Black Edition wheel refurb?

bradyboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently got an 11 plate A3 black edition & one of my wheels needs refurbing? anyone had any experience of geting these done as I understand there polished round the edges? I'm in essex by the way so if you no any places you would recommend local that would be briliant.

Also my car suspensions seems to be a realy harsh ride and knocks pretty loud if I hit a hard bump?just wondered if anyone found this with there A3?

cheers

Brad

My S line A3 albeit older 56 plate has a fairly harsh ride when going over bumps e.t.c., I am told its the stiffer suspension that comes with the S line cars.

My sport creeks over bumps, had it checked ive been told its because its a stiffer spring. But I would emadgin the sline are worse. Pick my new sine up in a couple of weeks so ill let you know

The wheels are diamond cut around the outside which means the damage needs to be welded, repolished and lacquered. It's quite expensive and not everywhere does it. I was quoted £135 +vat per wheel, but you should be able to get it done cheaper than that.

Mine knocks too on a badly surfaced road.

My wheels are black edition 2011 and not diamond cut :) I tried to photograph them before and the machined surface is dead smooth

Wheel1.jpg

Wheel-2.jpg

Last edited:
My wheels are black edition 2011 and not diamond cut :) I tried to photograph them before and the machined surface is dead smooth

What are they then? I thought it was the matt lacquer made them not as shiny as others I've had?

Diamond cut is where they use a sharp tool on a coarse feed to turn the alloy giving a grooved finish much like a old record, this tends to reflect the light well off the angles of the cut giving a different reflected light from different angles.. My wheels are dead smooth and i am not sure if they are painted of just lacquered. the finish i dead smooth almost glass like. If they are lacquered then its a very dark alloy, maybe a tint in the lacquer ?

This is what i call diamond cut, note the CD type light reflection..

image017.jpg

Last edited:
You are right they don't have that type of reflection, but I looked at mine again and you can see the old record type pattern (quite faint) in the metal.
IMO it's a diamond cut or machined type finish, on mine at least anyway.

Its defo machined but the whole point is if it was diamond cut like the one above then to refurb would be a lot more difficult because the weld area would stick out when machined. As it is then that grey mat lauquer will hid any metal difference and should be easier. mine show no signs of turning as you can see by the close up pics .

I have a damaged one (very minor) and wondered if there was a touch up colour that would disguise the scratch. Currently we have a small white patch showing through.

I have a damaged one (very minor) and wondered if there was a touch up colour that would disguise the scratch. Currently we have a small white patch showing through.

Which bit, the shiny edge the best thing to use is some lacquer or nail varnish to stop the water and corrosion getting under the rest of the paint.
The inner grey bit is code "L 8AU".

No it's a paint code, Audi in etka quote "8AU" beside the black edition wheel and if you search in paints4u.com it brings up "L 8AU"

Cheers for the advice guys, Mines only a very small scuff but i may touch up with abit of lacquer to protect it :)

As for the suspension I was guessing this was the case, I know sports models have harsh suspension but i think audi took it to the extreme with the s line! & im sure the heavy diesel lump in the front doesnt help!!

Hi - In this boat also. Damage is to edge of wheel only, most of the way round. (None of the titanium finish area is damaged). Company called Prestige Wheels (North West England) can refurb for £108 inc VAT (per wheel).

However, as they are Diamond Cut, car/wheel needs to be with them for 4 Days.

Contact at: info@prestigewheels.co.u

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gino