A3 AUDI QUATTRO

mike s

Reaction score
My story starts almost 12 months ago when I purchased an Audi A3 dieseal quattro from an independent dealer. The car a 2007 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Quattro with full Audi service history and 62,000 miles on the clock.

My problem arose when I got the car on my four post ramp and looking at the underside noticed a considerable amount of rust. My first port of call was my local Audi dealer in Stoke who inspected my car, then told me that the vehicle was not covered for the rust as it had been involved in an accident at some time. With this I put the car back on my ramp and did a thorough inspection, (being in the body/mechanic trade for over 30 years, I knew what to look for). Armed with this I rang Audi Stoke and they said bring the car back for another inspection. This time they confirmed that the vehicle had not been involved in any accident and they had made a mistake.

Photos were taken and sent off to Audi UK, who I believe also involved Audi Germany. The result after many phone calls and letters was that due to outside influences affecting the underside they could do nothing.

I next tried to find some history on the car. My findings were that it had been a one owner lease vehicle, by a professional Banker and that as far as the leasing company knew it had only been driven around tha Aberdeen area on mainly A-B roads and motorways so nothing unusual there. The service history seemed to back this up.

Back to Audi and a letter to Jeremy Hicks director ofAudi Uk, who said If I had an independent report on the vehicle he would review the matter.

This I had done by DEKRA (Part of the AA) at a cost of £199. When the DEKRA inspector saw the underside he was very surprised at the amount of serious rust to say the least. DEKRA gave me a full report of their findings which I sent to Jeremy Hicks.

More weeks passed and I was told to take my car to an Audi approved body shop in Crewe, Cheshire. There inspection confirmed excessive rusting on the underside areas ie rear chassis sections and boot floor area.

About 2-3 weeks later I received a phone call telling me that as the rusting was so excessive they would be prepared to repair the vehicle by cutting out the two rear chassis sections and the complete boot floor where the spare wheel goes etc and wield in new metal. After some thought I decided not to go ahead with the repair, knowing that the resale value after such extensive work may be affected, but mainly the safety aspect of having the main structure cut away and rewielded it would become a cut and shut job.

I expressed my concerns with Audi who said that I have two weeks to take up their offer or nothing else would be done. I argued the case that the car should be replaced like for like with Audi UK and Audi Germany, but although they said it shouldn't have rusted in this way, there was nothing else they were prepared to do.

I have owned Audi's for the past 16 years thinking them a quality marque and with fully galvanized bodies and hot waxed dipped, rust is the last thing you think of, especially on a 3 1/2 year old car that has full Audi service history and no accident damage. The only conclusion I have asatained is that the vehicle has spent most of its 3 years up and around Aberdeen which is affected by salty air. So my conclusion is if you buy an Audi and live near the coast (of which there is some 5,000 miles of coastline around the UK), your Audi can rust away and nothing can be done by Audi.

Good read. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

So have you decided to keep it od sell up?

I can only imagine how you feel, I would have pulled my hair out...

i wouldnt have thoguht salty air would do that bud i live in a seaside town and have had my a3 for 4 years not a spot anywhere on the whole car take the case to trading standards if you have to its not right the way they are just saying they wont do alot

i am so supprised audi arnt getting in to the real world with companys like vauxaul now doing liftime warrenty. audi really need to start looking after their customers. bmw are the same .

Vauxhall do it because they need the custom, Audi don't because BMW or Merc don't... Why would you offer something that you don't need to as a business...

As with the OP rust issue, I don't buy being by the sea to cause underside rust. Has the car got a towbar and used for launching a jetski or small boat ??

So my conclusion is if you buy an Audi and live near the coast (of which there is some 5,000 miles of coastline around the UK), your Audi can rust away and nothing can be done by Audi.

Absolute ballshiviks imho, audi can do something, backup there rust warranties, its becoming more & more a joke as the days go by hearing what audi say in responce to claims, if I was you, I'd contact trading standards & see if you have any angles via the law, although audi have offered a solution, which if I'm honest why not consider mate as at least that way the rust bits will be sorted & can sell on without the issues as such.

Butttt, totally see why you're ****** about it, more & more we start to reconsider being audi owners given there attitude to there customers rightful claims.

it had only been driven around tha Aberdeen area on mainly A-B roads and motorways so nothing unusual there.

Theres your problem! No kidding theres salt on the roads about 9 months of the year.
I know as I work out of Aberdeen.
My old 8L S3 was the same, been in Aberdeen all its life and was rotten underneath!
Brake pipes/back plates the lot needing changed with only 65k on the clock.

To answer some questions posted The car as never been fitted with a tow bar and i did contact trading standards and they say my issue is with the independent dealer who sold me the car ,not Audi ,but as the rust is not yet structualy unsafe nothing can be done

Hi does any one know if i can put the photos of the underside of my rusty Audi on this site only a bit new to this forum lark thanks Mike s

Hi does any one know if i can put the photos of the underside of my rusty Audi on this site only a bit new to this forum lark thanks Mike s
im sure you can.

6178505509_6edca9db99_m.jpg
6178513811_a0a5517995_m.jpg
6179000270_69fb2de03a_m.jpg
Further to my original post A3 quattro 3weeks ago Ive attached some images of the rusty underside
6178464641_d3cd81d25a_m.jpg
6178994534_a0cceab504_m.jpg

thats very very bad..........sell it! not a spec under my car.

Thats shocking for a 07 plate car wherever it might have been driven/kept

Having lived in Aberdeen all my life and having bought a load of cars I've notice that the cars from further north around the Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Buckie and Banff area's tend to be bad.

I've looked at a lot of cars from that way and found what you seem to have on the Audi but still doesn't excuse there reaction to the story.

I've not seen it too much in cars from Aberdeen but the area tends to get flooded with cars from England as they tend to get a better price for cars up here.

Audi quote fully galvanized and hot waxed dipped ??? then why is the exhaust in good condition when it is subjected to the same conditions as the rest of the car ? because it is proper galvanized not just some kind of electro plating which is proberbaly not much better than galvanized paint.