MULTIFUCTION STEERING WHEEL UPGRADE?

H17E5H

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and need a quick question answered from the guys that know how..

I've purchased a 3 spoke MFSW (Vol & phone control etc) and would like to upgrade my existing 3 spoke steering wheel which doesn't have Multifunction. Just wondering is it a simple straight swap or would i need additional wiring for the Multifunction buttons to work or any coding to be carried out?

You will need to find out if you have the correct controller fitted that supports the MFSW. This can be done quickly with VCDS (it'll tell you the part number of the SCCM). If you have the correct module, then its a straight swap then a 5 minute VCDS recoding session. If your module doesn't support MFSW, then you must buy one that does, this then has to be coded in, then your wheel fitted and coded in. If you PM NHN (Nige) on here, he'll be able to do the job for you if you don't feel comfortable tackling it yourself.

I think the part number of the High Line controller (which will support MFSW, Cruise Control and DIS), is; 8P0 953 549 F. There may be other modules that will work with your car but Nige (NHN) will keep you right.

Last edited:
If you have a highline DIS and DSG paddles, you should be ok.

Ben @ Shark Performance fitted my MFSW and cruise control.

Nice guy and great service at an excellent price!

Thanks for your comments.

I have cruise control and DIS (which I'm assuming is the red driver information bit in the centre of the instrument cluster which gives info such as range, MPG etc) fitted as standard.

Forgot to add it's a A3 2006 '55' 2.0TDI if that's helps with anything.

Thanks for your comments.

I have cruise control and DIS (which I'm assuming is the red driver information bit in the centre of the instrument cluster which gives info such as range, MPG etc) fitted as standard.

Forgot to add it's a A3 2006 '55' 2.0TDI if that's helps with anything.

Is your car manual? If so, you will prob still need to upgrade the ecu to one that accepts functions from the steering wheel.

If you've got cruise and DIS already, then it'll go straight on and code up. Easy job

If you've got cruise and DIS already, then it'll go straight on and code up. Easy job

Gary, not sure that's quite right mate !

I didn't have either cruise or mfsw on my car but I did have the 'highline' DIS. When I fitted cruise all I needed was the new stalk and surround and it worked fine. However, when I fitted mfsw the steering ecu that supported cc did not support mfsw. CC only requires a 'midline' ecu whereas mfsw requires 'highline'.

This Ross-tech list, although quoting VW part numbers gives you the idea ! :- Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

I've checked the software version via VCDS and this is what ive got:

Address 16: Steering Wheel
Part No SW: 8P0 953 549 E HW: 8P0 953 549 E
Coding: 0000042

The part no for the MFSW is 4F0 419 091T 8UD. MFSW has volume control, phone control and paddle shifts.

Does my vehicle support this or would i have to buy additional hardware?

A3 8P 2006 '55' 2.0 TDI 140 6speed Manual.

Paddle shifts ? Don't remember you saying it was a DSG !

If you already have paddle shifts then you should be ok.

If it's manual then you need steering control unit revision F. You also need a new airbag wiring harness unless it came with the wheel.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that your existing airbag will fit the new wheel - they are not all the same. If you are unlucky then I have a mfsw without paddles for sale.

Last edited:
Paddle shifts ? Don't remember you saying it was a DSG !

If you already have paddle shifts then you should be ok.

Mike, I think he's saying the wheel he's bought has paddles, check his sig, manual 6sp.

You have the midline ecu module which is "midline" therefore will not support MFSW. You need to get an "F" module. Also you will definatley have to get a new airbag harness wire that supports MFSW controls. At the moment you just have a single harness lead for the airbag, the new harness is a split lead which plugs into the airbag, and into the steering wheel to allow use of buttons.
After gathering the right modules and harness and fitting you then have the simple job of coding. :)

Thought it wouldn't have been as simple as plug and code. ****** Audi..

I appreciate everyones input and all the help, Thank You.

I have cruise but a four spoke wheel can I upgrade to a 3 spoke multi function