Replacing Puddle Light Bulb

NCRAW

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got the last bit of my LED upgrade to go which is replacing the puddle lights with the LED panels i got from Trups. I managed to open the cover but the problem is that I got no wire length to work with!! i tried to pull but im getting no slack. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Yep, I had this. I took the door card off instead. Only takes 5 min each side.

It amazes how vag can complicate things!! By door card u mean the door interior panel?

make sure you remember to disconnect the lamp from the wire before fidling with the screwdriver in there as the fuse may pop.

Ok next question. Does anyone know how power is cut off to the lights when the door is closed. On other cars there is the little rubber covered spring on the body which is pressed by the door frame. I'm thinking if I cut the power then I can work on it without removing it.

It will not be simple ..like a fridge :), the computer will cut the power as it knows when the door is shut via the latch/central locking, hence the door open display in the DIS etc.
I dont see your problem here ?? Its 5 mins to remove the door card and lay it on the kitchen table. All the wiring and lights etc are fitted to the card and the card attaches to the system with one multi block connector.

I managed to do this without having to remove the door card. Just remove the screw/bot at the bottom of the door (could have been 2) and pull corner away where the speaker is. this should give you enough room to work with.

Sweet. Thanks guys. Il give the one corner pull a go first then if no go then it's the door card removal. ****** audi service, they ripped the door card off without undoing that bottom screw when replacing the window regulator so that screw is just for cosmetic purposes only. Not that it does much after the door is closed.

PS. Sweet write up on door removal. Well done. Also seems like everyone who had their card removed managed to damage the screw bit at the bottom.

Yeap as per decked, should be simple to do with card still on the door tbh.

The Decked way it is then :D I'll give it a go tomorrow. Really looking forward to finishing this project. While at it, one interesting thing I have with the foot well LEDs is that when I close the door and the lights dim off then I turn the ignition to ON (not engine start) and the needles finish the sweep, the footwell LEDs do two strobes then turn off. Happens again if door is closed and they are already off and u put ignition to on only this time its 3 strobes!! dont know why cause apart from that all LEDs are performing perfectly. Its pretty cool "feature" to be honest :) makes the car feel "high tech".

Did you manage to do it the decked way this? Having the same issue myself and dont fancy taking the whole door card off

the way I changed mine was to unscrew the screw, and unclip the door card just from the bottom, I then put bulbs in and put the light back in, whilst the door card was unclipped I could fit my hands in the card and clip the wire into the light holder,

the way I changed mine was to unscrew the screw, and unclip the door card just from the bottom, I then put bulbs in and put the light back in, whilst the door card was unclipped I could fit my hands in the card and clip the wire into the light holder,

Thanks I'll give this a go and hopefully it'll work out as I currently have no puddle light on one side lol