AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ads

Thread: A3 automatics, any thoughts good or bad.

1st Gear

Status

A3 automatics, any thoughts good or bad.

I am thinking of getting a newer A3 2.0 tdi and have seen an auto for sale, steptronic. In general is the automatic gearbox on the A3 seen as a good one (like Mercedes) or something to be avoided. I've never had an auto before, thought it might be fun.

Checking the figures, combined for a diesel is 48mpg, same manual is 52mpg.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Have a look at the thread a few further down. I didn't think Mercedes used double clutch or have only recently started to? Hence the older ones I've been in take an age to change?

DSG : What does everyone think
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Use the search button.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
    have seen an auto for sale, steptronic.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads (formerly aythree) View Post
    Ibis - BE 170 S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Use the search button.
    Have done, nothing much came up.

1st Gear

Status
    Anyway, today i test drove two 1 series, a Merc Coupe and an A3 steptronic.

Mercedes C220CDi 2006, very rough, noisy engine and it seemed 5 years behind everyone else in diesel technology.
    BMW 1 series, very quiet engine, but there is just something about them i dont like. Cant quite pin it down, but they are very unsexy, even dull.
    A3 Steptronic, nice auto gearbox and nice early change up in gears. Not the quietest engine, but an effortless drive. The one i wanted had been sold an hour before i arrived. Shame.

1st Gear

Status
    I have a 170 s-tronic, when it's not in limp mode it's been nice to drive, picks up well and changes really smoothly. The steering wheel controls come in handy fairly often too. Only slight down side is the sport mode, bit more of a chore to engage than I've had previously, don't expect i'll need it once it's been remapped though - my DPF blocked so i'm having it removed and tuned. I can't comment too much on mpg with the issues mines had constantly trying, and failing, to regenerate the DPF but it's given really good mpg on motorway trips so far.

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm averaging 50mpg (brimmed tank, 56mpg on the DIS). The DSG is my first auto and I wouldn't have anything else in a diesel after having a manual BMW diesel before.

As for the 1 series. Don't do it! The wife had one and it was the worst car we've ever owned.
    the crisis mobile BMW Z4C 3.0
    It's quick and it sounds bloody good.

1st Gear

Status
    DSG, S tronic, any preference?

1st Gear

Status
    DSG, S tronic, any preference?
    I could be wrong but I think they're the same thing? There isn't a DSG option on the 170, only S-tronic.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm confused here.

S- tronic is dsg, just Audi branding for the vw product. It is not an automatic it is based on a manual with two electronically operated clutches on a coax input shaft.

Conventional autos are a different design and have an epicyclic gearbox and a torque converter.

The s tronic or twin clutch is th future. Lots of pros of auto and manual rolled in to one.

Mercedes twin clutch s only available on some models, top end amgs and the sls and it's nowhere nearvasvgood yet.

Do not confuse an s-tronic with a Steptronic or tiptronic. It's the twin clutch terminology you need to look out for.

1st Gear

Status
    Okay, and what sort of real life mpg do people get. My A3 2.0 TDI maunal 2005 i get 56.3 driving sensibly, mostly motorway.

See the DSG: What does everyone think thread for a lot me detail about the DSG and Yes, just to confirm, S-tronic is just the Audi branding for what VW call the DSG. They are exactly the same.

DSG: What does everyone think
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Okay, and what sort of real life mpg do people get. My A3 2.0 TDI maunal 2005 i get 56.3 driving sensibly, mostly motorway.
    Is yours the 140bhp or 170?

1st Gear

Status

2nd Gear

Status
    Is that 56.3 on the DIS or the ACTUAL mpg? The DIS is more than a little optimistic in my experience. I've got approximately 50mpg ACTUAL from my TDi 140 DSG over the last 2000 miles with a mixture of town and motorway. That's driving sensibly most of the time up here in hilly, windy Scotland.
    the crisis mobile BMW Z4C 3.0
    It's quick and it sounds bloody good.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1inchpunch View Post
    Is that 56.3 on the DIS or the ACTUAL mpg? The DIS is more than a little optimistic in my experience. I've got approximately 50mpg ACTUAL from my TDi 140 DSG over the last 2000 miles with a mixture of town and motorway. That's driving sensibly most of the time up here in hilly, windy Scotland.
    Actual.