Volks AutosBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rhymesaka

Thread: Sat Nav Review

Reverse Gear

Status

Sat Nav Review

Hi,

I am a new member to audi-sport.net and this website has answered most questions I would ever have.

I have just ordered a new A3 sportback 2.0 140 S-Line diesel which I'm extremely happy about. It is a company car so I don't get much choice when it comes to extra's etc. That said I have got the Sat Nav as an optional extra and I would like to know if anyone could let me know if it is any good? I have normally been under the impression that OEM Sat Nav systems aren't as good as for example a Tom Tom?

Many thanks in advance,

Kritter86

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Sat nav is quite good in my opinion. But does not have poi built in
    Audi S3 8P2 Silver
    BI-Xenons - FBMFSW - Rain/Light Pack - Auto dim package - iPod Integration - 2011 Nav - Electric Folding Mirrors - Rear Park Sensors - Full Heated Leather - BOSE - Privacy Windows - 2011 Console Conversion - My11 Rear Lights - RevD Diverter - Forge DMV14T BOV - ITG Maxogen CAI - BBS CH 18s

Reverse Gear

Status
    do you know if it is touch screen? can you upload poi in to it?

4th Gear

Status
    It's not touch screen from factory. And there is software with added poi but it's not manufactured by Audi it's like an extra that's been created by a 3rd party
    Audi S3 8P2 Silver
    BI-Xenons - FBMFSW - Rain/Light Pack - Auto dim package - iPod Integration - 2011 Nav - Electric Folding Mirrors - Rear Park Sensors - Full Heated Leather - BOSE - Privacy Windows - 2011 Console Conversion - My11 Rear Lights - RevD Diverter - Forge DMV14T BOV - ITG Maxogen CAI - BBS CH 18s

4th Gear

Status
    I would hate it if it was touchscreen. I like my screen to be clean. Not finger prints all over it. Other than an iPhone I don't like to touch any LCD unless it's played with iPhone style glass
    Audi S3 8P2 Silver

1st Gear

Status
    It's not a touch screen but there is an option to upload poi to it.

Personally, as a company car, I wouldn't tick that option box. Given that you'll be giving it back and will have to pay towards the extras list, I wouldn't be so keen to invest in something that's effectively a rental.

Coupled with the fact that they are quite a theft risk.

Reverse Gear

Status
    hi,
    have you had a look at this: Dynavin DVN-A3 for Audi A3 im planning on installing one too.

Nick

Status
    Welcome and good choice of car.

I added the tech pack as an option to my company car and personally I prefer the built in sat nav to a tom tom (or similar) as you dont have to mount it on the screen and keep taking it out all the time.
    I know when the car goes back you will need to re-input all stored addresses etc. in the next one but it doesnt really bother me tbh (I would assume some day soon you will be able to save to SD anyway and put it in the next car).

That said the useability of the Audi Sat nav is not quite as good or as easy as something like a tom tom but once you have played around with it for a bit you get used to the way it works and it is fine.
    I had sat nav as an option in my previous car as well (VX Astra) and that was pretty good, there were a couple of things I missed at the time that the Audi didn't have but that has been long forgotten and overall the Audi one is far better.

I am sure I will be adding it again in my next car as well...
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Tomtom Rocks! Audi's RNS-E sucks! no touch, no custom poi's, no traffic updates, no use of CDs or DVDs, EVERYTHING is an extra! (bluetooth, ipod, video in motion, TV, voice control, rear view camera... etc)
    its even better if you have a tomtom on your iphone as then its not a hassle of taking it out all the time as its also your phone so you will take it with you anyway!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

1st Gear

Status
    I have just purchased an RNSE of Paulie off here, I want one mainly as it finishes the interior off the sat nav is just a bonus.....
    Kelza likes this.
    Ibis - BE 170 S-Tronic

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    If your company are paying then go for the sat nav. Comes with things like SD card readers etc.

It does come with pre-loaded POIs but as others have mentioned you can't add custom ones unless you have some software to add them on to the disk.

I would choose RNS-e purely as I don't want something stuck on the windscreen or dash

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for you everyone's help. I have gone for the Sat Nav as an extra. I hate having marks on the inside of my w/s. I travel a lot with work so as long as it isn't totally awful I should be fine.

Unfortunatly I don't really get much choice when it comes to extras. I would have prefered xeon lights or some bose speakers. Still it's free motor so beggers can't be choosers!

MPG the new BPH

Status
    what are those £300 after market fake rnse ones like?

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by nally View Post
    what are those £300 after market fake rnse ones like?
    crap!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

MPG the new BPH

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    crap!
    lol thats me told

2009 (58) plate audi A3 Sline 2.0TDI, DRL's with washers, Half Leather / Alcantara, I Pod Aux, 15% tints / EM tuning L.E.D. interior upgrade, fully machine corrected!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhymesaka View Post
    I have just purchased an RNSE of Paulie off here, I want one mainly as it finishes the interior off the sat nav is just a bonus.....
    couldnt agree more I'm a bit of a techy so love any from of extra electronics

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    crap!
    Yeah honestly, take it from someone whos experienced there tackiness, dont go down the Dynavin route, its cheaper but you can see just how cheap and crap they are. I bought one, you need an adapter which they dont tell you about just to get the back speakers to work. Theres a constant buzz from the front speakers, but dont wory, they can supply a resistor which you can change yoursefl to stop this, which at the same time voids your warranty.
    Oh and then to remove the unit to send back I had to dismantle the car because the cheap retaining clips snap off when you put the unit in for the first time... had to smash the screen in and crush the unit in on itself to remove....not worth the hastle at all!

=CRAP