• 1 Post By paddy
  • 1 Post By FranA3
  • 1 Post By Kriminal

Thread: S3 Sportback 10 plate - condensation in both headlamps

S3 Sportback 2010

Status

Question S3 Sportback 10 plate - condensation in both headlamps

Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of my approved used S3. After the driver left, we had a massive downpour. When it stopped raining, I popped out for my first drive, and before I got in the car noticed condensation in both headlamps. Its not insignificant either, quite a bit there.

Will my approved used warranty cover this?

Why does this happen, head lamp seal on both lights failed? Cant understand that on a 10 plate. Could it be that the bumper had been removed?

Thanks

SS

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Its not a sealed unit so like any glass that gets hot cold it will attract moisture. My advice would be to see if it dries out with regular use, if i does it may not return. It could have just been standing for some time. Dont get to upset yet
    saintlysimon likes this.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

S3 Sportback 2010

Status
    Thanks paddy -

events moderator

Status
    as paddy said it should dry out with use of the lights regularly , if it doesnt then take off the back of the light and get a hair dryer in there to aid drying it
    saintlysimon likes this.
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

1st Gear

Status
    Agree with Paddy when my car turned up from new there was moisture in the headlights but it cleared up and hasn't returned....
    Ibis - BE 170 S-Tronic

1st Gear

Status
    Are they xenon lamps ?

If so, this is a common 'fault' (if you can use that term). I had it in one off my lamps on the TT, and just as you put, after a sudden downpour.

Check all plastics around the area to make sure there are no cracks, and just have a look at the back casing of the lamp to see that the ventilation slot isn't blocked for any reason, as this should allow all temperature changes to flow effectively, ie. heat from the lamp and engine, and cold air from outside.

One thing I would not recommed, and don't mean to stand on Frans toes with this one, is not to use a hairdryer to dry it out, as what this will do is dry the small beads of moisture onto the inside of the cover.....imagine what happens when it rains on your windscreen, and you return to the car after the sun has been out, you notice small dots all over the glass - this is how it will look.

Another method is to use silica gel packs in the back of the lamp cover as these will draw the moisture away.

If the problem gets any worse, you may be better off removing the rear casing first, leave it open like this until it dries out, and then try replacing it to see if it comes back.

After all this, it still came back on the TT, and so I drilled a few more holes in the back of the casing, as the ventilation imo wasn't enough for the gases to withdraw from the lens.....and it worked ;-)
    saintlysimon likes this.

S3 Sportback 2010

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriminal View Post
    Are they xenon lamps ?

If so, this is a common 'fault' (if you can use that term). I had it in one off my lamps on the TT, and just as you put, after a sudden downpour.

Check all plastics around the area to make sure there are no cracks, and just have a look at the back casing of the lamp to see that the ventilation slot isn't blocked for any reason, as this should allow all temperature changes to flow effectively, ie. heat from the lamp and engine, and cold air from outside.

One thing I would not recommed, and don't mean to stand on Frans toes with this one, is not to use a hairdryer to dry it out, as what this will do is dry the small beads of moisture onto the inside of the cover.....imagine what happens when it rains on your windscreen, and you return to the car after the sun has been out, you notice small dots all over the glass - this is how it will look.

Another method is to use silica gel packs in the back of the lamp cover as these will draw the moisture away.

If the problem gets any worse, you may be better off removing the rear casing first, leave it open like this until it dries out, and then try replacing it to see if it comes back.

After all this, it still came back on the TT, and so I drilled a few more holes in the back of the casing, as the ventilation imo wasn't enough for the gases to withdraw from the lens.....and it worked ;-)

Thank you for that.

I have never attempted even the most minor thing like this, so might see what Audi say...