do I need to run in a new turbo?

yes you do i was always told to run a new one in and let it warm up before booting it but that was a petrol car same should be on a tdi i would have thought mate

I think he means does he have to do a certain number of miles taking it easy with a new turbo like you would with a new car. IE not thrashing it for the first thousand miles.

Just drive steadily, not aggressively for a while. That'll be enough to ease it into its new role. Have you fitted it yet? Or are you about to? If you haven't, then make sure you 'prime' the turbo with new oil before you fit it.

Its good practice to let any turbo warm up and cool down old or new....not sure about a running in procedure on a turbo, its only pre oiled bearings? as said above its vital to pre oil the turbo on fitting...

There is no way to "run in " a turbo as there is no surface to surface contact of metal parts.

Agreed with devonmikeyboy, no need at all to "run in" a turbo. It is however good practice to warm it up and cool it down.

My dad had three turbos fitted under warranty on his BMW M-Sport 5 Series and was told exactly the same. (Thankfully hes got rid of it and got a AMG 2.2 twin turbo Mercedes E Class now :eyebrows:, I felt shamefull driving the BMW :rulez:)