Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 229
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is the 8P s3 worth the money?

  1. #41
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Paddy and Ewan killed it


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    quattro81's Avatar
    All the gear.. No idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    As above seen a few in the flesh and while the exterior is great, the interior looks like an old escort? any thoughts, peeps
    Correct me if I'm wrong here fella, but doesn't your signature read that you have the gear knob from an 8p "old escort" as you put it?
    Red is the colour..

  4. #43
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    As above seen a few in the flesh and while the exterior is great, the interior looks like an old escort? any thoughts, peeps
    You should have went to spec savers mate .8L interior is dated and dare i say lacking.

    S3 is stylish and crisp .with everything you need.

  5. #44
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Your not wrong mate i just read his sig and he has spent a fortune on that old banger and it puts out about the same bhp as mine when its running on cooking oil
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  6. #45
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    I'm sure he's just having some Friday fun :-)
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  7. #46
    GNJ_Motorsport's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lancashire, England
    Posts
    620
    Not all S3 8P's came with the flat bottom wheel. I know as mine hasn't got one which upsets me greatly. I still think the interior is good though. I have the Recaros which makes up for the lack of the flat bottom wheel a bit. Will be getting one in mine, should finish it off nicely.


    Shark Performance Lancashire Dealer

  8. #47
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    So would you say they are worth the money then Daveyb, even considering the interior?
    Depends what your aspiring to mate, I expect moving on from an 8L to an 8P will be like stepping out of Halfrauds and into a Bang & Olufsen showroom
    N8 and Rhymesaka like this.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  9. #48
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Blackburn
    Posts
    91
    Someone's very bored!

  10. #49
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I remember the 8L…you needed a black and white licence to own one….CoCo the clown had one, toot the horn and all the doors fell off
    Did you ever own one?

  11. #50
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro 1981 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here fella, but doesn't your signature read that you have the gear knob from an 8p "old escort" as you put it?
    Yeah thats correct a right bit of bling that i grant you sir....

  12. #51
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingy. View Post
    You should have went to spec savers mate .8L interior is dated and dare i say lacking.

    S3 is stylish and crisp .with everything you need.
    T,T,T No need for snobery, the 8l as in the 8p in standard form is indeed "lacking",
    I would certainlt not say mines lacking now....

  13. #52
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Depends what your aspiring to mate, I expect moving on from an 8L to an 8P will be like stepping out of Halfrauds and into a Bang & Olufsen showroom
    I really hope you are joking.......

  14. #53
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    LOL the old S3 8L seats were coloured were they not .like a rainbow?Lacking style for sure hahaa

  15. #54
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingy. View Post
    LOL the old S3 8L seats were coloured were they not .like a rainbow?Lacking style for sure hahaa
    You mean the alacantra options? most were full electric heated black leather recaros, are yours electric..

  16. #55
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    Yes electrically heated :P

  17. #56
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Your not wrong mate i just read his sig and he has spent a fortune on that old banger and it puts out about the same bhp as mine when its running on cooking oil
    Yeah so watch out...the banger will be handing your ass on the roads...

  18. #57
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I really hope you are joking.......
    Haha I should never have mentioned Halfrauds, I have no idea what an 8L interior looks like i'm only 27
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  19. #58
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingy. View Post
    Yes electrically heated :P
    Cool and i thought they run on gas...

  20. #59
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by GNJ_Motorsport View Post
    Not all S3 8P's came with the flat bottom wheel. I know as mine hasn't got one which upsets me greatly. I still think the interior is good though. I have the Recaros which makes up for the lack of the flat bottom wheel a bit. Will be getting one in mine, should finish it off nicely.
    What year is yours? I'm sure they only became standard on the late 8P2s. They are now standard on all 8P3s
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  21. #60
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Haha I should never have mentioned Halfrauds, I have no idea what an 8L interior looks like i'm only 27
    Yet what about your older 1991 merc?

  22. #61
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Dont put yourself down jungleman have you raced him? he might have the fastest car but has he got the balls...
    Most amusing Dave.

    I honestly have no idea if mine is the fastest or not,and frankly it doesn't really bother me.

    I certainly wouldn't go racing on the roads,and rarely if ever get time to get anywhere near a track,but anytime you're near,you're welcome to have a ride,and judge for yourself if I (a) have the balls, and (b) if the car is fast enough or not.

    S3-Dan's should be quicker,if you're interested in p****ing contests,and my profile page should lead you to a few pictures of the GpN Escort that was my daily drive for a few years..
    Quaife diffs all round,
    Close ratio straight cut gearbox
    Rose jointed suspension
    AP brakes
    Full GpN engine with ALS
    and a reliable sub 4s to 60 on any surface....if you have the balls to drive that you're more than welcome.

  23. #62
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I certainly wouldn't go racing on the roads,and rarely if ever get time to get anywhere near a track,but anytime you're near,you're welcome to have a ride,and judge for yourself if I (a) have the balls, and (b) if the car is fast enough or not.

  24. #63
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Anyway guys, its been a bit of fun, i better stop before people start getting upset, end of the day we are all Audi lovers, its been emotional, have a great bank holiday weekend........

  25. #64
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Yet what about your older 1991 merc?
    Very true! Certainly don't build them like that anymore, it's a beauty though - a relic even. 20k original miles.
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  26. #65
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Very true! Certainly don't build them like that anymore, it's a beauty though - a relic even. 20k original miles.
    They certainly are is that the pillarless coupe?

  27. #66
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    yes jungle man you should ask him
    Paolo's already had a run in mine,so he has first hand experience.

  28. #67
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Thats the one, I'm fairly confident it's the lowest mileage (300 at least) in the UK, maybe further. I should maybe get some pics taken for the detailing section, after spending the best part of a decade in a garage I feel it needs to be seen, and the MBenz club seem like a bunch of wetters
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  29. #68
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Anyway guys, its been a bit of fun, i better stop before people start getting upset, end of the day we are all Audi lovers, its been emotional, have a great bank holiday weekend........
    Upset?.....not me.

    I just don't see the point of all the "my car's faster than yours" crap as there is always something quicker around the corner somewhere,and you simply end up pursuing the unobtainable, or the frankly pointless.

    Enjoy the car as opposed to always measuring it up against someone else's.

    Racing is for the track.....I know as I spend a lot of my time clearing up the carnage from those who try it on the road.

  30. #69
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    I wasnt aimed at you Alex, I clicked i like your first post if you look, because i agree, i was messing thats all..

  31. #70
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    Thats the one, I'm fairly confident it's the lowest mileage (300 at least) in the UK, maybe further. I should maybe get some pics taken for the detailing section, after spending the best part of a decade in a garage I feel it needs to be seen, and the MBenz club seem like a bunch of wetters
    a nice nest egg for you then do you run it?

  32. #71
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I wasnt aimed at you Alex, I clicked i like your first post if you look, because i agree, i was messing thats all..
    That's fine then....

    I rather thought this was pointed in my general direction....

    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Dont put yourself down jungleman have you raced him? he might have the fastest car but has he got the balls...
    Perhaps I'm slightly tetchy today,as my car is still stuck on a ramp with it's engine in bits and no parts.....

    Have a good weekend.

  33. #72
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    That's fine then....

    I rather thought this was pointed in my general direction....



    Perhaps I'm slightly tetchy today,as my car is still stuck on a ramp with it's engine in bits and no parts.....

    Have a good weekend.

  34. #73
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Did you ever own one?
    Luckily No
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  35. #74
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    a nice nest egg for you then do you run it?
    I still get it serviced (oil changes etc) and run it regularly whilst replacing minor perishable parts (still cost the earth). I have had it insured for a couple of past summers but it's a git because the insurance companies want as much to insure that on a multi car as they do the S3 because of the insurance group etc and to tax it also when its on such limited mileage just doesn't figure. It's an appreciating classic and hopefully one day someone may cut me a decent deal
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  36. #75
    warren_S3's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,133
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and say whilst here, today, I prefer the fresher look of the 8P, I have to say the 8L has always struck me as a car that looked like some effort was expended over it's 1.8T siblings. It's a markedly better car visually compared to any of it's stable mates, and with flared arches, bespoke body, recaro seats and the pokey KO4 225 lump it's a car that could turn my head back in the day.

    The 8p is chic, purposeful, and has huge untapped potential, but it's always struck me as a polished SLine. They aren't even arsed to stamp S3 in the S3seats, where they do on leather SLines. The new S3 is a bit of a semi needing a blue pill (some tuning) to make it the real deal.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

    On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

    Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

  37. #76
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Anyway guys, its been a bit of fun, i better stop before people start getting upset, end of the day we are all Audi lovers, its been emotional, have a great bank holiday weekend........

    you been pretty bored today!
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  38. #77
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_cox View Post
    The new S3 is a bit of a semi needing a blue pill (some tuning) to make it the real deal.
    Hi Warren...

    This has always been my view on the 8P S3....from stock,it's a smooth,refined car,but it's brisk rather than quick,and needs a LOT more power to get it to where it could or should have been.

    I still see a good number of 8L S3's around here,and all seem to have been well looked after and many tuned pretty well too.

  39. #78
    warren_S3's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,133
    And worth the money???

    When I ordered new S3 with BE/tech/comfort etc. £31.5k

    Same spec Scirocco 2wd £32k

    Golf R £35k

    On that grounds it's not cheap, it's just better value!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

    On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

    Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

  40. #79
    DaveyB's Avatar
    No misfires.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    It's an appreciating classic and hopefully one day someone may cut me a decent deal
    ** And by that I mean some reasonable classic car insurance - I never plan to get rid!
    07' S3 8P2 Phantom Black Pearl

    91' Mercedes 300SL R129 Pearl Grey

  41. #80
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    I felt the 8L was better put together than the 8P which I felt was made to do what it was made to do without having anything in reserve eg clutches/injectors/hp fuel pumps.

    The 8P is a nice place to sit in though LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

 

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO