Thinking of upgrading... 8L to 8P

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevoS3

Reaction score
Hey all 8P owners! I currently have a 2002 S3 225 and am thinking about upgrading to newer model. Basically just wondered if anyone has done the the same and what they're honest thoughts were. Like exspenses, fuel and repairs.. parts also?

What are the comon problem with the 8P S3?

Thanks guys

I used to own an 8L and i loved it, but as soon as i upgraded to 8P i didnt miss the old girl so much..
Cant really comment on repairs as i've had no problems yet (touch wood) but i love the whole new feel of the interior and the whole car in general.
I love 8L's to bits but since i've owned an 8P i've realise how dated they look on the road and tbh I wouldn't go back.

Saying that my 8L was just a lil 1.6 so cant really compare to your s3 haha

Don't do it, the 8p S3 is not worth the extra ££ and you'll spend way more than you set out to on oversized sunglasses ;)
Just buy an sline they look identical :lmfao:

I thought we'd already established that the 8L was greater then the 8P..

Never looked back mate, had my 8L for 4 years i think, loved it to bits.... this is a different league though, out powers,out brakes, out handles, out classses with the toys..... just a newer version of what are both wonderful cars.

Conincidentally I'm selling towards the end of this month for an estate of all things!! will be sorry to see my 8P go :(

Never looked back mate, had my 8L for 4 years i think, loved it to bits.... this is a different league though, out powers,out brakes, out handles, out classses with the toys..... just a newer version of what are both wonderful cars.

Conincidentally I'm selling towards the end of this month for an estate of all things!! will be sorry to see my 8P go :(

In other words stay 8l ;).

What you going for tim?? This so you can get the mut in the boot

No common problems as such, diverter valves can be a pain after remaps but that seems to be only real thing that people seem to complain about, the 2.0tfsi engines are a much better engine and IMO the exterior/interior is a hell of an improvement over the 8L. As mentioned if your worried about the extra costs of the S3 could always opt for the similar A3.

No common problems as such, diverter valves can be a pain after remaps but that seems to be only real thing that people seem to complain about, the 2.0tfsi engines are a much better engine and IMO the exterior/interior is a hell of an improvement over the 8L. As mentioned if your worried about the extra costs of the S3 could always opt for the identical looking A3.

Dv's can go on 8l's as well, so that's not a biggy anyway..

Diverter valves are only an issue on the pre facelifts IIRC - post have upgraded versions

In other words stay 8l ;).

What you going for tim?? This so you can get the mut in the boot

Looking like an A6 3.0 TDI mate, avant....think the boot will still be slightly too small but its much closer than the A4 avant and has all the upgraded nav/toys etc ....

Mans car that fella lovely motor too. Thirsty for a derv iv heard.

not as thirsty as this :)

£40 is getting me 150 miles ish at the mo, 3.0 tdi roughly 225? not a million times better but good amount of performance still

(sorry to the OP for detracting)

Hey all 8P owners! I currently have a 2002 S3 225 and am thinking about upgrading to newer model. Basically just wondered if anyone has done the the same and what they're honest thoughts were. Like exspenses, fuel and repairs.. parts also?

What are the comon problem with the 8P S3?

Thanks guys
If you keep it another year or so you will be able to pick them up sub 10k, so quite a saving....

'or so' being the operative phrase..... :)

Good thing for the 8P is the barrier to depreciation the 8L creates...

Here we go again lol..!! You boys invading our section are ya!?

Seriously tho, I love my 8p, but I also loved my 225 8L.. Would I go back? Probably not now, but the 8L is a fantastic car, which is directly responsible for the evolution into the 8p.. I would say get an s-tronic tho, or at least have ahold drive in one, it's one of the best things about the 8p IMHO

just sell it and buy a seat leon cupra r from 99 to 05 plate the 1.8t 225bhp u can pick them up for 5-6.5k easy and u get so much more for your money than what u get from an 8p

just sell it and buy a seat leon cupra r from 99 to 05 plate the 1.8t 225bhp u can pick them up for 5-6.5k easy and u get so much more for your money than what u get from an 8p
An admission from one of your own...Uh-oh it's all gone wrong..

Here we go again lol..!! You boys invading our section are ya!?

Seriously tho, I love my 8p, but I also loved my 225 8L.. Would I go back? Probably not now, but the 8L is a fantastic car, which is directly responsible for the evolution into the 8p.. I would say get an s-tronic tho, or at least have ahold drive in one, it's one of the best things about the 8p IMHO

We're not invading, just voicing an opinion in a mutual interest. :lmfao:

But seriously the 8l is more of a manly looking motor and it's looks are more worthy of the S.

And if Tim is selling up for a dirty derv then they must Shoddy ;)

he needs more room for a big dog... or was in more room for a bit of dogging? I can't remember :undwech:

Doggings alright
Dervs not

Although you can just start the car up if the old bill come, and drive off in a ploom of smoke! :lmfao:

Only the newer 2.0 cupras could be said as to getting more for your money, although i would still disagree; same engine but woeful interior and fwd.

You get 265bhp (though more like 280BHP going off a lot of standard RR graphs) a nicer cabin, exterior, engine, better modding potential than an 8L or Cupra out the box

The list goes on and on. The 8L is a very old car now, its interior is aging badly, the exterior is ageing worse and the engine struggles to keep up with most cars out there now, a vauxhall corsa vxr will pull the pants down of one from rolling! The game moved on a while ago and the 8L was left behind im afraid.

what excactly is wrong with going derv with a bit of dogging may i ask?
At least when tim rills up they'll expect a man.

You'll be inundated with Wang ;)

Only the newer 2.0 cupras could be said as to getting more for your money, although i would still disagree; same engine but woeful interior and fwd.

You get 265bhp (though more like 280BHP going off a lot of standard RR graphs) a nicer cabin, exterior, engine, better modding potential than an 8L or Cupra out the box

The list goes on and on. The 8L is a very old car now, its interior is aging badly, the exterior is ageing worse and the engine struggles to keep up with most cars out there now, a vauxhall corsa vxr will pull the pants down of one from rolling! The game moved on a while ago and the 8L was left behind im afraid.

You're not going to go off of RR graphs are you? If only I could find the 'dyno lotttery' pic...

If we are going to use 'Seat' snobbery, then how you can compare a VAUXHALL CORSA to an 8L... A corsa would'nt cane an 8L anyway, as they aren't that quick.. And as for 'the engine struggles to keep up with most cars out there', where the hell do you live, Abu Dhabi?? There aren't a massive percentage of your average car that'll keep up with a 225bhp 4wd hatchback..

DO IT! awesome cars. I have just sold mine. I'll miss it loads. iv'e driven an 8L S3 and the 8P is as you would expect - better in everyway possible from what I could see anyway.

may i add...dogging is the way forward.....

oh and Seats suck d**k ;) unless you like third grade plastics :)

At least when tim rills up they'll expect a man.

You'll be inundated with Wang ;)

yeah but my friend you dont see it, i roll up in my car which yes is maybe a hair dressers car/ girls car but thats the point if girls love it? i get more gash attention than youve had to fill up... whilst you get boys looking at your car (well tbh your exempt as your car is baby blue) i get tons of girls so do i care :moa:

The 8L is a very old car now, its interior is aging badly, the exterior is ageing worse and the engine struggles to keep up with most cars out there now, a vauxhall corsa vxr will pull the pants down of one from rolling! The game moved on a while ago and the 8L was left behind im afraid.

Youve got to laugh at this utter Cr*p, you are showing yourself, and your 8p guys up

Both the 8L and 8P have their places, the 8L was slightly more special but unfortuantely is dated in comparison to the 8P.....natural progression and expected.....the natural step up is to buy an 8P

I wasn't disappointed and nobody will sway me back..... the 8P is a ****** top car IMO and if it weren't for a number of factors, i'd keep mine in a heart beat.

the 8L S3 is still a very good car - not to put a downer on the 8L here guys. 1.8turbo, QUATTRO little hatchback - POCKET ROCKET. very quick cars.

The 8p is just alot more classier as its newer. Upgrade boy

Only the newer 2.0 cupras could be said as to getting more for your money, although i would still disagree; same engine but woeful interior and fwd. You get 265bhp (though more like 280BHP going off a lot of standard RR graphs) a nicer cabin, exterior, engine, better modding potential than an 8L or Cupra out the boxThe list goes on and on. The 8L is a very old car now, its interior is aging badly, the exterior is ageing worse and the engine struggles to keep up with most cars out there now, a vauxhall corsa vxr will pull the pants down of one from rolling! The game moved on a while ago and the 8L was left behind im afraid.
As far as I can see the 8l s3 was and still is a very sexy looking motor and it also is defined from it's lower priced siblings with interior /exterior differences however yrs could easily be past by on the rd as an sline tdi. And throw on a £200 generic map and we have Yr mohoosivly overpriced 265psiAs for the anal corsa comment :lmfao:

But seriously the 8l is more of a manly looking motor and it's looks are more worthy of the S.
;)
That's a generalisation at best! While there are some styling bits I miss from the 8L - mainly the arches, it is nowhere near as mean looking as the 8P at the front end.. The drop down bugatti esque grill and slitty lights give it an angry front end, something the 8L was always lacking.. If you could combine the old S3 arches into the 8P this argument would be academic from a looks point of view!

Status
Not open for further replies.