Don't Laugh..

plezz

Reaction score
i've got a 2010 1.6 TDI A3 sportback SE. at the moment I'm rocking 16's on standard suspension.

I'm the near future I'm looking at upgrading the suspension to the sport suspension. I know it only drops SE by 15mm but as this is also my work car I can't do anything drastic to it.

Now, does anyone know if the dampers on the SE are the same as the sport, and if they will be able to cope with the 15mm drop on sport springs? i cant seem to find a definitive answer anywere in the 8p forum.

Also, will 16's be able to cope with the lowered suspension? I dont want to kill the ride and handling of the car.

In the near future when money allows, I'mlooking at upgrading the wheels to 18's - but does anyone know if they will cope ok with the sport suspension - i think 18's usually come on S line which is lower still on top of the sport.

i know I sound like a total noob, but i can't seemto find this info anywhere.

thanks everyone.

Plezz.

Hi,

From my experiance and after hours of reading peoples debates on the internet, i can assure you that dropping 15mm wont screw your damper. It might worst case scenario increase its wear and tear rate, nothing noticable though :) ...

And again, i was rocking a 70mm drop on my 16" wheels with no problem, in fact they just about handle 19"s .. with a bit of rubbing of course ;) ... but yea wheels and damper will be fine with a 15mm drop :)

Cheers Sean, thanks for the advice fella. lol 70MM drop?? that sounds immense

oh yeah, and one last question here peeps. is it better to get lowered first, or get bigger wheels first? I'm assuming its best to do the suspension first as some wheels may not fit correctly once you;ve gone lower?

Reactions: Sean Mckinlay
Dropping your car 15mm is not going to harm your dampers or ride. I've just dropped my car 50mm below standard (so thats 35mm below sport) on Sport dampers and that feels fine, so 15mm on your SE dampers won't cause you problems.
As mentioned above, you may find they wear a bit quicker though.

And your 16" alloys will be fine. 18s will also be fine. I was running 18s for about a year on Sport springs with no problems at all.

For the type of drop you're talking about it doesn't matter if you get the wheels first or do the suspension first. Its when you start looking at big drops that you need to be more careful about the wheels and tyres you will be running.

PS: I've got my Sport springs sitting in my garage and I'm thinking about selling them :eyebrows:

lol i am tempted Ads. are your springs from a diesel or petrol? I've heard they have to match for the heavier diesel lumps.

I don't want to sound rude mate, but what kind of condition are the springs in? mine are only about 10 months old and i want to try to replace them with springs which dont have too much mileage on.

lol i am tempted Ads. are your springs from a diesel or petrol? I've heard they have to match for the heavier diesel lumps.

I don't want to sound rude mate, but what kind of condition are the springs in? mine are only about 10 months old and i want to try to replace them with springs which dont have too much mileage on.

I've just realised yours in an 8P3. I doubt my springs will be right for yours. :sob: