RNS-E DVD/SD missing from my car, best solution to replace?

jrsteeve

Reaction score
Bought the car at auction, no sat nav disc seems to be in the machine (I know they're locked in, but it says no disc), is it possible to download an up to date version to SD card rather than DVD? Possible silly question but can the CD/DVD drive take just one disc or more than one?

Cheers!

You need a genuine DVD disc for the sat nav, they are encrypted so difficult to copy. Try a PM to "NHN" on here. The drive is a single drive and needs the SAT nav Disc loaded all the time. You can get a 6 CD auto changer for it that sits in the glove box pretty cheap now..And no you cant run the sat from the SD or update from the SD.

Last edited:
The DVD can be locked so you cant eject a disc, this can be locked/unlocked using VCDS. Its not a usual state to have the RNS-E though. Have you tried to insert a normal music CD? This would let you know if there is an actual DVD in it or not and if its locked or not. By it saying no disc, either there isnt a disc in it after all or somebody has tried to burn a copy & failed. You cant download the SAT NAV to an SD card, they are for music only. If you dont have a SAT NAV DVD they can be bought of ebay 2nd hand for less than new though they may be a few years behind.

Bought a 2008 sat nav disc from ebay as mine didn't have the TMC traffic updates being the 2007 disc. You have to make sure you get the RNSE version and the later versions seem to be advertised with two discs, one for western and one for eastern europe. Not being too fussed about driving around eastern europe I just went for the western disc which I think is disc one. Mine was £35 iirc.

Awesome, cheers guys. It'll take a CD so sadly that'll mean the DVD definitely isn't inside. Boo at not being able to use one of the SD slots for the nav, i'll just use these for music instead.

Yup, make sure you get SD cards & not SDHC as they dont work unless you have the 2011 spec version (I got one of my SD cards from Tesco LOL)

Looks good to me jr but as it has a phone number to check before you buy, thats what i would do then if there is a prob you have some come back.

Ta. Looks like i'll be buying it from NHN off here to get it quicker. Won't have any issues going from 2008 to 2011 will I?

Ta. Looks like i'll be buying it from NHN off here to get it quicker. Won't have any issues going from 2008 to 2011 will I?

At that price they would have to be copies.

You will have no issues going from 2008 - 2011, NHN will see you right :)

I just upgraded myself from 2008 to 2011 and burnt myself a new nav 2011 WE with Safety Cameras without any issues.

Reading on Audiforum.us - they advise that using copies can reduce the life of the lazer due to it running a higher levels reading the way coplies are burned.