Bye

Nuffsed

Reaction score
Well after 18 months with the S3 it finally went today.

To be honest living with it never really lived up to the dream. It's a car I've had on my wish list for a few years and on paper ticked all the right boxes so when circumstances allowed me to get a new one last year I jumped at the chance and drove away a 10 MY Black Edition.

It's not that there's ever really been anything wrong with it and I did have great fun in it; the acceleration always made me giggle, the 4WD makes it as sure footed as almost anything out there and a great cross country weapon and the Audi quality shone through. But I got bored with it very quickly. I don't know why, maybe it's just too good, too German, too efficient at what it does. Some early troubles with the dealer which some of you may recall (they left the packing blocks in for 9 months!) probably tainted the ownership a bit. Anyway we had some good times and, as I told her, 'we can still be friends':friends:

I have some bits for sale too so if anyone wants a set of interior lights (front & rear) from the Light Pack for a light grey interior (the ones with the Map Reading lights) drop me a PM before they head off to the 'bay. I've also got a genuine iPod lead that I never got round to installing.

Not sure what to get next but I'm going to have a break and enjoy myself (and my LR Discovery) for the winter then have a sniff around in the Spring at the 2 seater market. Maybe a 2nd hand Boxter? What do you think?

Can't argue with a Boxster, but go for an 'S'. Personally preferred the Cayman, but both great.

Can see where you're coming from with the S3, if you've owned anything tasty before it can be a bit 'bland', but a bit of work will keep the smile on your face for a bit longer.

I think the standard S3 does have that mundane numb feeling that you probably got. Did you not tune it at all?

No I kept it standard. 260+ bhp in a small hatch should have been enough really and TBH it wasn't the lack of power that was the issue, or lack of grip, or brakes or anything else I could put my finger on. I never thought 'I wish it had more ...', but maybe it's just 'character' or 'emotion' it lacks. Don't know, could never put my finger on it.

go for an exige or elise. i had an elise for 3 years and really enjoyed it :wub:

ditch the boxster get an s2000 :) they are fun!

+1

ive got an s2000(aswell as the A3) had it for 4 years now,very under rated motor ive burned off a few boxters in it, keep it in vtec and rev the nuts off it and they are very quick

No I kept it standard. 260+ bhp in a small hatch should have been enough really and TBH it wasn't the lack of power that was the issue, or lack of grip, or brakes or anything else I could put my finger on. I never thought 'I wish it had more ...', but maybe it's just 'character' or 'emotion' it lacks. Don't know, could never put my finger on it.

Its not that small and weighs a ton (or two) it needs stg 1 to make the package work. I dont want to pee on your fireworks but so many people have done the VXR/Boxter/S2000/Focus/Evo/Scoobie route and finally settled here because the car you really want is £60k+ and probably temperamental , hugely expensive to own and a bit too ostentatious for todays climate. Yes i looked at the AM V8 but reality hits home and it is "just a car".... The S3 is a compromise but its the best compromise IMHO>l

Reactions: Kelza
I agree with paddy its all compromise, i was lucky enough to own an R8 for 7 months but in all that time i only put 1400 miles on it. As i was scared to leave it anywhere, it was too wide for car park bays, drank petrol but great fun. Where as the S3 was dull and seem slow when i got it but now its at stage 2+ with all the power you need, i can use it everyday and now once its tuned i even get better MPG

I think the boxster will be more of a let down. We had a boxster spyder as a company pool car and I found it dull. Don't get me wrong, it could shift when you really wanted it to but you had to wring it's neck. It was very civilized in normal traffic but not what you would expect of a 50k+ car. I would imagine lesser models will be even less special to drive. Thankfully the boss felt the same so has just replaced it with a v10 R8

if the op seeks pleasure in driving and wants a change then the s2000 or elise are great options. Btw who had the elise i love the 2zzge motor. The s3 is a juiced up 4 pot with a turbo... An s2000 is an NA machine you enjoy the response the engine note etc. Different car yes an s3 makes so much sense as its fast with a stage one etc but it hasnt got the soundtrack or the different thrill factor. Im not slating it at all i can see however why the op wants a change. I prefer NA cars myself sometimes its just great to run through some country lanes barking through bends at 8500rpm!

Last edited:
Don't get a boxster.. Unless you're trying to make the other hairdressers jealous... It's 100% a poor man's 911.. At least the s2000 has a bit of cred!
Or you could just get a three-in-one haircut and get a Porsche Gayman.
Gotta say though, bit of a strange thing to do - coming on the 8p forum to ask for opinions on a Porsche :think:

If you're looking for a 2 seater with character, and NA power, ( and you're not a badge snob ! ) then you could consider the 350Z/370Z ( depending on budget ).

I had a 350Z for 4 years and absolutely loved it ( except in winter, when it was useless if any snow on the ground ).

Needing more than 2 seats, plus quattro, were the only thing that moved me to the A3

I think it is the German car clinical feel, they take a quick car and mask it in safety systems designed to make sure if you make a mistake the car corrects it for you which is great for daily and those who are abit more cautious but sometimes you do long for the feedback of a drivers car, that if the *** comes out your the only safety feature controlling it rush. If you have the landrover for winter and can have a fun summer car then I would opt for an Elise personally or if funds allow and Exige.

No I'm not a badge snob so the Nissan and Honda ideas are all good ones. Also, bizarrely, quite taken with MX5's as fun cars. I also didn't mean to upset anyone by knocking the S3. I'm not, it's just not the car for me but I'm sure I'll be missing the quattro when the snow arrives or when the wet leaves are about. I'm certainly not stuck on a Boxter. A friend has got one and drove my S3 when I got it and said the S3 was much quicker off the line than his. Also asking opinions on here as I know some of you are 2+ car nuts so interested what else everyone has driven and how they compare.

I actually went the same way...
I have the A3 3.2, DSG – very good car. Fast enough and feels very safe on the road.
The DSG gearbox is a dream! But... let’s be honest, it is boring.
Now, I had 350z in the past – very sporty feel, but felt too heavy and fat. (And the lack of ESP in the jap import I had scared the s&^% out of me sometimes LOL).
Here is what I have done:
I kept the A3 and got Cayman. To compare the 2 car is... impossible. Yes the A3 is quick, as is the S3 – but they are just fast hatchbacks, so called sporty cars. The Cayman is not fast for a P-car, not at all but go on the first roundabout or a twisty road, you will feel what a mid engine - rear drive is about LOL
You may even go slower but with real fun. As being a poor man Porsche... well just try to drive a 911 and Cayman S – and see which one is nicer to drive (I did). You will be surprised ;)
I will not sell the A3... it is perfect for winter.

If you have the landrover for winter and can have a fun summer car then I would opt for an Elise personally or if funds allow and Exige.

as above, go for an exige for the summer. you won't be disappointed!!! loved my elise :wub:

350Z all the way. Dont do the Boxter - too girly :)

Had a Zed for over 3 years and loved every second of it. Im still missing it badly. Build like a sh*t brickhouse and never let me down.

A lot of car for the money and some great deals to be had now.