New Arrival (incl pics) & some questions

Donny_DJ

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hello,
After a long think I took the plunge decided on this A3 (my 4th Audi!) after deciding my TT is too impractical! I know you lot enjoy a pic or two so here we are:

3337-13092011330.jpg

3351-13092011336.jpg

3326-13092011345.jpg

3335-13092011344.jpg

It has 53k, 3rd owner, £8,800.

I am planning on adding some H&R spacers at the weekend (20 + 30mm per axle) and getting the calipers painted at some point (nothing worse than rusty calipers, really spoils the car!).

The car sits a little high so thinking about some -30mm Eibach lowering springs which I understand will actually lower the car by about 15mm (seeing as it has S-Line springs already – thanks Damian @ DPM). What are ppl’s experience with H&R?
I don’t want to go too low and want to maintain some comfort (ie close to OEM!) because some roads around Surrey & South London are horrendous!

Also planning a remap – anyone recommend any in particular? I had a Revo on my TT and seemed quite good. Heard a Wak is meant to be good?

Cheers!

Last edited:
you have a verry good base to work from just revo and rnse i think

Also planning a remap – anyone recommend any in particular?

Yeap, go see a very good tuner who is in your area, Simon @ AMD Technik Surrey, top guy & credible tuner, does all my tuning & for fair few cars & years now.

you have a verry good base to work from just revo and rnse i think

Cheers Nally, what's 'rnse'?

Yeap, go see a very good tuner who is in your area, Simon @ AMD Technik Surrey, top guy & credible tuner, does all my tuning & for fair few cars & years now.

Thanks NHN, I've emailed him and prices and performance figures seem good. Will try get myself over there when I get paid :)
Congratz on the new car Donny. Looks very smart :thumbsup:
How does it compare to your TT & 8L?

Nice1 Ash. All the Audis drive great as you'd expect, the TT was always a bit of a nightmare to get in/out of without kicking the door/seats etc - ha. Could be cos I'm turning 30 soon .... just wanted something which is a bit more subtle which attracted less attention, practical and still GOES :D. Also being quattro the TT did feel quite a hefty car at times and now driving the A3 made me realise quattro is nice to have but certainly not essential. Hardly any difference in handling apart from a bit of understeer. I'd rather save a bit of dosh on the petrol (2WD being c70kgs lighter than A3 quattro equivalent) and tax/insurance etc and getting off the line quicker. TT was also a nightmare to park at times cos ya can't see where the damned front or back ended! The 8L S3 was great but things like the interior began to feel very dated so chopped it in but missed the 'hot hatch' feel which is why I chose an A3.

Thanks NHN, I've emailed him and prices and performance figures seem good. Will try get myself over there when I get paid :).

No worries, just say Nigel sent you over :)

H&R spacers are on! Sorry the pics aren't great but you get the idea :sm4:.

10mm each side at the front and 15mm each side at the rear. They really give the car a better stance and push the wheels almost flush with the bodywork. An essential mod!

BEFORE:
3393-before-spacers.jpg

3388-before-spacers.jpg

3389-before-spacers.jpg

AFTER:

3397-after-spacers.jpg

3396-after-spacers.jpg

3398-after-spacers.jpg

3394-after-spacers.jpg

3395-afters-spacers.jpg

Nice1 Ash. All the Audis drive great as you'd expect, the TT was always a bit of a nightmare to get in/out of without kicking the door/seats etc - ha. Could be cos I'm turning 30 soon .... just wanted something which is a bit more subtle which attracted less attention, practical and still GOES :D. Also being quattro the TT did feel quite a hefty car at times and now driving the A3 made me realise quattro is nice to have but certainly not essential. Hardly any difference in handling apart from a bit of understeer. I'd rather save a bit of dosh on the petrol (2WD being c70kgs lighter than A3 quattro equivalent) and tax/insurance etc and getting off the line quicker. TT was also a nightmare to park at times cos ya can't see where the damned front or back ended! The 8L S3 was great but things like the interior began to feel very dated so chopped it in but missed the 'hot hatch' feel which is why I chose an A3.

Only just seen this reply fella sorry. Car looks good with the spacers on. Any other plans?
Lol good excuse "could be cos im turning 30 soon". Yeah thats fair enough reason for going to fwd.
Good choice on the replacement and like the pass cars as well :happy:

An update for you.

Well, my engine bay was looking a very sorry state. The engine cover was broken and the oil cap....well....

3473-24092011454.jpg

3474-24092011455.jpg

3475-24092011457.jpg

So I managed to get an S3 engine cover from the Bay and a genuine Audi R8 Oil Cap. Here's the results:

3481-01102011536.jpg

3482-01102011537.jpg

3484-01102011539.jpg

3485-01102011540.jpg

S3 engine cover fitted:

3476-14102011709.jpg

3478-14102011717.jpg

3479-14102011719.jpg

3480-14102011720.jpg

3477-14102011716.jpg

Feedback always welcome :sm4:
Cheers,
Donny

Last edited:
Some final pics before it gets lowered Wed on Eibach Pro springs - will upload some more post fitment :)

3515-22102011770-no-plate.jpg

3516-22102011772-no-plate.jpg

3517-22102011773.jpg

3518-22102011775.jpg

3519-22102011785-no-plate.jpg

3520-22102011788-no-plate.jpg

Reactions: Harrelson
Looking good mate,I lowered mine with the eibachs and I'm well pleased with the results sits perfect for me and hasn't lost any ride comfort at all so good choice there dude

I like that Donny nice that pal

Thanks Nomis!

Looking good mate,I lowered mine with the eibachs and I'm well pleased with the results sits perfect for me and hasn't lost any ride comfort at all so good choice there dude

Nice one Chris - that's exactly what I've read and wanted to hear buddy! Some roads around South London/Surrey are fairly horrendous (speedhumps and potholes everywhere :() so couldn't go too low and wanted to maintain some comfort otherwise I'd get earache from the passenger lol.

nice mate,looks clean

Thanks mate, made sure I did before pics!

Another update -
Now lowered on Eibach Pro springs yest. Still needs to settle a little but I'm impressed it has maintained near-OEM comfort:

3579-26102011819.jpg

3580-26102011820.jpg

3581-26102011825-smaller.jpg

Last edited:
You say the comfort is pretty much the same as OEM, and the height of the pro's is also pretty much s-line height.
Out of interest... why did you go for Eibach Pro springs??

@ N8 - Ha ha, nicely put mate! Maybe I'm weird but I think the standard S-Line set up is fine. I prev had an 8L S3 on -50mm H&R Springs which handled GREAT but killed my spine so anything else now is silky (!). Which leads me nicely onto Ads....

You say the comfort is pretty much the same as OEM, and the height of the pro's is also pretty much s-line height.
Out of interest... why did you go for Eibach Pro springs??

Yeah it's a good question Ads. Some roads around South London/Surrey are horrendous (speed humps, pot holes etc) so rather than go for looks/handling I settled for compromise. The Eibachs have lowered it by about 5-10mm than what it was before so I'm happy with that. Coulda gone for the Sportline kit but prob woulda been a terrible ride :/

@ N8 - Ha ha, nicely put mate! Maybe I'm weird but I think the standard S-Line set up is fine.

I've got to kinda agree with you there. The s-line set up is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Its firm but not the bone shaker that people say it is. I've been in plenty of cars that are A LOT worse. Which leads me nicely on to......

Yeah it's a good question Ads. Some roads around South London/Surrey are horrendous (speed humps, pot holes etc) so rather than go for looks/handling I settled for compromise. The Eibachs have lowered it by about 5-10mm than what it was before so I'm happy with that. Coulda gone for the Sportline kit but prob woulda been a terrible ride :/

I know you've gone Pro springs now but just for future reference...
You would've been fine on Sportlines. I've got them and live in East London so the roads are as bad (if not worse) than yours. Even though 25mm lower than s-line they're fine and still more comfortable than the s-line set up.

Even though 25mm lower than s-line they're fine and still more comfortable than the s-line set up.

Interesting Ads, cheers i'll bear that in mind m8! How can they be more comfortable than standard even though they're lower then?

Interesting Ads, cheers i'll bear that in mind m8! How can they be more comfortable than standard even though they're lower then?

Eibach have a "progressive" design. This means that the spring is wound more loosely at the ends and tighter in the middle. This gives a softer ride over smaller bumps and during normal driving, and a firmer ride over large bumps and reduces body roll during hard braking and fast cornering.

Ads your car's stance is awesome btw, does it still allow for much suspension travel?!

Thanks fella.
Yep, as above, the suspension travel is fine under normal driving, but as soon as the you start driving hard it stiffens up nicely and keeps things nice and level.
I'm still running my 50k miles standard Sport shocks and they are doing fine at the moment, but when the time comes to change them I'm guessing the ride will be even better with uprated shocks.

Hello again,
A quick update on some interior mods I done today.

A billet aluminium genuine Audi S3 Special Edition Gearknob & gaiter and S3 handbrake handle with double white stitching. Really brightens up the inside :). Next up......flat bottom steering wheel.

3585-29102011925.jpg

3586-29102011931.jpg

Couple more pics of the flat bottom - note no redundant flappy paddles or multi function buttons

3603-05112011954.jpg

3610-05112011962.jpg

Loving the car and the subtle but tasteful mods. I have been asking others what difference the spacers make to the steering feel also any tramlining ?

Loving the car and the subtle but tasteful mods. I have been asking others what difference the spacers make to the steering feel also any tramlining ?

Thanks m8! It makes hardly any difference to steering feel or handling - imo they're purely on for looks!!

Do you want functions? Or do you want MY11 airbag cover, really updates it believe me :wub:

Hey N8, not too fussed about functions tbh but i may take you up on the airbag cover at some point :)