MFSW fitting to 2007 A3 2ltr Tdi Dsg sportback s-line

leecool

Reaction score
Hi lads n ladies, I'm a newbie & have just bought my 1st Audi.
I have a 56 plate 2007 2ltr tdi audi a3 sportback s-line, it has the Dsg paddles but no Multi functions on the sw. I really need a MFSW fitted as I can only use 1 of my arms after an accident. I think my A3 is the 8po model. I've heard so much chatter about this, that my head is spinning. Is it easyish or possible to fit the MFSW to my car? I have the symphony 6cd HU & the s-line SW with the DSG paddles. Can anyone clear something else up also, will I need a new airbag or airbag control wire?
Audi quoted my approx £1300-£1400 if it could be done at all. F**k that!
I will be very grateful for any information about this as I'm gona kill myself turning up the juice lol.
Thanks in advance.

Firstly you need to make sure the MFSW you buy has the same fitting for the airbag you currently have. (Unless you're looking to buy a matching airbag and wheel together).

Although a few on here have fitted these themselves, I had mine fitted for me as I believe some coding is required via VCDS (cable and software for configuring VAG group vehicles).

I'm sure there will be a forum member near you willing to fit and code for a fee.

Not sure how far he is from you but NHN (Nigel) performs this service.

If you're wanting to do this yourself, hit the search button and get reading! lol

One last thing, MikeFoster on here is quite knowledgeable regarding DIY retrofitting MFSW

Hope this helps

Oh, and :sign_welcome:

Cheers for the info & welcome wez3750, looking forward to chatting. It really is a friendly neibourhood here! Glad to have joined.

Hi fella and welcome to the forum mate. The best thing about your car being a DSG is that you will not require a new steering ECU, thus making your current one already in place to support MFSW as it already supports DSG. As wez said, make sure you get the wheel with the right fitmemt, so you can use your excisting airbag.
Apart from that, it will be a straight swap. You can pick up a MFSW with DSG paddles from the bay for around £150 as my mate did, but remember, it will need coding with VCDS.
If you are not confident of doing yourself, Nige (NHN) can supply and fit. Alternatively, Mike Foster is second to none in helping with part numbers.
If you decide to go down the DIY route, then I'm sure there would be fellow members on here to help with fitting and coding for a few beer tokens.

Cheers

Hi mate where abouts are you as I can also help you out if your down south?
Fitting and coding the mfsw is really easy and the job in a whole should take about 15minutes.

Cheers for the info & welcome wez3750, looking forward to chatting. It really is a friendly neibourhood here! Glad to have joined.

Welcome Lee - I will help if I can but at the moment the all-important electronic parts catalogue (ETKA) that I used to have no longer works and I can't get the latest version to install !!

Never mind, as has been said, make sure you get the right wheel to fit your existing airbag. There are people advertising on ebay saying the wheels they are selling will fit A3,A4, A5 etc.etc. and whilst they will physically fit the steering column your airbag will not necessarily fit the wheel. If you can, get one that has been removed from an A3 !

Good luck with the search and I'm sure there are loads of us on here near you in Wales who will help. I'm up in Yorkshire so not much use really !! Cheers

Hi fella and welcome to the forum mate. The best thing about your car being a DSG is that you will not require a new steering ECU, thus making your current one already in place to support MFSW as it already supports DSG. As wez said, make sure you get the wheel with the right fitmemt, so you can use your excisting airbag.
Apart from that, it will be a straight swap. You can pick up a MFSW with DSG paddles from the bay for around £150 as my mate did, but remember, it will need coding with VCDS.
If you are not confident of doing yourself, Nige (NHN) can supply and fit. Alternatively, Mike Foster is second to none in helping with part numbers.
If you decide to go down the DIY route, then I'm sure there would be fellow members on here to help with fitting and coding for a few beer tokens.

Cheers

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? I'm not doubting you Danny, it's just I've always assumed this (wishful thinking on my part as I have DSG and cruise but no MFSW) but have never actually read that it's the case until now.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? I'm not doubting you Danny, it's just I've always assumed this (wishful thinking on my part as I have DSG and cruise but no MFSW) but have never actually read that it's the case until now.

Hi mate, am sure this is correct, as to support DSG it needs a highline ECU which also supports cruise AND MFSW. Found this out with a friends car who I installed cruise for.
Also as the MFSW/DSG have an added adapter which run through the same connection to the wheel to make use of the functions, then your airbag will already have the correct double harness.

But as all said, the most important thing is the correct steering wheel, and as Mike said, one from another A3 to insure you have the right fitmemt to use your excisting airbag.

Hi mate, am sure this is correct, as to support DSG it needs a highline ECU which also supports cruise AND MFSW. Found this out with a friends car who I installed cruise for.
Also as the MFSW/DSG have an added adapter which run through the same connection to the wheel to make use of the functions, then your airbag will already have the correct double harness.

But as all said, the most important thing is the correct steering wheel, and as Mike said, one from another A3 to insure you have the right fitmemt to use your excisting airbag.

Danny - you are correct !!:yes:

This belongs to a member from here and was on an A3

£120 bargain!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-wanted-audi-parts/127310-sale-mfsw-paddles.html

If you're interested, I would ask for a picture of the back, make sure it's the same as yours as there are 2 types and this is the easiest way to find out if it's the same fitment as yours.

Worked for me anyway!

That is the alternative airbag fitment and certainly wouldn't fit my 2006 sportback. There are two clues - one is the angle of the airbag fixing screws, this one is a steep angle and the other one is flatter. The second clue is the multi function cable plug on this one is at 5 o'clock wheras the other airbag fitment is at 2 o'clock.

If you check the ebay link in my post #10 and compare it with this one you will spot the difference !

Personally I don't think this one will be suitable for your airbag, especially if it came off a Q7 (orQ5)

Last edited:
Edited because Mike answered my question in his post above.

When you say get a picture of the back what are you looking for? Does this mean you can check which wheel you need without removing your wheel or using VCDS?

The guy selling the one on here does say it was fitted to an A3, I take it his was a later model A3.

Last edited:
Cheers Mike, was starting to doubt myself for a minute. I have got ETKA 7.3 so if you need any help with part numbers until you sort yours out, then give us a shout mate.

Reactions: leecool
Edited because Mike answered my question in his post above.

When you say get a picture of the back what are you looking for? Does this mean you can check which wheel you need without removing your wheel or using VCDS?

The guy selling the one on here does say it was fitted to an A3, I take it his was a later model A3.

Maybe he bought the airbag as well ?

As far as I know there are no external signs to show which of the two types it is. You may be able to tell if you remove the airbag fixing screw covers and spot the angle but unless you have done the conversion at least once it may be difficult to work out.

Thanks for the offer with ETKA Danny.

I would ask Ju3.2 about the airbag. I'm assuming the one he's selling was replaced with his original before selling the car. Meaning he kept his original airbag.

Looking on the back of the wheel helped me as you can check (as mike said) the angle of the screws that secure the airbag to the wheel.

Cheers Dannykn9, this has really boosted me into purchasing a MFSW. Am excited too! Only had the car 2 weeks & I'm absolutely bouncing! I have always been a biker (not with the mullet hairdo & all the leather & denim) but I took a fall off my rediculously fast bike & ended up loosing the use of my left arm. I was not & am not a loony speedster (crashed doing 45) but it's nice to have that shove in your back when you trhottle up or get stuck behind that Trilby wearing pensioner doing 20mph everywhere! I've really missed that.
Anyway thanks for the warm welcome & info I appreciate it.

Cheers Dannykn9, this has really boosted me into purchasing a MFSW. Am excited too! Only had the car 2 weeks & I'm absolutely bouncing! I have always been a biker (not with the mullet hairdo & all the leather & denim) but I took a fall off my rediculously fast bike & ended up loosing the use of my left arm. I was not & am not a loony speedster (crashed doing 45) but it's nice to have that shove in your back when you trhottle up or get stuck behind that Trilby wearing pensioner doing 20mph everywhere! I've really missed that.
Anyway thanks for the warm welcome & info I appreciate it.

No problem mate, anytime, that is what this forum is all about, to help one another.

Cheers

Hi there, thanks for the post. I live in bright & sunny Port Talbot, whereabouts you at? Be awesome to have any help with this, just need to know what wheel to get. I think I have the 8po type after reading sooo many posts. Audi didnt have a clue! They said they dont know if it can be done or not. Cos I didn't buy from them probably! If your local, perhaps you could help me choose the wheel & fit it if you know how for£??
Cheers!!!

Just read your post again & checked out your motor. How the hell you get the fbmfsw on your motor? must look awesum tho!!

Would love to have helped mate, but I am all the way down in London, tad too far o think, lol. Your current wheel is defo an 8P part, as 8P represents the A3. I'll keep a look out for the wheel you need. In the meantime if you find one, get the whole part number. 8E part numbers represent the A4 B6/B7 models.
This is where it all gets confusing on eBay when they say it fits A3/4/5 etc etc. Although true, it comes down to airbag fitmemt. So as said before, try and make sure the wheel part number starts with 8P and if used, make sure it has come of an A3 and not A4 or others.

Hi there, thanks for the post. I live in bright & sunny Port Talbot, whereabouts you at? Be awesome to have any help with this, just need to know what wheel to get. I think I have the 8po type after reading sooo many posts. Audi didnt have a clue! They said they dont know if it can be done or not. Cos I didn't buy from them probably! If your local, perhaps you could help me choose the wheel & fit it if you know how for£??
Cheers!!!

I'm up the A465 in Merthyr mate. Not up to speed on the exact wheel you need but I can certainly help you fit it and get it coded up :)

If you can remove one of the screw covers ( the screws for securing the airbag to the wheel) on the back of the wheel, you will be able to see the angle of the screw by looking at the screw head.

This should help you find out which type wheel you need. It's what I did, worked for me.

Other way would be to disconnect the battery, remove the air bag and take a pic of your wheel and match the replacement that way.

These are just suggestions from my own experience.

Know it well! I'l try my best to source a mfsw, if I manage to get 1 I'l give you a shout.
cheers
Btw, Swansea or Cardiff?

Hi Mike, its Lee from down south again. Hope you dont mind me asking you a question? Iv heard that your the guy with part numbers! I've seen a wheel on ebay, part number 8P0 419 091 DTWUL . Could this be the 1??
Cheers in advance!
Lee:think:

Just to add to the thread
The one I sold I had fitted to an A3 05 plate, but here's the confusion, I've had 2 A3 3.2q sportbacks both on 05 plate's and both have had different fitments from the factory!
Just undo the two screws from behind the steering wheel and pull the airbag forward, no need to disconnect the battery or unplug the airbag. You can unplug it if need be, just don't turn the ignition back on if you do as you will get errors.
There are only 2 types of fitment for that wheel type so just get the right one