recall atm telling you this, I may have said you wont get everything working without wiring, certain modules etc installed to make them work & in your case your car would need these changes.

Aha bistooooooooooooooo becomes clear now :)

Pretty sure I misunderstood you as we all know you know your stuff!

Maybe we both misunderstood me lmfao.