Found a leak - is it something to worry about?

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I have no idea what this is or what is actually leaking but I just noticed it the other day and for all I know its been there the whole time I've had the car (6 months).

Could anyone tell me what it is I'm looking at and whether this is something that needs attention asap or not please? :)

Thanks

leak.jpg

leak2.jpg

leak3.jpg

Think that's your fuel filter housing, Buddy. I think these things usually get pretty messy, but does look like yours is leaking a fair bit :(. x

That looks to be the diesel filter, there are send and return lines for the tank and engine.
The leak is probably a mix of water (from the washer bottle) and old diesel from a previous filter change.

Clean it up an old rag or something, then put some news paper/ kitchen paper under the filter to work out if it is leaking or just a messy engine bay.

Thanks for the quick responses dudes :)

I've booked marked the fuel filter replacement guide as there's no harm in getting that changed and hopefully the mess is just a result of a previous mechanic not taking enough care when doing the last change.

Can anyone please tell me at what number of kilometers (or miles) does the diesel fuel filter normally need to be changed? Not talking about mapped TDI's but just stock. Also, what is the correct part number for a 2006 TDI 140? Looks like it is something one can do without much of a problem, and certainly less costly than asking a dealer to do it. Thanks in advance.