Quattro + snow =

loftusrich

Reaction score
Is it any good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gifIs a permanent 4wd better or does it really depend on the tyres used and their width?

Rich

Awesome.. although in the 3.2 you can feel the movement and its not hard to preform the amazing DRIFT!!

but can remember in my old golf that weather like this was a nightmare ....

Quattro is good but don`t be tottaly fooled- ive seen pics of cars whose owners believed all the quattro marketing blurb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quattro will allow more but be sensible.

Quattro/4Motion is ok but only if you remeber you only have traction whilst you apply power...

When I first picked up my R32 I was used to driving FWD hot hatches and a 330 coupe. Bit of a shoker when I first got the R come to a bend a bit too quick and lifted of - result one car sliding around all over the place....

J.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, J, kinda hard to get used to accelerating to get yourself out of trouble. Are you enjoying lift-off oversteer now you've had the car a while?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes! When I first collected the car I couldn;t really under stand all the fuss regarding 4 wheel drive but once you get used to it it is pretty cool! although my A3 is FWD...

On my way back from my wifes parents house you come down a slip road and turn left to join the start of a motorway. Belt down slip road, turn left and get a bit of understeer going, lift off into over steer and hit the power again - result is a lovely drift and a nagging wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

Obv. when I say slip road and motorway I mean private piece of land officer...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif much more fun spinning the wheels in my opinion, loads a smoke, and a screaching start!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
yup... like the scooby drivers who blast down the outside lane of the motorway (which as we all know is reserved for us BMW drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) only to discover that four wheel drive doesn't stop you any quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Be interested to hear what you think of your sportback's handling when you get it.

Yeah i had my A4 out in the snow last month and it is quite strange (as said above) about using the power to get out of trouble seems totally illogical but thats cos the only other car i have had is a FWD.

But i have learnt now after clipping a curb in the snow and scraping my alloy. Gutted especially cos my mate gave me a right ripping at the time. Felt such a prat and afterwards thought to myself i should have given it a bit of right peg but you don't always think of this at the time you just want to stop.

Just need to keep the throttle balanced. Not too much but not too little.

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting statistic related to this, apparently Volvos are more likely to be involved in fatal accidents as Volvo owners think that they have bought tanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought they are tanks. They sure look like ones.

- Yak

Right there with you Jungle.

And to all thos out there who have a Q or are considering one and haven't got it on a slippery surface, do yourself right: find a deserted snowy road or parking lot and get the hang of that Quattro. The day you'll actually really need it, you'll have the right reflexes. (hope this doesn't come off too pedantic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

I just took one of the directors jaguar x-type 3.0 V6's out for a drive.
It has 4wd.
Without even trying that hard I got a lovely back end drift out of a junction.
I miss oversteer.
Not enough to consider a BMW though.

[ QUOTE ]
I miss oversteer.
Not enough to consider a BMW though.

[/ QUOTE ]

speaking of that... i finally got around to reading the manual on the beemer - i can disable ASC, but this means that EBD comes in - meaning no fun. However, if I hold the ASC button in for 3 secs, it disables everything..... oh boy have I been having some fun!!!!

I miss oversteer too.... it's been too long, but you never forget how to do it though!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I find the traction control in my A4 really intrusive.
Slightest bleedin wheelspin/understeer has it cutting in and jerking control from you.
I'd switch it off more often if I could stop my eyes being drawn to the orange light warning light on the dash.

I used to have a Mk2 RS200 with a quickrack.
Man,that thing spent more time sideways than straight.

The good old days,before litigation and pedantic electronics.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

That should read RS2000 of course...
It was only an RS200 when it misfired.

[ QUOTE ]
That should read RS2000 of course...
It was only an RS200 when it misfired.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif