A3 Face lift Headlight problems. HELP

You need to do a bit of detective work...all this is on the net if you look.

Vehicle View - Audi A3 1.4 T FSI Sport - Coulsdon

Enlarge the pictures here and you will see the side light on in the first pic and the interior pic shows the switch with off/DRL/Side light/head light on the right hand side. note the switch is set to DRL so the fronts are on but the backs are off untill switched to side lights,

Last edited:

Enlarge the pictures here and you will see the side light on in the first pic and the interior pic shows the switch with off/DRL/Side light/head light on the right hand side. note the switch is set to DRL so the fronts are on but the backs are off untill switched to side lights,

WOW good detective work, very impressed. so the drl serve as both DRL and position is that what your saying?

the bulb used in the DRL on the facelift models are used for both sidelights (dimmed) and DRL (full brightness)
the car calls the DRL bulb 'Parking light' so if you have parking light errors then its referring to that bulb!

since you did not change the bulbs and assuming that the bulbs are not blown and need replacement then the next thing to check would be wiring as you have just done a facelift upgrade.

go and check the actual bulbs first and get a replacement set in there just to rule out its not the bulbs... if that doesnt work then start investigating the wiring.

the bulb used in the DRL on the facelift models are used for both sidelights (dimmed) and DRL (full brightness)
the car calls the DRL bulb 'Parking light' so if you have parking light errors then its referring to that bulb!

since you did not change the bulbs and assuming that the bulbs are not blown and need replacement then the next thing to check would be wiring as you have just done a facelift upgrade.

go and check the actual bulbs first and get a replacement set in there just to rule out its not the bulbs... if that doesnt work then start investigating the wiring.

Its so hard to get the DRL bulb unplugged, :( i tried today coudlnt do it! I really dont wanna touch the the guard or bumper to get the whole headlight out dont have time.:( ill try again on the weekend any advice how to disconnect the DRL bulb specifically?

a3rider,

You have to take the bumper off to get those bulbs out, no question about it. You just can't good enough access while they are still in and it only takes about 15 minutes to get it off. I've been following this thread as I have a 2009 "face-lifted" A3 that came with the halogen headlights you are trying to get working. Funny thing is, I did the swap install for the bi-xenons with the LED DRL and I have the same issue as you. I can get my LED DRLs to work and get the same error. My guess is that you have an improperly wired headlight, as do I. Also, I would assume, as I have done a bit of research that you have a wiring problem because there was change on the CEM between the 2008 preface lifted models and the most current. So the headlight itself may have pins located in different spots that don't match up with your car's loom? Not sure about it but it's a thought.

Would anyone happen to know, going from halogen to bi-xenon on a 2009, where on the CEM (plug and pin location) the city lights would be powered from?

a3rider,

You have to take the bumper off to get those bulbs out, no question about it. You just can't good enough access while they are still in and it only takes about 15 minutes to get it off. I've been following this thread as I have a 2009 "face-lifted" A3 that came with the halogen headlights you are trying to get working. Funny thing is, I did the swap install for the bi-xenons with the LED DRL and I have the same issue as you. I can get my LED DRLs to work and get the same error. My guess is that you have an improperly wired headlight, as do I. Also, I would assume, as I have done a bit of research that you have a wiring problem because there was change on the CEM between the 2008 preface lifted models and the most current. So the headlight itself may have pins located in different spots that don't match up with your car's loom? Not sure about it but it's a thought.

Would anyone happen to know, going from halogen to bi-xenon on a 2009, where on the CEM (plug and pin location) the city lights would be powered from?

Did you manage to light up your DRL ?? I got the high/low beam figured out. Its plug A pin 5 and plug D pin 6 , but with the LED wired to Plug a pin 7 and plug D pin 10, there i no power to the DRL...

I need a flow diagram for the ECm on the 2009-2011 A3 S-Line...

Thats the style of headlight switch I bought (but without height adjuster) and couldnt get it to work properly on my pre-facelift bi-xenons. The problem is the associated wiring diagram is for the facelift CE module that is completely different to the older version. Mind you, it was bought off ebay, perhaps its faulty LOL

Im still using my original switch as I can switch the DRLs off & on using the DIS.

So plug A pin 5 and Plug D pin 7 are for switching the high/low beam.

Plug A+D pin 3 would be for LED ??? Is that correct ? If i unplug the existing wire from those pin, will i loose my main light ?

Last edited:
Looks like i have to take my bumber off to take the lights off and re-wire the head coz the old headlights had a pin missing and the new lights have 1 also but not in the same place :( im guessing thats the position light little wright coz the position light ran with the highbeam :( ill get my hands dirty and report back. :)

no the above connectors are to retrofit bi-xenon head lights to a non xenon car... as you have standard halogen lights you would not have needed that.

since you are going around in circles with this i would suggest you start at the beginning... have a look at ELSAWIN and double check the wiring from your headlights to the CE module. make sure that the pins from the headlights are going to the right pins according to ELSA.

Did you just use the standard headlight harness from the 06 wiring and plug it into the newer facelift headlights? as your standard 06 headlights didnt have the 'parking lights' you would need to wire these in (either by adding in the wire or using an adapter)

some proper info on the actual install would help, as in did you change the CE module? was any other wiring harness/adapters used? or did you just plug in and expect it to play? sorry if this is repetitive but it seems that this is where the issue is.

no the above connectors are to retrofit bi-xenon head lights to a non xenon car... as you have standard halogen lights you would not have needed that.

since you are going around in circles with this i would suggest you start at the beginning... have a look at ELSAWIN and double check the wiring from your headlights to the CE module. make sure that the pins from the headlights are going to the right pins according to ELSA.

Did you just use the standard headlight harness from the 06 wiring and plug it into the newer facelift headlights? as your standard 06 headlights didnt have the 'parking lights' you would need to wire these in (either by adding in the wire or using an adapter)

some proper info on the actual install would help, as in did you change the CE module? was any other wiring harness/adapters used? or did you just plug in and expect it to play? sorry if this is repetitive but it seems that this is where the issue is.

The 06 Headlights had a parking position light ran to the main headlight wiring and into the pin it was a small bulb, i didnt do anything just plugged the new ones in and thats it. Sorry

Is it possible to transfer all my old housing from the 06 headlights to the new ones? eg take the lights out the wiring and put it in the new ones? i think that could work. this would be my last resort as i dont wanna take the bumper off as i know i will ruin it and not know how t put it back together.

ahhh so thats how you wired it... no mate it seems that your wiring is the culprit here and you need to correct this. the transfer of headlights is an awful idea! i will try to check on ELSA for you and see if i can find the correct wiring pins you need to use from the connector on the back of the headlight to the correct CE pin.

ahhh so thats how you wired it... no mate it seems that your wiring is the culprit here and you need to correct this. the transfer of headlights is an awful idea! i will try to check on ELSA for you and see if i can find the correct wiring pins you need to use from the connector on the back of the headlight to the correct CE pin.
So i just need to re-order the pins to suit the new headlights and everything should work fine??

so the old headlights were standard halogens and the parking light it had on that would just light up the side lights.
the new headlights have both side lights and a Daytime Running Light (DRL). now on the new halogen headlights these function as 2 separate lights but use the same bulb (less power for sidelight, full power for DRL) just the same as some cars have rear tail lights and brake lights with different brightness.

as you have used the standard wiring the car cannot see the DRL... this is because it uses a different pin on the CE (central electrics module) to pick up the DRL signal.
now on the back of the headlight connectors there will be a pin (one on either side) that is used for the DRL which should be wired up to the CE and it sounds as though that is what you are missing hence the error.

you would need to wire these pins in correctly for the car to know that it has a DRL bulb there and then stop complaining about it.

fixed FIXED :) :) :) :)

All i needed to do was move the grey pin to the empty one and no error parking lights work :) yayayayayaya

glad to hear its fixed! i knew it was a wiring issue... now you always have that option of getting the right headlight switch if your bothered

glad to hear its fixed! i knew it was a wiring issue... now you always have that option of getting the right headlight switch if your bothered

Yeah one day lol right now got other things to worry about. :(