Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Call me Dan :)

Status

God Damn Bulb Holders!!

One of my Mtec bulbs stopped working after only 2 days!
    So I thought I'd go out this morning and change it back the original ones, the Mtec that was still working on the nearside went fine, swapped it over no problem.

Went to the offside of the one that wasn't working, twisted the bulb holder and the bulb smashed in the headlight So what do you guys recommend as at the minute, there are shards of glass inside the headlight housing which are blue coloured, so very noticeable.
    I've got some out by wrapping tape around a long fork handle (no, not four candles) but it just isn't long enough to get to the bottom, any ideas?

Cheers,
    Dan.
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

2. # ADS
    ADS

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'd sell my car and buy another one.

Neutral

Status
    Sorry couldn't resist. I can't see you getting it all without taking the light out and shaking the glass out?

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Or this..............

....replacing the cocaine with the broken glass.

Nah, seriously... probably what he said above, take the light off and shake it.

Status
    Don't suppose I can take the light out without the bumper off guys?

I think snorting glass would be more painful then looking at it in the bottom of my headlight!!
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Or......

modify a car hoover, taping a plastic tube to the end and then feeding the other end of the tube into your headlight and sucking up the broken glass.
    That should work.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Coat hanger, with double sided sticky tape on end, feed through the bulb holes & it will stick glass to it, snorted

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    snorted

Status
    Didn't think of a coat hanger Nigel, good man!
    Ads, the hoover idea may work as I have a Dyson haha, trouble is, not sure if I have metal coat hangers
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I gave up on Mtec as the bulbs have failed twice now... going to look for some LED Drls... sorry to hear about the glass matey... looks like it might have to be a bumper off/headlight out jobby to get all the glass out properly.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Or get hoover, get some duck tape, tape some small rubber etc piping to it, stick it into headlight & suck it out with flexible pipe, being careful to maybe allow some air in by the duck tape as the restriction of suction could burn motor out, so caution advised, should work if no coat hanger about.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Status
    Problem solved

Pi**ed wet through mind! Used a couple of pens with the inks removed, some tape and a fork and got the nasty coloured bits out
    There is still some in there, but hopefully driving about will make it move out of sight, even though it is clear glass so you can't really see it

Never using cheap bulbs again, Nigel, can you PM me a price for the LED Bi-Xenons please, just the housings as I'll source the bulbs and ballasts separate.
    Last edited by Chappy; 5th September 2011 at 13:36.
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Or get hoover, get some duck tape, tape some small rubber etc piping to it, stick it into headlight & suck it out with flexible pipe, being careful to maybe allow some air in by the duck tape as the restriction of suction could burn motor out, so caution advised, should work if no coat hanger about.
    Is there an echo in here?

Neutral

Status
    Dan

Good to hear you got this sorted, was going to recommend a solution:

Use some masking tape, a straw and a hoover end. Tape the straw to the hoover end, should allow you to gain access inside?

Like so: