ESP light - need hep - haldex

Adamantium

Reaction score
My ESP light is on permanently.

I had the abs pressure sensor fault which I had fixed by Volksmasters in Oldham for £325 but it didn't put the ESP light out. It's now saying there's a haldex controller failure. Does anyone know what part this is or what the part number is so I can track it down from a breaker as I hear it's £800 new.

Volksmasters told me to find someone with a VAS system rather than vcds because it has a test function that performs a diagnostic rather than just list the fault - this is meant to avoid replacing bits that don't need replacing. Anyone heard of this?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I'm not even sure what to look for. It also said something about a clutch leak, but I got the impression this was the haldex clutch and it was the same problem. Am a little disheartened at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

It would also help you could tell me where the haldex controller is located on the car.

There are plenty of sites that shows where it is and how to swap it out, since there is an upgrade haldex controller sold out there. Here is an install instruction.

http://www.neuspeed.com/data/installs/HALDEX.02.pdf

You just have to verify whether you have a Gen II or Gen IV haldex unit, which depends on the year of your car. Of if you want go go under the car, you can check the haldex number:

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/drive/Haldex-Identification.jpg

Also, there should be an excess supply of stock controller around, since anyone who upgraded their haldex controller should have one sitting around.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, that's incredibly helpful.

Is there a way of determining which gen the haldex controller is for if it's already been removed?

Probably only by SN and/or PN. Gen II and Gen IV looks exactly the same.

I tried punching the SN once into the interwebz search and eventually found out somebody selling the part and they said it came off from such a such Haldex AWD.

I don't think you can tell the diff from OEM haldex and the HPC unit, since the mechanical components are manufactured exactly the same, only with different firmware.

My controller is from a Gen II diff.

My only concern now if I need a new one, is buying it from someone who doesn't know what gen there's is from!

I'd like to place an advert to get hold of a Gen II haldex controller but I can't.

Can't place a wanted advert yet for some reason but really need this in place.

Can anyone help me? either with the advert or if they have one!

Found 4, hoping one will come forward with a delivery date for this week then with any luck will have it all error free by friday.

ESP light fixed - £200 for a new Haldex unit plus £20 fitting, £325 for a new ABS pressure sensor, and now without fault code clearing, the lights are all off for the first time since I bought the car!

Very satisfying but dissapointingly expensive.

For a trusted car, I had to do the above, plus a service plus a cambelt change plus replace a rear shock, all to get the car up to scratch. Am a little dissapointed but you live and learn, and it was still £3000+ cheaper than the next nearest quattro sport diesel I could find.

At least everything else I have spent has been on recoverable extra goodies that make the car better than when I bought it.

Going to fire up the RNSE later, then work on cleaning my leather seats. Cruise control and MFSW go in next week!

Where did you get them from matey? I've got a J492 fault code - a dodgy ECU on my haldex too.