Where is the "max" mark??

Ads

ASN Veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.aythreee.com
Over the weekend I was having a look in my engine bay and I looked at the coolant reservoir and noticed there is no maximum fill-up mark.

Am I missing something??
Where is it?

coolantmy.jpg

Does there need to be one ??

I use the 'seam' as the max line but I'm sure it can't be critical !:icon_thumright:

Does there need to be one ??

I use the 'seam' as the max line but I'm sure it can't be critical !:icon_thumright:

Every other car I've owned has had a max line.
Isn't it supposed to be pretty bad to overfill with coolant, due to the fact that hot water expands.

I'd never fill it to the brim so i'll be ok, but I bet there's probably someone somewhere who would given the absence of a max indicator.

It just stood out to me because it's the first I've owned without a max.

I normally fill till the middle of the reservoir.

I did this the other day as i noticed mine was low. I think the max is the thick black bar just slightly above the min one. Thats what i filled mine to anyway. Could be wrong tho

Last edited:
Hi im new to this site lol. just fort id let u know the {MAX LINE} is the 1 just above the MIN on the bottle. i now cus its my day to day job working on cars... lol. But i want hurt to go to the seam on the bottle.

The S3 and the 3.2 have a clear MAX line about 2cm above the thick seam. what does your manual say ? mine has a picture .

If its like this one then anywhere in the shaded area between the lines is fine

AUDI A3 2009 COOLANT BOTTLE | eBay

Last edited:
So basically mine has been overfilled by quite a lot then?? That's actually my tank in the first post.
My local Audi dealer did that!

Last edited:
Its an "expansion" tank Ads the level will rise and fall with temp. Level will change from hot to stone cold, it will also allow steam to condense

Last edited:
Its an "expansion" tanks Ads the level will rise and fall with temp

Yep, I know that, but the level you see is when the engine was cold.... therefore at its lowest level.
I'll have to keep an eye on how much it expands by when the car is at its running temp.

If thats the position it cooled in you may well find the level drops as soon as the thermostat reopens. It will not necessarily drain back into the system as it cools but it might shortly after you startup ie run the pump :)

like paddy says..... if i were you i'd wait until its cold, take the cap off and run it for a couple of minutes, this will give you the correct level

donations for advice gratefully received

Mine's actually got a silver sticker on the bottle that moves the min line up a bit and covers the old min line.
I asked Audi and they said it was correct and that they recommend filling it up to the seam line.

as said the line above the min line is the max. if i was you id just get a turkey baster and suck out the excess

i posted a thread about the mess they made of my pollen filter and have just seen your thread. Tbh i dont know who at audi actually service the cars but basic things like this should be done properly.

One things for sure,they wont be getting any of my money in future,ill get my 12 year old to do it for some pocket money.You never know he might make it to a audi master technician by the age of 14 lol

as said above, it may be that the level isn't incorrect.... all garages use a technique of removing the cap when refilling coolant to gauge the proper level and aid air bubble removal. Check this before removing anything!!

Having said that fitters are exactly that, fitters...a lot of main dealers fitters get instructions printed off for every job they do - few actually employ full on mechanics - so your paying for your stamp and guarantee its been done correctly..... use that to you advantage if you've paid ya money!

simples

i always fill it up to the base of the plastic line hanging down inside the bottle its got a small ball on it that is the correct line as far as im aware
picy >>
DSCF2340.jpg

Last edited:
Ads you big girl you lol :jester:

The upper thicker line is the max. The lower one is marked as the min. Guess they didnt think they would have to mark the max if the min one is marked. You have too much in but as Paddy said let it run and see if it lowers. :friends:

Haha, thanks for the definite answer guys! ;)

So basically, the max line is somewhere between 1) the line above the min line (thinking about it, this does make sense now!), 2) the seam of the bottle, and 3) the little "plastic line that hangs down".

To be honest, I wasn't really worried about it, I asked more out of interest... but I've let mine run a bit now with the cap off etc and the level is still way above any of those max's.
But at what appears to be its full expansion the coolant isn't too close to the top of the reservoir so I guess it's ok.

You'll be fine.
If you over feel the coolant bottle and the lid is working correctly, it will vent any excesses coolant out of the lid.

You'll be fine.
If you over feel the coolant bottle and the lid is working correctly, it will vent any excesses coolant out of the lid.
That's what I've always been told. Certainly with my last car, it would find its own level after a few runs, and no two cars would be the same!