Sat Nav Review

kritter86

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member to audi-sport.net and this website has answered most questions I would ever have.

I have just ordered a new A3 sportback 2.0 140 S-Line diesel which I'm extremely happy about. It is a company car so I don't get much choice when it comes to extra's etc. That said I have got the Sat Nav as an optional extra and I would like to know if anyone could let me know if it is any good? I have normally been under the impression that OEM Sat Nav systems aren't as good as for example a Tom Tom?

Many thanks in advance,

Kritter86

It's not touch screen from factory. And there is software with added poi but it's not manufactured by Audi it's like an extra that's been created by a 3rd party

I would hate it if it was touchscreen. I like my screen to be clean. Not finger prints all over it. Other than an iPhone I don't like to touch any LCD unless it's played with iPhone style glass

It's not a touch screen but there is an option to upload poi to it.

Personally, as a company car, I wouldn't tick that option box. Given that you'll be giving it back and will have to pay towards the extras list, I wouldn't be so keen to invest in something that's effectively a rental.

Coupled with the fact that they are quite a theft risk.

Welcome and good choice of car.

I added the tech pack as an option to my company car and personally I prefer the built in sat nav to a tom tom (or similar) as you dont have to mount it on the screen and keep taking it out all the time.
I know when the car goes back you will need to re-input all stored addresses etc. in the next one but it doesnt really bother me tbh (I would assume some day soon you will be able to save to SD anyway and put it in the next car).

That said the useability of the Audi Sat nav is not quite as good or as easy as something like a tom tom but once you have played around with it for a bit you get used to the way it works and it is fine.
I had sat nav as an option in my previous car as well (VX Astra) and that was pretty good, there were a couple of things I missed at the time that the Audi didn't have but that has been long forgotten and overall the Audi one is far better.

I am sure I will be adding it again in my next car as well...

Tomtom Rocks! Audi's RNS-E sucks! no touch, no custom poi's, no traffic updates, no use of CDs or DVDs, EVERYTHING is an extra! (bluetooth, ipod, video in motion, TV, voice control, rear view camera... etc)
its even better if you have a tomtom on your iphone as then its not a hassle of taking it out all the time as its also your phone so you will take it with you anyway!

I have just purchased an RNSE of Paulie off here, I want one mainly as it finishes the interior off :) the sat nav is just a bonus.....

Reactions: Kelza
If your company are paying then go for the sat nav. Comes with things like SD card readers etc.

It does come with pre-loaded POIs but as others have mentioned you can't add custom ones unless you have some software to add them on to the disk.

I would choose RNS-e purely as I don't want something stuck on the windscreen or dash

Thanks for you everyone's help. I have gone for the Sat Nav as an extra. I hate having marks on the inside of my w/s. I travel a lot with work so as long as it isn't totally awful I should be fine.

Unfortunatly I don't really get much choice when it comes to extras. I would have prefered xeon lights or some bose speakers. Still it's free motor so beggers can't be choosers!

what are those £300 after market fake rnse ones like?

Yeah honestly, take it from someone whos experienced there tackiness, dont go down the Dynavin route, its cheaper but you can see just how cheap and crap they are. I bought one, you need an adapter which they dont tell you about just to get the back speakers to work. Theres a constant buzz from the front speakers, but dont wory, they can supply a resistor which you can change yoursefl to stop this, which at the same time voids your warranty.
Oh and then to remove the unit to send back I had to dismantle the car because the cheap retaining clips snap off when you put the unit in for the first time... had to smash the screen in and crush the unit in on itself to remove....not worth the hastle at all!
SDC12279.jpg

SDC12285.jpg

SDC12302.jpg

=CRAP