Modifying Steering Assist on the S3

NCRAW

Reaction score
Hi All,

i know this topic has been covered before but it seems that no one can come up with a solution so I thought maybe someone somewhere have since found an aswer. The issue is the super light steering the S3 8P has. The pre 06 have the luxury of the vag com adjustment where you can change the setting of the steering assist from light to heavy. Unfortunately VAG decided that it was to costly to continue doing that so they made it a single setting: Super Light!! my original steering rack had an okay assist, bordering on nice but the new one installed earlier this yr (Gen III) is terrible. The car is very light and the feedback is not something im happy with. Sometimes I feel that i turn the steering wheel too far in order to get a response from the car at lower speeds. It is working as there re no errors and i can see the wheel turning with the smallest input.

I know people will talk about tyre pressures, castor (which im getting next week), lowering etc but is there a way to reduce the amount of assist by tricking the system? I read an article about using potentiometers etc but looks like a lot of wire cutting and soldering. Has no one made an after market module or anything like that? Does pulling the fuse make a difference (probably plenty of errors). Ive seen another person changing the module on his Golf with a pre 06 but it meant pulling the whole steering rack out to do it.

Any electricians, electric or electronic engineers around here that can help?

After driving my mate MK1 TT, I made my 2004 a bit heavier but as you've found too no dice on the newer ones. Ive not heard of anybody been able to alter the later racks. I dont think I'd recomend swapping the intergrated module about LOL. I'm sure it wasnt done for cost reasons, perhaps reliability reasons?

Bump, Got the same issue on my 07 oil burner s-line way way way tooo light? Anyone made any VCDS discoveries?