Where is Coolant Temperature Sensor? Help please!

Pom

Reaction score
Could someone tell me where is the Coolant Temperature Sensor on A3 2.0 FSI please? a Photo would be ideal!

Has anyone replace it recently? Do I need to disconnect anything else to get to it?

Thank you in advance.

Here I have attached some photos. Does it appear in any of these?

Photo1
3.jpeg

Photo2
2.jpeg

Photo3
1.jpeg

Photo4
4.jpeg

I need to know the same thing! cant see your pics for some reason mate

The coolant temperature sensor is located inside the coolant tank located to the left hand side of the engine. It has two small thin rods inside the tank. If you are having a coolant level warning on your dash but find your water is topped up, then it may be a case that the rods have built up rust and gone faulty. Cheap and easy repair, the coolant bottle does not come apart so its hard to get the rods so best bet is buy a whole new replacement from audi for about £20 and somemore coolant antifreeze water about £8. Three hoses to disconnect, but be careful not to spill the old water and also the coolant temperature connector to come off.
Had to do this on mine a couple of months back.
Audi wanted to charge about £200 to read fault codes, new bottle and labour, absolute joke!!

The coolant temperature sensor is located inside the coolant tank located to the left hand side of the engine. It has two small thin rods inside the tank. If you are having a coolant level warning on your dash but find your water is topped up, then it may be a case that the rods have built up rust and gone faulty. Cheap and easy repair, the coolant bottle does not come apart so its hard to get the rods so best bet is buy a whole new replacement from audi for about £20 and somemore coolant antifreeze water about £8. Three hoses to disconnect, but be careful not to spill the old water and also the coolant temperature connector to come off.
Had to do this on mine a couple of months back.
Audi wanted to charge about £200 to read fault codes, new bottle and labour, absolute joke!!

Danny - that's not the temperature sensor, that's the coolant level sensor ! Sorry mate !

As far as I know there are two coolant temperature sensors, one on the engine block near the a/c compressor and the other one on the radiator.

However, I have not replaced either so no doubt someone else will be along to help soon !

Edit : just realised the car is an FSI and I was talking about a TDI ! Don't know where they are on the FSI but it's not in the coolant bottle !

Last edited:
Danny - that's not the temperature sensor, that's the coolant level sensor ! Sorry mate !

As far as I know there are two coolant temperature sensors, one on the engine block near the a/c compressor and the other one on the radiator.

However, I have not replaced either so no doubt someone else will be along to help soon !

Edit : just realised the car is an FSI and I was talking about a TDI ! Don't know where they are on the FSI but it's not in the coolant bottle !

HAHAHA My bad, silly me :think:

Here are the photos again. Sorry the first time doesn't seems to work.

Please let me know if you can spot the Coolant temperature sensor in any of these. Thanks.
Photo1
1.jpeg

Photo2
2.jpeg

Photo 3
3.jpeg

Photo 4
4.jpeg