5dr/Sportback Question?

Ralph

Reaction score
Morning all,

Been on this forum a long time back and looking at coming back fairly soon but i have a question is there an A3 5dr and a Sportback or is the Sportback an A3 5dr??

If there is both how do you tell which is which? I have looked at a couple of ads n the net and some specifically say Sportback where as others are just '5dr' but look very similar. I think i am after a Sportback really as i have a 1yr old daughter so need as much room as i can get ideally.

Any replies would be most welcome.

Cheers

Si

i think Audi just wanted to make the '5 door A3' sound a bit more sexy so decided to call it an 'A3 sportback'.

I mean technically isn't the 3 door sportier than the sportback - as having fewer doors should make the body more rigid?

Children = Sportback
Singles/Couples = 3dr

Children = Sportback
Singles/Couples = 3dr

Disagree, i bought a SB and i don't have kids, just prefer the ease of letting people in and out of it. My previous A3 was a ball ache as it was a 3 door.

Reactions: Rubber Duck
I have a 20 month old girl and have had two Sportbacks (5-door) - an A3 2.0T quattro and more recently an S3.

It really depends on your views about car size, but from my experience the Sportback is roomier and more practical than most other "small family" sized cars and it's been just the ticket for our family needs. Both my cars have had roofbars and I think these are well worth having if you can find a car with them, as they offer an easier option to put bikes, roof boxes etc on the roof.

With one child, we've not yet needed any more space (or even a roof box) when going for weeks away and long road trips. The crucial thing for us is that the A3 / S3 Sportback is fundamentally an easy car to park and drive anywhere, without worrying about parking spaces and the like. We've got friends and family who have wanted something bigger like a Volvo V70, A4 / A6 or "soft roader" 4x4, then had to incur the penalties when it comes to running costs, specification and parking.

If you think about it, even with a child you mainly clock-up the miles driving on your own (to work, shopping etc), so it makes sense to drive around without a load of empty space in your car!

Finally, for me, it means that I can afford to run something a little more exotic by "downsizing" to an S3 - compared to, say, an A4 Avant for the same sort of price. I'd always take a mini exotic over an out-sized middle spec car!

Last edited:
Disagree, i bought a SB and i don't have kids, just prefer the ease of letting people in and out of it. My previous A3 was a ball ache as it was a 3 door.

Same. I had a 3dr Clio previously and was sick of people standing on my sills when climbing in/out of the back!!

Same. I had a 3dr Clio previously and was sick of people standing on my sills when climbing in/out of the back!!

And slamming the seat backwards and forwards and sticking there shoes in the back of the front seats, standing on the seats as they get in.. Don't miss none of that!

I think SB looks pretty sporty anyway, S-line spec with chrome roof rails, a mint set of S-line alloy wheels and bobs yer uncle!

i think Audi just wanted to make the '5 door A3' sound a bit more sexy so decided to call it an 'A3 sportback'.

I mean technically isn't the 3 door sportier than the sportback - as having fewer doors should make the body more rigid?

Ask Audi this question ? The RS3 is a sportback .for me that disproves your arguement ;)

They all look great .sports cars belong on the track .3 and 5 doors are the same you choose what you like .

True Lingy, but i thought sportbacks were outselling 3 doors? maybe thats why they choose one for the RS3 - to give greater mass appeal.

either way both look good - as picky as it is, its the rear lights in the sportback that sway it for me.

Never really understood the name Sportback, is it supposed to denote the back end is sporty, seriously, has audi seen the back of the A3 5dr, its not exactly very sporty, although I do like the car, hence we own one, but naming it this is a contradiction imho, also the A5 or A7 SB, wouldnt call the back end sporty at all, but alas they still sell anyway, if you called them SportArse they would still sell lol.

must admit the rear of the sport back is far nicer than the 3dr imo