Help with planning mods

Adamantium

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if some bright spark has collated a group of available or even must have mods for the A3.

As stated in a previous post I have a 3 door quattro sport and I am just dying to spend money on it - haven't even paid for or picked up the car yet!

Anyway,

Can someone provide a list of the kinds of things available and perhaps rate the difficulty out of 10? I have done plenty of what most would consider to be nasty mods in the past. I find I get more pleasure from retrofitting OE parts that the car doesn't come with. Am not so fussed about engine tuning, having been through a few 500bhp evos and subarus.

It seems that whatever happens, I'm going to need access to someone who can code. I live in North West London, so who would be my first port of call?

Is there a one stop shop for sourcing parts, or with an expert who can tell me what I should be looking for?

Can't tell you how exciting this is. I mentioned I have a GTR on the drive, which gives me a huge buzz when driving, but it's a very complete package as standard, which removes more than half the fun for a mod addict like me.

Thanks in advance.

2.0 tdi quattro sport - 05 plate - facelift.

pics will follow in a couple of mins when I nab some off my phone!

Hello fella and welcome to the forum mate. I live in north London, Enfield. Your always more than welcome to give me a shout mate if you needing coding. As for mods, Cruise control is a must (which I can supply and fit original parts for a good price :). ) RNS-e, MY09 rear lights, LED sidelights, the list goes on mate. Anyhow if you need me for coding your more than welcome to come over, beer tokens is always a plus on this forum. :arco:

Happy to help with beer tokens! I am in Mill Hill, so not too far from you.

I think first port of call for me, aside from probably full leather interior, wil be the RNS-e.

Is there a guide to fitting this anywhere?

I did something similar on the mercedes slk, but that was double din already. This looks a little more involved.

Can I pay someone to do this for me? alternatively, would happily do it myself if someone points me in the direction

Can someone explain the differences between the models, any fitment/wiring issues?

I'd like ipod control and possibly bluetooth audio etc. is this possible? what about video file playback?

thanks again.

ps. danny, how can i pm you?

Just click on my user name and send private message. I could do a double din conversion for you. Done one for a fellow member not to long ago. Maybe I could do you a fixed price for cruise and din conversion?

RNS-E mk2 ordered yesterday from Lithuania - arrived today.

Awesome service - very impressed.

I've bought 4 mercedes unis from them in the past and they've even fixed one under warranty so I had no quarms about using them.

Now just need to get the double din parts.

Decided to order them and fit them myself.

So progress so far:

Not really mods so far so much as repairs

New abs sensor to remove dash light
New haldex controller to remove same dash light that was still on after the above
New rear offisde shock absorber

and on to the mods....

Double din conversion with 2009 style buttons, parts courtesy of Nigel
2011 RNSE Sat Nav
2009 rear lights
S3 Two tone black and grey leather interior with heated front and rear seats - wiring courtesy of Kufatec - not fully fitted.
S-Line MFSW
Cruise Control
Hi line steering wheel module to suit above
OEM audi RS4 18" split 7 spoke wheels
K version CE module
S line Pedals

also bought Elsawin, Etka and VLCD.

Not bad going for three weeks of planning and two weeks of ownership I thought! Am loving every minute though!

Think that's it for now, but am contemplating

S-Line Gearshift surround
Bi-Xenons
Bluetooth
White DIS
S Line Bumpers
Spoiler

After (or before that) Turbo dynamics hybrid turbo, then it's a question of asking you guys who to use for mapping purposes.

Am wondering if there's any point buying a milltek exhaust on a diesel. I can't imagine diesels sound good with sports exhausts, and am not sure the performance difference will justify otherwise. Then there's the fact that there's a perfectly capable other car sitting around for performance needs!

worth just decatting the downpipe if you have a hybrid turbo - it helps reduce lag/improve spool and makes it just a touch louder -anything else is probably a waste of money, although i had a full decat custom turbo-back made with extra silencing for my hybrid to complete the stealth appearance

After (or before that) Turbo dynamics hybrid turbo, then it's a question of asking you guys who to use for mapping purposes.Am wondering if there's any point buying a milltek exhaust on a diesel. I can't imagine diesels sound good with sports exhausts, and am not sure the performance difference will justify otherwise. Then there's the fact that there's a perfectly capable other car sitting around for performance needs!
This is just my 5p's worth on the hybrid.....check to see what gains you're going to get before buying,and also speak to the guys at Revo for some good free advice.

i say you save the moneys for the GTR :)

Heres what i would recommend LOL
Amuse R1 Titanium System
Greddy Intake Pipe System
Aragosta Coilovers

That would be a good start

hi adamantium, i've got a quick question if you dont mind me asking.

is the RNS-e from lithuania any good? i assumed they would be reproductions and not genuine Audi parts, and i assumed also that they would be pretty shoddy reproductions at that.

how do they compare to say units bought directly from NHN or Audi themselves?

regards,

Plezz.

Not bought a unit from nun or Audi but I have bought about 10 units over the years from my contact in liuania, mostly for mercedes. Not sure what you mean by reproductions, this unit is identical in every way to what you get from the factory.

hi adamantium, i've got a quick question if you dont mind me asking.

is the RNS-e from lithuania any good? i assumed they would be reproductions and not genuine Audi parts, and i assumed also that they would be pretty shoddy reproductions at that.

how do they compare to say units bought directly from NHN or Audi themselves?

regards,

Plezz.

I know this isnt my thread, but my RNS-E came from Lithuania, or Romania, cant remember which now but it is a genuine Audi product, not a replica in any way. Never had a problem with it either.

Mmmm GTR....

Bought S3 front bumper - need to buy fogs!!
2009 rear bumper
Bi-Xenons
K CE module
Cruise
MFSW

fitting most of leather today if possible.

also bought some performance parts which should be fun and will be visiting AMD at some point.

Great start. Post some pics with your A3 and keep the mods coming

By the way Romania makes parts for Audi like steering wheels, airbags, seat belts and many more. Also for many other brands.
They are not replicas they are exactly oem products. In Lithuania they make also rns-e units and other electronic parts

After the S3 bumper you need the S3 skirts , then s3 rear bumper etc
You can find usefull things here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...p-most-frequently-asked-questions-faqs-2.html

Best regards

thanks all. i heard from someone that romanian sellers units were not always genuine and you had to be careful.

plus the prices were a bit too good.

might have to look at investing!

I think the worry is more that the units might be stolen, rather than knock-offs.

Stolen not from cars,maybe from factories from production band.
I have also bought items from Ingolstadt as well from sellers that work for Audi.
Romania doesn't have ebay and any transaction should be proceded carefully. Also if you use pay pal don't do with gift transaction.

Thanks for the advice guys. The guy I bought mine from has been on ebay for years with thousdands of feedback. He basically is set up to be the main buyer of units from all the breakers yards in Europe and caters for all makes. If he was dodgy I'd think it would be fairly easy for the police to find him as he's very open about his name address and bank details, and only trades in nav units.

and in relation to that very point, it would seem that he has unwittingly supplied me with an SDS unit - woo hoo. So, with nigel's help, that will be going on too.

Nigel is going to have his work cut out - I'd love to help, but I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this lot!
Fit xenons
Fit and code CE module
Extend illumination supply from ash tray to card holder
Fit rear seats and front and rear door cards
Fit wiring for heated seats
Fit auto sensors and rear view mirror plus auto light switch
Fit centre armrest
Fit washer jets to new front bumper
Fit rear spoiler
Fit new pedals
Fit Bluetooth module
Wire and Code for SDS

It's going to take a while I suspect!

So far Nigel has managed this lot:

Extend illumination supply from ash tray to card holder - Done
Fit new pedals - Done
Fit Bluetooth module - Done

Wire and Code for SDS - Done
Fit centre armrest - Done
Fit rear spoiler - Done

Also fitted S3 front bumper and standard rear bumper - waiting for Nigel to supply S-line rear valance
Fitted new windscreen with auto sensor for mirror and wipers
Fitted RS4 style OE 18" wheels and new dunlop wintersport 4d tyres - looking forward to seeing how good they are!

Tomorrow Nigel is over again for the day, although we are both doubtful we'll get everything remaining done:

Fit xenons

Fit washer jets to new front bumper
Fit and code CE module

Fit rear seats and front and rear door cards
Fit wiring for front and rear heated seats
Wire in auto sensors and rear view mirror plus auto light switch

Very excited about tomorrow.

with bumper grilles, fog lights and rear valance missing it looks a sorry state.

Then add in that it only has leather front seats, it's not something I currently want to show off - but soon!

great job so far.
ttrs steering wheel would be nice....:undwech:

OK,

Well replacement turbo is now on, and I am still considering having it remapped - I think on the whole I won't as this is not my performance car, so why bother - it will only end up costing me money.

What I have done is have the great Nigel fit the seats and the xenons.

Bi-Xenons are totally cool and I can't believe I survived without them. The washer jets are in but not yet wired, and the auto sensing window is still not wired.

What has been great is that Nigel managed to get time to fit the entire interior which I love. it is two tone black and grey and along with the pedals and the steering wheel, makes the car feel brand new.

Only thing lacking was the gearknob and handbrake. With those replaced the car would feel brand new since everything in the car that i would interact with would be new (indicators not included!).

so I bought this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Which has the added benefit of grey stitching to match my two tone effect.

It also replaces the only remaining bit of piano black trim in the car with brushed ally to match the s-line interior portions.

All I need now is to get the heated seats wired (by Nigel) and the last few remaining bits of wiring to be sorted.

I noticed when fitting the wheels too that it was riding on stilts, and while it's not really me to lower a car, I decided to fit 35mm drop H and R springs.

I'll post pics of everything in place when it is clean with before and after shots.

Just need to sort the exhaust pipe trims out.

Must pay a big thanks to Nigel (NHN) for the huge amount of work he has done on my car, and to Danny KN9 for the very first mod done on my car - fitting the cruise control and the new steering wheel.

In advance of putting some more pics up, I wanted to make sure this thread was up to date with pictures from my other thread.

To bring you up to speed, Nigel (NHN) has now fitted a white DIS for me and had the mileage suitably altered!

In addition I now have the correct rear 8P2 S3 bumper complete with audi reverse parking sensors and Nigel has fitted me an AMI.

In response to suggestions from others, I have had the S3 side skirts fitted at the same time, and got my summer wheels and tyres back on. I like the RS6 wheels, so got the wider ones with the wider offset from an A4, shod with new goodyear F1 assymetric 2s for my summer tyres.

My biggest complaint about this car has always been the brakes, so I elected to go for some 345mm discs and appropriate calipers from what should have been an S3. I ended up with some from a golf R that happened to be almost new. The difference is incredible and it's possibly the best mod I've done to date.

At the moment I am keen to get Nigel to install a media adapter to give me a three phono input, as I will be buying a Kivic one (not out yet). If you've not seen it - google it. Very cool if you like your IOS devices!

Pics to follow as soon as I upload them.

How much were the Golf R discs and pads? Did you have to replace anything else apart from the discs pads and calipers?

they came with carriers, I needed new lines too which were a nightmare as europarts could identify the proper ones, I lost the car for twi days waiting for the right ones that were threaded at both ends.

I paid £330 for them, but they are literally brand new.