Not sure if im posting in the right place..

rubbi

Reaction score
but my question is regarding about the insurance. I know when you got a car, and you add a modification you tell your insurance. But suppose if your car has already got the specs fitted added from factory order...is that classed as a modification or not? :S for example...privacy glass, black styling package..

i'd be real greatful if someone can help me..

and sorry..hi lol..

As fran says....mine was black edition and all std eqip in fact the black edition despite being more expensive to buy is cheaper to insure by £60 on a £530 quote ..

work that one out :)

insurance is a funny game my old moddified rs turbo was cheaper to insure than a standard car weird or what lol

thankx for the response guys..but suppose the car isn't the black edition..lets take my example..ive ordered a A3 sportsback s line..but iv added extra specs eg privacy glass....so is that definitely not a modification then yeh?sorry..just trying to make sure yeh..

Well double check with your insurance as we are not experts but if it is insured as supplied by the manufacturer then its in a std configuration so to speak. Most insurance companies list extra's as not supplied on the delivery spec.

You tend to find that things like privacy glass don't make much difference anyway. The insurance go off whether people with your type of car have more or less accidents than others and quote accordingly. Black edition drivers apparently have fewer claims than others (less miles than others with lower-spec company cars, perhaps?) You'll notice a diesel is often cheaper than a petrol, too, for similar performance.

The way i see it is that if the 'mod' is an OEM mod then you can get away with not telling them as for all they know it could be a factory option!
if the mod is after-market (bbs alloys, coilovers or suspension, or an induction kit, etc.) then that would need to be declared.

I have been told by a previous insurance company that if you were to fit bigger OEM alloys (go from 17 sport alloys to 18 s-line or even 19 speedlines) then that can still fall under a factory option and would not need to be declared... i mean lets face it how would they find out it wasn't there in the first place? afterall its OEM!

hmmm... interesting..thankx for that guys..still abit confused though but il supppse ill find out when the times comes to insuring it..kind of not looking forward to it because not sure how much my insurance will be :(

i have previously not mentioned OEM alloys or privacy glass as a mod and when asked i just say its standard spec. they usually really care when it affects the performance

ohhh right..il take that on board.any good insurances out there?Im not really going to modify the car because already spending soo much on the car looool..

On my motorbike insurance, my bike was the "factory" edition model - so it had Ohlins suspension, lightweight wheels, radial brembo brakes etc.. So as far as the insurance was concerned it was already "modified" and two groups higher than the standard model.. When I asked them, they told me that I could change everything- wheels, exhausts, induction except for adding forced induction (turbo/supercharger) and my insurance would remain the same..