Jacking up the front with trolley jack and axel stands...

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I know there was a huge thread about this a while back but a full conclusion was never made and it amazes me that still no-one had a proper answer on how to correctly jack up the front of their A3 onto axel stands.

I bought the official jack pads from Audi only to then read at a later date within the same thread that they are only to be used when lifting the car at ALL four corners so they never got used in the end.

So... :)

I need to jack the front end of my A3 up for various jobs that need doing and I need to be able to put it onto two axel stands for safety. I have a trolley jack and two stands.

Could someone give me a definitive answer on how they do this please? :)

For the whole front end we used 2 trolley jacks, was much easier and safer. cant for the life of me remember where we placed them though, I know it wasn't the pinch welds if that's any good haha

I've usually used the front subframe for jacking up cars. Not jacked the Audi up yet but its a tough strong part of the car which has to take alot of pounding. Just my suggestion though.

I've usually used the front subframe for jacking up cars. Not jacked the Audi up yet but its a tough strong part of the car which has to take alot of pounding. Just my suggestion though.

Not being a mechanic, where is the front subframe, and what does it look like? :)

I always look for the subframe too, just poke your head under your car and have a look for some large beams about half a foot behind your front wheel. Should be able to see it easily enough

I always look for the subframe too, just poke your head under your car and have a look for some large beams about half a foot behind your front wheel. Should be able to see it easily enough

Large beams that travel width or length ways across the car?

After a short trip outside i now see your predicament... It is raining though so il hope someone else can come up with an answer

i always go for the rear wishbone mount

Basically if your looking straight at the wheel, poke your head behind the wheel (to the rear) and you will see a large bolted on piece of metal the width of your car, if you can find a flat'ish place for the jack to go that won't be able to slip off that will be perfect. The obvious reason you can't jack your car up on the under body is because its soft and will put a hole in the floor of your car.

I always go on the rear wishbone mounting to the subframe. If you look under your car, behind your wheel you will see a suspension arm. If you follow it back in towards the centre of the car where it bolts to the under side of the car. I put my jack on that bolt as that is the strongest place that i know of.

Ive gone through the whole process when changing the front sway bar. I started with ramps only to find out i could not get the subframe back on due to the load on the wheels so then had to jack the car up to remove the ramps and put jack stands. Now the issue was where to put the jack since there was no subframe and the ramp didnt allow me to use the sill edge with the arrow marking so I had to go back further which meant bending and mushing the edge!! i was swearing and cursing but at least i managed to get rid of the ramps and put the jack stands (i used the oem sway bar bushes to protect the edge from damage). I since have straigtened the sill edge and coated it with protective liquid rubber and looks pretty good. What I should have done, even with the subframe not there is to use where the lower arm connects to the chassis at the back. This is the round thingie with the rubber bush inside which some people replace with the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit/Castor.

NCRAW: remind me to talk to you about this when I come around next week.
I always have massive issues when it comes to jacking up the car in the correct spot and like you, have damaged the soft edges under the car.

No worries poli. I'll show u my worksmanship hehe. I still got some of that rubber left so if you want to coat yours, then we can do it.

I always go on the rear wishbone mounting to the subframe. If you look under your car, behind your wheel you will see a suspension arm. If you follow it back in towards the centre of the car where it bolts to the under side of the car. I put my jack on that bolt as that is the strongest place that i know of.

This sounds good :) I'll try this on the weekend

Would there be any plastic coverings over this, or will I be able to see what you're on about without having to remove any plastic plates first?

sorry didn't mean to dislike that post!