Swapping 2010 MK2 RNS-E For 2011 Version, Plug & Play?

Paullie

Banana Menace!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I love the look of the glossy black surround on the 2011 RNS-E navi system and have treated myself to a new one, which will replace my current 2010 MK2 RNS-E. Does anyone know if it will be completely plug and play or will it need any coding done? Many thanks in advance!

Paullie :wub: x

Hi paullie, think it will b plug and play, dont think itll need
Coding, im sure someone will confirm this soon tho, nice
Purchase,

Cal

Thanks Cal, hopefully it will be nice and easy, lol. I'll be happy enough to code it if need be, but even better if it's not required. :wub: x

I know someone who will happily give the 2010 version a new home :kiss:

Lol, I hadn't thought that far ahead yet, but I guess the 2010 one will be looking for a new home as soon as my new one is fitted. :wub: x

First refusal is yours, Buddy. Will be in touch soon. :wub: x

Hi Paullie,

I did this and if its new no problem... however i had to code mine to get the calibration correct and my SDS high working again.

Hi Paullie,

I did this and if its new no problem... however i had to code mine to get the calibration correct and my SDS high working again.

That's great news, Dude. Thanks for that. It's brand new, so will hopefully be plug and play as you say. Fab! :wub: x

Hi, the RNS-E may need coding to the options fitted on your car such as bose, bluetooth and telephone e.t.c., I fitted a 2011 RNS-E to my car and had to code it as it threw up fault codes.

Hi, the RNS-E may need coding to the options fitted on your car such as bose, bluetooth and telephone e.t.c., I fitted a 2011 RNS-E to my car and had to code it as it threw up fault codes.

Thanks for that, Fox! I have my current coding to hand anyway, so if it needs coding, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me. We'll see, lol! :wub: x

it'll be fine, i'd swap it as its never not going to work or let you use most of the functions..... then identify any issues once in, prob 50% it needs coding, if it does you'll still have the majority of functionality so no downside really

it'll be fine, i'd swap it as its never not going to work or let you use most of the functions..... then identify any issues once in, prob 50% it needs coding, if it does you'll still have the majority of functionality so no downside really

Sounds like good advice, Dude. Will give it a go and see how I get on with it, then code the bits I need if any probs arise. :wub: x

I think you'll be extremely unlucky if everything doesn't work...best of luck :)

Just the codes that flag when you unplug it would annoy me knowing they are there, so get the faults wiped sooner rather than later - makes any future issues easier to diagnose :)

Do you have any pictures of this new RNS-E? I wish I had the money to buy one and replace my Concert :/

Here's a pic of what it will look like :wub: x

5618350014_5319a30074.jpg

actually thinking about it Paulie, if its new you probably wont have the S3 flash up on start up which will need coding ;)

Couple of questions!

1) Is that a cup holder on the right side of the warning light? And if so, is it retrofit?

2) Are you selling your old RNS-E?

actually thinking about it Paulie, if its new you probably wont have the S3 flash up on start up which will need coding ;)

Cheers Bud, yeah, think you're probably right. :wub: x

How much did that set you back? O_O

£910, ..could probably have bought a secondhand one cheaper, but wanted to make sure it's not been pinched from someone's car and wanted to source it from UK also. :)

uh oh....the girl needs a TPMS button :)

Lol ..my ABS controller can take the coding only TPMS set up, but just havent got round to sorting it out yet. :wub: x

Couple of questions!

1) Is that a cup holder on the right side of the warning light? And if so, is it retrofit?

2) Are you selling your old RNS-E?

1) It's a coin tray, but don't really use it.

2) I will be selling it, but have a couple of peeps lined up already with first and second dibs. I've seen some MK1 RNS-E's for sale on here for £450, so will be asking £500 + postage for my MK2 which is in perfect condition and will come with 2010 navi disc, GPS antenna and PIN code. :wub: x

Lol ..my ABS controller can take the coding only TPMS set up, but just havent got round to sorting it out yet. :wub: x

1) It's a coin tray, but don't really use it.

2) I will be selling it, but have a couple of peeps lined up already with first and second dibs. I've seen some MK1 RNS-E's for sale on here for £450, so will be asking £500 + postage for my MK2 which is in perfect condition and will come with 2010 navi disc, GPS antenna and PIN code. :wub: x

Ok :) PM me if they magically no longer want to buy it.

Cheers - and coin tray..? strange :p

Looking good!

I'd wondered if the black gloss would be bad for finger prints and dust. We're having our black door and centre console trim swapped out for alu look like yours, but will keep the black gloss RNSE. 6 weeks to go!!!

Looking good!

I'd wondered if the black gloss would be bad for finger prints and dust. We're having our black door and centre console trim swapped out for alu look like yours, but will keep the black gloss RNSE. 6 weeks to go!!!

Thanks Warren, ..exciting times ahead for you! I know Rico swapped his piano black door and centre console bits out for alu ones too, ..much easier to keep looking nice. I'm really excited for you, ..lovely new S3 to look forward to!! :wub: x

Feels like it's been forever! Ordered in late April, and been nursing a worn clutch since June!

Your car has been therapy in the meantime!

p.s. mine was second hand. If yours is new you may be ok.

If its new it will require coding, thats a fact.

Ok :) PM me if they magically no longer want to buy it.

Cheers - and coin tray..? strange :p

No such thing as a cup holder on newer cars now, but I wouldnt even contemplate a drink holder in front of my rns-e.

If its new it will require coding, thats a fact.

Lol, ah well, I'd best dust down my VCDS cable then. I've got my original coding handy, so will code the new one to match and fingers crossed it all works! Thanks very much Nigel for a definitive answer! :wub: x

I thinking about updating to 2011 spec for the updated inners, not so keen on the gloss though LOL. Mine if the poverty spec original - not even chrome knobs :)

As said, plugging it in will get it working ok but you will need to use your lead to fine tune/tweak the functions to match your car's specs

I thinking about updating to 2011 spec for the updated inners, not so keen on the gloss though LOL. Mine if the poverty spec original - not even chrome knobs :)

As said, plugging it in will get it working ok but you will need to use your lead to fine tune/tweak the functions to match your car's specs

Yeah Euan, will just pop it in the car - when my removal keys turn up, lol - and see how it goes. Will have to - at very least - code Bose, BT and S3 screen logo and no doubt some other bits. I am slowly bringing mine up to 2011 spec too (have done rear lights and gloss black B pillars exterior wise), but had Piano Black dash in my last car and TBH it was VERY easily scratched, so I'm happy to leave my alu bits as they are. Have also got some new window switches with the chrome bits on and the mirror switch to be fitted. Was tempted to go to Halfrauds today to get some removal keys, but have already paid for a set on their way, so would just be a waste. Have managed to resist the temptation so far, so hopefully Mr Postman will bring them tomoz, so I can get the thing fitted, lol! Will let you know how it goes :wub: x