Halogen Headlights

J8Y PW

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick general question regarding the halogen headlamps on the current facelift A3...

The headlights appear to have a plastic covering in front of bulb, almost to protect the light from being too strong for other drivers. This seems to prevent the light from becoming direct and disperses the light throughout the headlamp unit.

I have seen many halogen headlights without this feature, that allow the bulb to shine directly onto the road. Does this indicate that it is safe for other drivers without this "protection" lens?

I have attached an image below (A4 I know) to demonstrate which area I mean:

If I removed this lens, would the car a) pass its MOT b) distribute light better and c) be safe for on-coming drivers?

Apologies if this has been asked before

Cheers

J8Y

I always thought it was for looks haha, VWs and Seats have them too.

Annoys me though because all it does is make the light look clustered instead of direct light. Have you got any plans to change yours over in any way Dan?

I'd like to replace them with the LED Bi-Xenon version, but they're costly.
The other thought was to buy a set of cheap halogen headlamps from ebay and fit projector lenses in myself, plenty have done it. Although it is time consuming and you have to split the headlight, it does look better and your headlight motors still work etc

I always thought it was to do with the beam pattern. Could be wrong though.
I thought the bulb had to be covered to stop it shining directly out of the headlight, as the front lenses on the Audi's don't have any way of dipping the light.
On some (usually older) cars the pattern of the light is dipped down using ridges on the front glass of the headlight, but the cars with smooth clear front lenses have the dipping pattern on the chrome reflector behind the bulb. The cap over the bulb means that all the light is sent backwards onto the patterned reflector so that it can be dipped correctly. If the cap wasn't there then the light would work like your full beam lights and would blind everyone. Hence why the full beam lights don't have this cover over the front of the bulb.

That's my understanding of it, but like I said I could be wrong.