Monster MotorsportBadger5

Status

Fitting an S-Line grill badge to Sportback

This morning I received a genuine Audi S-Line grill badge bought from eBay. The vendor stated that the badge will fit the Sportback, and having offered it up to the grill, it certainly looks like it will sit on the very right of the grill as the two plastic guides at the back of the badge line up with the narrower grill slats.

My problem is I don't know how to attach it with the two metal clips that were supplied. I can see how the metal clips will clasp the badge from the back, but does anyone know how it then attaches to the grill?

Hopefully someone has done this before! Any help/feedback much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_VaulterTim

Re: Fitting an S-Line grill badge to Sportback

If that's the badge you're talking about, and the grille has straight horizontal slats in it (a guess because I don't actually know what the SB grille looks like), then it is similar to the OE grille I had on my A4Q.

The Quattro badge on that has similar plastic lugs with accompanying clips and it attaches into the grille by clipping the badge plus one of the grille slats together from the back, i.e. you slide the clip over both to clamp them together.

Just a suggestion because you seem stuck but I could be miles off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

T

Neutral

Status

I've fitted a s-line grille badge to my 3 door, and I guess it'll be pretty much the same for you.

I just went out to Halfords and got a T30x123 Torx screwdriver to undo the bolts that hold the grille on (just next to the lights, on either side of the bonnet catch).

It was pretty tricky, and I ended up with scrached up forearms (I've got kind of popeye forearms, so that didn't help!) but I could then get my arm down behind the grille to attach the clips.

Maybe I made it more complicated that I needed to, but I couldn't see any way of fitting the badge without getting in behind the grille. I also remember someone mentioning on here ages ago that's how they had done it....

Hope that helps!

imported_jamesgraham

If you remove the three torx screws in the top of the grille you can wedge something in just enough to leave a gap to get your arm down to push the clips on the rear of the badge.
    Its a bit fiddly but thats how i did it.
    Like you i tried to remove the grille but it looks like its clipped on somehow at the bottom . didn't want to chance snapping anything off so i didn't remove it completely.

Status

Thanks for all the responses. First of all Japper, that is the badge I bought but the back of it looks different - I have four plastic extensions from the back of the badge, two slim ones and two thicker ones which the clips appear to attach to.

ahuntley's account makes much more sense the way he's described it! A first I thought the clips would extend all the way through the grill to attach themselves but they're nowhere near long enough.

While I fiddle about with it again, would it be possible to get some photos posted up here? If you can't host them I'll PM you later to get an email address. There's lots of these S-Line badges for sale on eBay right now and I reckon this question will come again, if it hasn't already!

imported_pplpilot1

I'd go back to the dealer if my car came without the badges it was supposed to...

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd go back to the dealer if my car came without the badges it was supposed to...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had considered contacting an Audi dealer about this. I should add my Sportback isn't an S-Line - it's a 2.0TDI SE but I fancied giving the already large grill a little more presence! Can't be the only one to have done this ...

imported_pplpilot1

sorry, i'm a little confused. Why would one badge a car to be somthing other than what it is?
    kinda like putting a 944 badge on a 924 dont you think?
    I dunno maybe its me, but I think its kinda sad that one would do that. I take delivery of a 2.0D sport SB on Tuesday, thats what I wanted and thats what I ordered, im not going to stick an s-line badge on it....

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

bowfer,

Slightly off subject, but Speccy cars have a red s-line sportback 2.0 TFSI in the showroom. The s-line pack on the sportback looks sooooooo good.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif[/img]
    I've always preferrred 3 door versions of all hatches, look more sporting and all that. That preference took a severe battering today.

6th Gear

Status

"Slightly off subject, but Speccy cars have a red s-line sportback 2.0 TFSI in the showroom. The s-line pack on the sportback looks sooooooo good"

I'll have to nip in and have a look.
    See one 'in the flesh'.
    Cheers for that info.

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Nae bother, drool away to your hearts content.

Enjoy.

imported_pplpilot1

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm with you poppyday.
    Each to their own,but it does seem a wee bit strange.
    It'd be a wee bit 'naughty' if it became an issue come selling time as well.
    Not that I'm suggesting bnw123 will do it,but there are people that would add on some dosh and try and dupe a prospective private buyer.

There's a guy locally who's taken this practice to the N-th degree.
    He's got an Impreza that looks like a turbo and sounds like a turbo.
    It's just the cooking non-turbo version though.All show and no-go.He probably can't afford the insurance of a real one but,with the money he's spent making it look like something it isn't,he might have been able to get a real one after all !

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. It shouts 'Boy Racer!!' to me. If I went to buy a car and it was anything but standard i'd run a mile.
    I dont care how much has been spent on it...

Status

Fair comments above - I just wanted to add a bit more presence to the grill, that's all. It's so large and dominant across the front of the Sportback that there seems a lot of space going begging. Adding badges and the like to cars is nothing new.

And it's not about trying to trick a future potential buyer either. Without the huge wheels and interior finishes I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking it's an S-Line.

Anyway, if you search on eBay for S-Line badging, just watch how quickly the bids mount up - some of the S-Line regalia fetches silly money. I'm not alone in tracking them down, so expect to see them on many more cars to come!

6th Gear

Status

"Anyway, if you search on eBay for S-Line badging, just watch how quickly the bids mount up - some of the S-Line regalia fetches silly money"

Oh grrrreat...
    So we can look forward to our badges being stolen like some revival of the Beastie Boys VW badge thing of the 90's.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

[quoteOh grrrreat...So we can look forward to our badges being stolen like some revival of the Beastie Boys VW badge thing of the 90's.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just stay clear of Tillydrone and Tore then..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Status

The badge I bought, and all those I've seen on eBay, were brand new in the original Audi packaging - there's no reason to suggest loads of these badges will go missing.

Maffy, thanks for the write-up mate - it's starting to make more sense now. I think I'll just have to outside and sit in front of the thing until I can get the badge to fit! ahuntley has offered to send some pics so hopefully that'll make the job easier. Shame there's no fitting instructions supplied!

Reverse Gear

Status

Sorry for the delay but can't seem to find out how to post pictures here anymore, have put them here . . . Audi A3 Sportback images

Uber Post Whore

Status

Good close up pics Ahuntley, top notch. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry for the delay but can't seem to find out how to post pictures here anymore, have put them here . . . Audi A3 Sportback images

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mate that's fantastic - the third image shows the clip through the grill which is what I was looking for!

Thanks very much for this. Awesome spec as well - just love those wheels!

Lord of War

Status

Re: Fitting an S-Line grill badge to a 3dr

It would appear that you don't get a grill badge. Got my 3dr delivered yesterday and it doesn't have one either.

Neutral

Status

That's strange. I got one on my sportback, which was delivered last week.

Lord of War

Status

might be a country specific thing?...

Neutral

Status

When I asked my dealer about the front badges, apparently at the mo only the new A6 S-Line has a badge on the front grill, and is not fitted as standard to the A3's. Why ?
    Anyone fancy fitting me an S-Line badge on mine ?

1st Gear

Status

I put an S-Line badge on the fron tof mine, but wasn't sure were it should go as I have a Quattro there too. PLayed over a period of a few weeks with different positions, but ended up placing it above the Quattro (both on the left, fo a nice asymmetric look).

Neutral

Status

Any chance of a photo sometime to see what it looks like ?

Lord of War

Status

I'm guessing something like this?

If my dealer doesn't come up with the goods I'll get one myself I think.

Status

That picture is actually different to the one I have. The slats at the back are much narrower and there are two additional prongs (I suppose you'd call them) which also stick out from the back. Front logo looks the same though.

Neutral

Status

I got mine from www.vagparts.co.uk, only about 18 plus delivery......

Status

Guys, someone PM'd me a couple of weeks ago asking if they wanted to swap my S-Line badge with theirs as it didn't fit. If that was you, please PM straight away!

Thanks, and apologies to Eeef for confusing you with someone else!