2.0 TDI OVERFILLED OIL!

Sheikh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Basically in light of my recent limp mode experiences I decided to have a look round the car to look for any boost leaks... only to my horror to find the oil being way past the max mark on the dipstick. So i'm assuming its been like this since it's last service which was 7000 miles ago (Only bought the car 2000 miles ago). So my question is could this be the reason my car's been throwing an overboost code? And what possible damage could this have done?

Regards

Zo

do not drive DRAIN OIL to correct level straight away.

Did you take the oil level when the engine was hot?

Also when you say it was way past the mark how much over was it?

Might sound like a stupid question but do you check the oil when cold? or after its been started and sat for a while?

best time to check oil level is when cars been sat overnight on a level surface......!!! or after its been driven,after about an hour....again make sure cars on level ground.
Might sound like a stupid question but do you check the oil when cold? or after its been started and sat for a while?

Zo, be careful to correctly interpret the actual level of oil. The 2.0L TDI dipstick is a disaster design, and gets smeared with oil every time you pull it out. You need to try several times, cleaning the dipstick end each time, until you get a good reading. I accidentally overfilled once, and then had to poke a thin plastic tube down the dipstick hole, and suck out the oil. Well that is better than having to take off the undertray and then having oil all up my arm. Good luck.