Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AidenUK

Thread: 5dr/Sportback Question?

Reverse Gear

Status

5dr/Sportback Question?

Morning all,

Been on this forum a long time back and looking at coming back fairly soon but i have a question is there an A3 5dr and a Sportback or is the Sportback an A3 5dr??

If there is both how do you tell which is which? I have looked at a couple of ads n the net and some specifically say Sportback where as others are just '5dr' but look very similar. I think i am after a Sportback really as i have a 1yr old daughter so need as much room as i can get ideally.

Any replies would be most welcome.

Cheers

Si

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Sportback=5 door=Win

6th Gear

Status
    What he said ^
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

1st Gear

Status
    i think Audi just wanted to make the '5 door A3' sound a bit more sexy so decided to call it an 'A3 sportback'.

I mean technically isn't the 3 door sportier than the sportback - as having fewer doors should make the body more rigid?

2nd Gear

Status
    Children = Sportback
    Singles/Couples = 3dr

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs2472 View Post
    Children = Sportback
    Singles/Couples = 3dr
    Disagree, i bought a SB and i don't have kids, just prefer the ease of letting people in and out of it. My previous A3 was a ball ache as it was a 3 door.
    Rubber Duck likes this.

On a journey...

Status
    I have a 20 month old girl and have had two Sportbacks (5-door) - an A3 2.0T quattro and more recently an S3.

It really depends on your views about car size, but from my experience the Sportback is roomier and more practical than most other "small family" sized cars and it's been just the ticket for our family needs. Both my cars have had roofbars and I think these are well worth having if you can find a car with them, as they offer an easier option to put bikes, roof boxes etc on the roof.

With one child, we've not yet needed any more space (or even a roof box) when going for weeks away and long road trips. The crucial thing for us is that the A3 / S3 Sportback is fundamentally an easy car to park and drive anywhere, without worrying about parking spaces and the like. We've got friends and family who have wanted something bigger like a Volvo V70, A4 / A6 or "soft roader" 4x4, then had to incur the penalties when it comes to running costs, specification and parking.

If you think about it, even with a child you mainly clock-up the miles driving on your own (to work, shopping etc), so it makes sense to drive around without a load of empty space in your car!

Finally, for me, it means that I can afford to run something a little more exotic by "downsizing" to an S3 - compared to, say, an A4 Avant for the same sort of price. I'd always take a mini exotic over an out-sized middle spec car!
    Last edited by Ben H; 16th September 2011 at 11:56.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

James

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AidenUK View Post
    Disagree, i bought a SB and i don't have kids, just prefer the ease of letting people in and out of it. My previous A3 was a ball ache as it was a 3 door.
    Same. I had a 3dr Clio previously and was sick of people standing on my sills when climbing in/out of the back!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Same. I had a 3dr Clio previously and was sick of people standing on my sills when climbing in/out of the back!!
    And slamming the seat backwards and forwards and sticking there shoes in the back of the front seats, standing on the seats as they get in.. Don't miss none of that!

I think SB looks pretty sporty anyway, S-line spec with chrome roof rails, a mint set of S-line alloy wheels and bobs yer uncle!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by plezz View Post
    i think Audi just wanted to make the '5 door A3' sound a bit more sexy so decided to call it an 'A3 sportback'.

I mean technically isn't the 3 door sportier than the sportback - as having fewer doors should make the body more rigid?
    Ask Audi this question ? The RS3 is a sportback .for me that disproves your arguement

6th Gear

Status
    They all look great .sports cars belong on the track .3 and 5 doors are the same you choose what you like .

1st Gear

Status
    True Lingy, but i thought sportbacks were outselling 3 doors? maybe thats why they choose one for the RS3 - to give greater mass appeal.

either way both look good - as picky as it is, its the rear lights in the sportback that sway it for me.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    More doors, More Whores

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Never really understood the name Sportback, is it supposed to denote the back end is sporty, seriously, has audi seen the back of the A3 5dr, its not exactly very sporty, although I do like the car, hence we own one, but naming it this is a contradiction imho, also the A5 or A7 SB, wouldnt call the back end sporty at all, but alas they still sell anyway, if you called them SportArse they would still sell lol.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    SportArse lol

MPG the new BPH

Status
    must admit the rear of the sport back is far nicer than the 3dr imo

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

6th Gear

Status
    +1

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    What can I say, I'm an "Ass" man, women's that is

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge