Badger5Monster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

Jacking up the front with trolley jack and axel stands...

I know there was a huge thread about this a while back but a full conclusion was never made and it amazes me that still no-one had a proper answer on how to correctly jack up the front of their A3 onto axel stands.

I bought the official jack pads from Audi only to then read at a later date within the same thread that they are only to be used when lifting the car at ALL four corners so they never got used in the end.

So...

I need to jack the front end of my A3 up for various jobs that need doing and I need to be able to put it onto two axel stands for safety. I have a trolley jack and two stands.

Could someone give me a definitive answer on how they do this please?
    WANTED: S3 Side Skirts (3DR)

A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    For the whole front end we used 2 trolley jacks, was much easier and safer. cant for the life of me remember where we placed them though, I know it wasn't the pinch welds if that's any good haha
    STUFF FOR SALE: DLS R6 Midbass drivers, MFSW 3 spoke and Pioneer P88RS II
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:
    3 door A3 8P custom doorbuilds

please contact for more info

1st Gear

Status
    I've usually used the front subframe for jacking up cars. Not jacked the Audi up yet but its a tough strong part of the car which has to take alot of pounding. Just my suggestion though.
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-170-Quattro View Post
    I've usually used the front subframe for jacking up cars. Not jacked the Audi up yet but its a tough strong part of the car which has to take alot of pounding. Just my suggestion though.
    Not being a mechanic, where is the front subframe, and what does it look like?

A3 S Line DSG TDi 140 (56) | Lava Grey | Groove & Drilled Discs | Green Stuff Pads | Eibach Sportline Springs | Eibach Spacers | Full heated leather | RNS-E 2010 MK2 | Rear Parking Sensors | Interior Light Pack | Heated Mirrors

ern
    Neutral

Status
    I always look for the subframe too, just poke your head under your car and have a look for some large beams about half a foot behind your front wheel. Should be able to see it easily enough
    Mercedes Alphards for sale CHEAP ... PM for details

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ern View Post
    I always look for the subframe too, just poke your head under your car and have a look for some large beams about half a foot behind your front wheel. Should be able to see it easily enough
    Large beams that travel width or length ways across the car?

ern
    Neutral

Status
    After a short trip outside i now see your predicament... It is raining though so il hope someone else can come up with an answer
    Mercedes Alphards for sale CHEAP ... PM for details

4th Gear

Status
    i always go for the rear wishbone mount
    8P S3

1st Gear

Status
    Basically if your looking straight at the wheel, poke your head behind the wheel (to the rear) and you will see a large bolted on piece of metal the width of your car, if you can find a flat'ish place for the jack to go that won't be able to slip off that will be perfect. The obvious reason you can't jack your car up on the under body is because its soft and will put a hole in the floor of your car.
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

1st Gear

Status
    I always go on the rear wishbone mounting to the subframe. If you look under your car, behind your wheel you will see a suspension arm. If you follow it back in towards the centre of the car where it bolts to the under side of the car. I put my jack on that bolt as that is the strongest place that i know of.
    Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

1st Gear

Status
    ^^ Better put lol

Fossie

Status
    Why not use a pair of ramps first and then pop the stands under ?

1st Gear

Status
    Ive gone through the whole process when changing the front sway bar. I started with ramps only to find out i could not get the subframe back on due to the load on the wheels so then had to jack the car up to remove the ramps and put jack stands. Now the issue was where to put the jack since there was no subframe and the ramp didnt allow me to use the sill edge with the arrow marking so I had to go back further which meant bending and mushing the edge!! i was swearing and cursing but at least i managed to get rid of the ramps and put the jack stands (i used the oem sway bar bushes to protect the edge from damage). I since have straigtened the sill edge and coated it with protective liquid rubber and looks pretty good. What I should have done, even with the subframe not there is to use where the lower arm connects to the chassis at the back. This is the round thingie with the rubber bush inside which some people replace with the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit/Castor.

2nd Gear

Status
    NCRAW: remind me to talk to you about this when I come around next week.
    I always have massive issues when it comes to jacking up the car in the correct spot and like you, have damaged the soft edges under the car.
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

BUILD THREAD

1st Gear

Status
    No worries poli. I'll show u my worksmanship hehe. I still got some of that rubber left so if you want to coat yours, then we can do it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy1502002 View Post
    I always go on the rear wishbone mounting to the subframe. If you look under your car, behind your wheel you will see a suspension arm. If you follow it back in towards the centre of the car where it bolts to the under side of the car. I put my jack on that bolt as that is the strongest place that i know of.
    This sounds good I'll try this on the weekend

Would there be any plastic coverings over this, or will I be able to see what you're on about without having to remove any plastic plates first?

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    sorry didn't mean to dislike that post!
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED