Hids again!

Winy

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have just bought a 2006 a3 sline 2.0tdi.

Wanted to upgrade the headlights. I've done all interior lights to led. Looks awesome by the way! Now it's the headlights! I've done led side lights they fine. I've not got the cash for full xenon oem light replacement at the moment. So I wad just going to HID it. Now I see that there is this worry it puts out the wiper motor. But it's unclear on other forums of whether there is actually a solution to this problem. Does anyone have one?

-I have resistors and canbus for he kit. Is this enough?
-Does this issue affect all a3s or is it just certain year?
- any other good ideas for me that are not oem!

Also anyone know where I can get some headlights with angel eyes?

Hi all!

I have just bought a 2006 a3 sline 2.0tdi.

Wanted to upgrade the headlights. I've done all interior lights to led. Looks awesome by the way! Now it's the headlights! I've done led side lights they fine. I've not got the cash for full xenon oem light replacement at the moment. So I wad just going to HID it. Now I see that there is this worry it puts out the wiper motor. But it's unclear on other forums of whether there is actually a solution to this problem. Does anyone have one?

-I have resistors and canbus for he kit. Is this enough?
-Does this issue affect all a3s or is it just certain year?
- any other good ideas for me that are not oem!

I don't know he answer to your first question, but you have bought an audi. Angel eyes wer only cool on BMW's. I just associate them with Barry boys and corsa's now. Just my opinion. :) someone will be along to answer your proper question fella.

any other good ideas for me that are not oem!

Nope, everyone I know who has tried has had an issue, dont waste your time or money, cause its gonna be a mot failure aswell soon.

Angel eyes on an A3, IMHO, fugly.

Last edited:
I don't know he answer to your first question, but you have bought an audi. Angel eyes wer only cool on BMW's. I just associate them with Barry boys and corsa's now. Just my opinion. :) someone will be along to answer your proper question fella.

Whats a Barry boy?:think:

Although I do agree with NHN regarding the HID's, there's a member on here who claims to sell 100% error free kits.

Quote from andi1 - This particular kit i run myself in 58 reg without an issue with the wiper motor etc its been designed around this problem something which the 1 series also suffers from.

They would still be an MOT failure though, soon.

its not errors that you need to worry about, its having to buy a new wiper motor each time they get blown by the aftermarket hids.

the wiper controller is buried in the wiper motor casing, and they get blown for some reason with aftermarket kits - i presume its related to the high frequency inducing currents where they shouldnt be, as the hid kids draw less power than the normal bulbs

i didnt believe it either, but i had a wiper motor replaced under warranty and had to buy the second one myself after it blew again

I think it's to do with the lights and wiper motor using the same earth connection. Some say that if you take the earth directly back to the battery the issue goes away !

However, the much bigger problem is in 2012 HID's will become part of the MOT test and if you don't have self-levelling sensors and headlight washers it will fail the MOT. New bumper et. etc. will increase the cost enormously.

Yup, looks like 1st Jan, some items thats used to be advisories will remain so for a 3 month period & after that they will become a failure. As regards to HIDs, once it becomes a testable item im sure the police will be a bit more vigilant. Do you really want to be driving home one night with your better half only to be pulled over and have a prohibition notice slapped on it causing you to either get a taxi or walk?

It was only a matter of time...

Bad news for those with aftermarket kits, good news for those who get dazzled by oncoming vehicles with a poor beam alignment.

To be honest, there are some half decent halogen bulbs available these days anyway.

Khufu's PDF link didn't mention uprated halogen lights :idea: