AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

RNS-E theft prevention measures, suggestions?

As I'm sure you're all aware theft of the RNS-E units from our cars is becoming rife. Audi seem to have little interest in this as the unit will be phased out when the new A3 arrives.

If anybody has heard of any theft prevention measures for the unit then I think it'd be a good idea to share them with others.

I personally feel that having the metal case of your unit engraved with "Stolen from [car reg]" would make the units harder to sell of on ebay etc and if enough owners did this then the units may become less attractive to criminals. However, this would rely on the majority of units being marked and ASN members make up only a tiny proportion of 8P owners. I emailed Audi to suggest they contact owners of RNS-E equipped cars to offer an engraving service in view of how common these thefts have become but I am yet to receive a reply (don't worry, I'm not holding my breath...).

If you have any genuinely useful bright ideas then please share them. Lets try not to have a list of crazy ideas please, believe me - I've toyed with the prospect of 1/2lb of semtex wired to a pressure release switch behind the head unit but it's becoming less easy to get hold of that stuff nowadays.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    There's nothing you can do really.......

Engraving wont stop anything, after they rip your car to bits you think a little engraving will make them stop??? Also engraving can be stickered over or ground off etc.

Many years ago when flip out in car dvd/nav/tv where £1000 a pop (pioneer) i had one but it didnt have a removable face........

So i just had a used T-Shirt in the car and when i got out i kind of threw it over it to hide it. If they cant see it for sure its not worth the risk. Also this must have worked because my pal had his stolen about 8 doors away within a week of fitting!!!!!

All you can do is touch wood..........
    Audi A4 B6, Dolphin Grey, Full Votex Kit, 19" RS6 Alloys, Lowered 20mm, RS 3" Twin Exhausts, Chrome Mirror covers, Carbon Wrapped Grill, Cupra R Splitter, Wolfsburg Number Plate Surrounds, RNS-D Sat Nav, Full Colour D.I.S, Black Leather..........

5th Gear

Status
    Just wire your car up to the mains every night
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Neutral

Status
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2006 A3 2.0 TDI - S-Line - Phantom black