AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

5th Gear

Status
    Is it certain areas that are effected? I don't get how they do it so fast, I struggle to get my radio out under no pressure at all the keys don't seem to help lol

2. # ADS
    ADS

FHP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    Nope they haven't calmed down my mate got his stolen last night from his black edition. Lots have been stolen from audi an vw's in the past week in hull. Thieving scum bags want there fingers cutting off.
    How many is lots? How true is this and where did you get the info, please? I ask as I am an A3 owner in Hull with RNSe fitted.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FHP View Post
    How many is lots? How true is this and where did you get the info, please? I ask as I am an A3 owner in Hull with RNSe fitted.
    14 in two weeks - very true come from the police - and I was the poor black edition that got done

they know what they are doing by doing it all through the window and not opening doors to set alarms off and smashing window by inserting screw driver through lower window seal and twisting

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The A3 has movement sensors, so if they smashed the window, the alarm would go of immediately.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well mine dint :/

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    You need to check the drivers door end, for the interior monitor button, if its not there then you don't have sensors, but afaik all uk spec cars have these fitted.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Working for an accident management company, we have seen a lot of company cars having the RNSE units stolen.

We have recently processed over 15 claims for RNSE units in one week. The book doesn't stop at the Audi A3, we have seen a fair few VW Golfs being targeted also.

As previously mentioned, these targeted attacks appear to be in an around West Yorkshire, which is where our claimants are situated.

The access route into the car for them it appears is via the door trims rather than damaging locks etc.

Shaun.

5th Gear

Status
    I'm surprised I haven't heard of any around my area, especially as I'm situated Inbetween Manchester and Liverpool

Reverse Gear

Status
    Spate of thefts in Coventry, my S3 was broken into on driveway last week. Very professional job. No damage apart from smashed passenger window. A garage clear out, CCTV, supaglass(decent quote after my wallet busting excess) & motion sensors are top of the agenda.
    Getting rid of car did cross my mind especially after reading this thread, but f..k the robbing w......s. I love my S3

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprints3 View Post
    but f..k the robbing w......s. I love my S3
    Welcome to the site, wish it was on better terms, but good for you man interms of fingers up to the thieving bar stewards, keep the car & do what you need too
    Sprints3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome to the site, wish it was on better terms, but good for you man interms of fingers up to the thieving bar stewards, keep the car & do what you need too
    Thanks for the welcome mate. Did think long and hard about selling, my wife is worried about a return visit for the car. However it's such a great motor I've convinced her Fort Knox is the way forward. Anyhow it's her fault moaning about the a3 3 door 2.0l tdi 170ps I bought. She kept moaning about how five doors were much more practical. So when audi phoned me for a brake fluid change and I had an hour to kill wandering round the showroom/forecourt.... I thought it only right to take on board her advice and purchased 2012 s3 sportback sprint blue. Moral of the story it's always the wife's fault!!!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Lol, yeah blame her huh, but I don't think they will be back for the car tbh mate, just take precautions.

Do you have external pir lights, I suggest the led ones from Timeguard, brilliant units, so small & run on such low wattage, we went from 240 watts to 24 & just as/if not brighter tbh, not that expensive, goto these guys, superb service & are on ebay aswell afaik, can buy direct very good service, Energy saving light bulbs, solar panels and more - Saving Energy Online

Oem options to sort the unit that was nicked are downgrade to a concert 2+ with antenna adaptions or replace with another, aftermarket is an option but adds things into mix like interaction with existing systems etc that can present its own niggling issues & will never look like the nice dash audi provides as such.
    Sprints3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your advice NHM. Will defo check out time guard. As for downgrading, although sensible I feel it's "giving up" . Hopefully garaging it and supaglass(for any car park incidents,opportunists) will help. We all work hard for our cars and to downgrade something you've paid good money for is hard. However maybe the best course of action. The repair centre on receiving the call from my insurance stated"bet it's an audi". Lots of Rns-e being stolen in Coventry at moment.
    Royston80 likes this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well without acting inappropriately, we supply/fit the units either concert or rns, ping us a PM if insurance doesn't play ball.
    Sprints3 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Insurance have played ball, doubt they will if there is a next time! You will defo get pinged.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    Nope they haven't calmed down my mate got his stolen last night from his black edition. Lots have been stolen from audi an vw's in the past week in hull. Thieving scum bags want there fingers cutting off.
    Sorry to Hijack here, the TT (black Edition) had the RNS whipped out 3 weeks ago, West mids. The car was 2 weeks old with 690 miles on the clock. Not good! Audi insulted my intelligence and informed me that there was a "strictly confidential" algorithm that protected the code of the unit... AND that special security keys that were required to remove the unit. We all know these can be obtained very easily.

Why WOULD Audi introduce a further security measure? They're doing a roaring trade with replacing glass, RNS, looms, windows and seats.

IMHO we should cut off people's hands for theft. I don't think it would happen quite as much then.

Short Back

Status
    Sorry to hear this is still going on...

The best weapon would be to petition sites like ebay to ban the sale of these & report the seller to the Police if legitimate ownership can't be proved. They're effectively the middleman in the stolen goods market & should be held liable for any units, found to be stolen, that are advertised through their pages.

It's the main reason I went from Concert to Aftermarket instead of RNS-E, and I probably paid in the region of £850 (including install), so it's not as though I made a saving! I just didn't\don't need the associated worry.
    Royston80 likes this.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

2nd Gear

Status
    It must be a pain and make you worry about leaving you car luckly I live in the lakes and it's all quite but I don't like taking my car to city's and leaving it parked up especially over night !

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    IMHO we should cut off people's hands for theft. I don't think it would happen quite as much then.
    dont mean to start a religious war here but this is in Islamic law... Thieves have a hand cut off which stops him and others from stealing... Guess what? It actually works!
    Royston80 likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_sid View Post
    It must be a pain and make you worry about leaving you car luckly I live in the lakes and it's all quite but I don't like taking my car to city's and leaving it parked up especially over night !
    Yes Sid it is. I draw the line at relocating to have a more secure spot to park my car though!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Had mine stolen a few weeks back from east London. B**tards done it early hours of the morning. Didn't hear a thing unfortunately.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenos View Post
    Had mine stolen a few weeks back from east London. B**tards done it early hours of the morning. Didn't hear a thing unfortunately.
    Sorry to hear that Lenos. The bottom line is that the RNS is a beacon to be stolen. The lack of "security" features that Audi (fail to) build in is laughable! Aftermarket HU's are the only way to go IMHO. They are somewhat cheaper and a whole lot more secure. I've gone for the Pioneer AVH-8400 and I am very pleased with it.

Fighting the spending urges

Status
    Sorry to hear that. Just out of interest. What part of east London? I am in east London quite a bit.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The vehicle was parked outside my in laws in custom house ( near canning town ). Quite bad really I have just got the concert radio now from the 2008 model but with no radio as the people who stole it just ripped the plugs off
    Disappointed

6th Gear

Status
    Unfortunately theB**tards just cut through the wires, I've seen cars where they have just cut through the main harness, it makes a massive mess and takes hours to repair. It can be repaired just find a local auto electrician, or you could try and fix it yourself, you can buy connectors from these guy's FAKRA Connectors

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry to hear that. That worries me slightly as I live in East London too. Had my van broken in to. Hoping they won't get round to the S3 as we'll. As a matter of interest what are people's views on trackers? I know the thread is on RNSE ( which I may or may not have lol), but I'm paranoid about the car getting 'boosted'.

Reverse Gear

Status
    The vehicle was parked outside my in laws in custom house ( near canning town ). Quite bad really I have just got the concert radio now from the 2008 model but with no radio as the people who stole it just ripped the plugs off
    Disappointed
    Lenos, the screened cables for the radio are not tooooo difficult to repair. Be nice to your Audi dealership explain that their RNS unit is a beacon to thieves and hopefully they will reduce the price for you? You only need the end part of the wires. An Auto-'Lecky should sort this if you don't feel confident yourself?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yea I'm confident in fixing it myself just need the part. May try to get into a dealership on the weekend to get that sorted.

Thanks for all your help people. If anyone knows any solutions to my other thread please help

Thanks

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had mine stolen on Monday afternoon in a 'secure' work car park in Bradford. Unfortunately they didn't get them on CCTV. They broke the passenger window, but it didn't smash as I had a security film put on the windows (the first thing I did after getting the car, after reading this thread). However this didn't stop them as they levered the window out of its frame and got in. The alarm must have gone off as it was going intermittently when I arrived. They obviously weren't in any rush as they had time to rummage through my glove box and arm rest (which had nothing in). The thing that annoys me the most is that I didn't expect it to happen at work- more like on my street.

Reverse Gear

Status
    well I have confirmation by the police they arrested someone in hull with 3 head units , and then tonight 5 polish were arrested and a few bags full of head units taken as evidence, moved here 3 weeks ago from Manchester ?

not sure if its a certain group going round removing all these as all have been broke into the same way
    NHN and Artimus like this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'm beyond p1553d off. My A4 Cab has had its RNS-E stolen TWICE from different streets near my girlfriend's house in Moortown, Leeds. First time 6 weeks ago, and now last Friday. Both times after midnight. My insurers were very good getting it sorted the first time, and seem to be fine about this time. But the guy I spoke to on the phone knew exactly what I was talking about when I said it was an Audi - apparently there's an RNS-E theft epidemic in Leeds again at the moment.

Both times they smashed through the front passenger window, both times the alarm doesn't seem to have gone off. Really weirdly, the first time, the glass seemed to be all over the OUTSIDE of my car (all over the roof, bonnet and boot!) and not much inside. Really can't explain it UNLESS they have actually scanned my remote, entered the car and stolen the unit cleanly, then smashed the window from the inside to hide their actual method. Sounds crazy, but both times it really doesn't look like the passenger door has been opened, and I can't imagine how they get their whole body through the window to (fairly cleanly) remove the RNSE with removal tools. They don't damage the console, no crowbars or anything like that.

It's got to the point where I might buy a cheap car just for visiting her house! But first can anyone help me with a question? Is there a stereo unit one step below the RNS-E that still works with the OEM Audi iPod dock and bluetooth integration? Some variant of the Symphony? Because it would probably be better for me to just install a lower spec stereo and keep my RNSE at home until I sell the car.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm going to stick with my Concert until I can afford a 8V S3 with a pop out screen. Can't be dealing with worrying about the car all the time!
    S3 Sportback

3rd Gear

Status

RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

Quote Originally Posted by zootius View Post
    I'm beyond p1553d off. My A4 Cab has had its RNS-E stolen TWICE from different streets near my girlfriend's house in Moortown, Leeds. First time 6 weeks ago, and now last Friday. Both times after midnight. My insurers were very good getting it sorted the first time, and seem to be fine about this time. But the guy I spoke to on the phone knew exactly what I was talking about when I said it was an Audi - apparently there's an RNS-E theft epidemic in Leeds again at the moment.

Both times they smashed through the front passenger window, both times the alarm doesn't seem to have gone off. Really weirdly, the first time, the glass seemed to be all over the OUTSIDE of my car (all over the roof, bonnet and boot!) and not much inside. Really can't explain it UNLESS they have actually scanned my remote, entered the car and stolen the unit cleanly, then smashed the window from the inside to hide their actual method. Sounds crazy, but both times it really doesn't look like the passenger door has been opened, and I can't imagine how they get their whole body through the window to (fairly cleanly) remove the RNSE with removal tools. They don't damage the console, no crowbars or anything like that.

It's got to the point where I might buy a cheap car just for visiting her house! But first can anyone help me with a question? Is there a stereo unit one step below the RNS-E that still works with the OEM Audi iPod dock and bluetooth integration? Some variant of the Symphony? Because it would probably be better for me to just install a lower spec stereo and keep my RNSE at home until I sell the car.
    That's really bad. Leeds has a reputation. Someone on my road had 2 stolen within a month too.

I've got a concert and a cable coming out of glove box for iPhone. It's black so doesn't stand out much and use iphone as sat nav. Got my iPod shuffle in there at moment. Works with Bluetooth too.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382361583.457083.jpg
    Artimus likes this.
    S3 Sportback

Advanced In Car Technologies

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Cruiser89 On Twitter Add Cruiser89 on Facebook Visit Cruiser89's Youtube Channel Visit Cruiser89's Instagram Channel
    It does seem that there has been quite a big surge in thefts over the last few weeks.

We work with a few of the Insurance companies out there to resolve stolen units and repair wiring etc. In the past week I have had 3 VW units needed.

It is a pretty sad state of affairs when we all work hard for our pride and joys and some idiot comes along and ruins it. The only way to curb this is to stop buying these units from sites like eBay and Gumtree and buy them direct from a reputable company. If the criminals know there is a demand for them then they will carry on stealing them...

I suggest things like others have stated like NHN. CCTV, PIR lighting and even floodlights...

Keep yourself safe out there!!

Tim - Project & Marketing Manager of Advanced In-Car Technologies LTD. An Audi Approved OEM / Retrofit Specialist Company. All views expressed are my own and bear no reflection on Advanced In Car Tech.

Audi A3 For Sale: 2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI Black Edition. Low Mileage. Great Condition. Manuf Warranty
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-wanted-audi-cars/219560-sale-2011-audi-a3-1-8tfsi-black-edition-low-mileage-great-condition-manuf-warranty.html

Reverse Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by zootius View Post
    I'm beyond p1553d off. My A4 Cab has had its RNS-E stolen TWICE fr.......
    Hey Zootius, sorry to hear of your woes . With the RNS I had stolen, similar method to yours was used (barring glass on the roof??!)...
    They smashed the passenger window (no alarm sounding) then reached in and stole the RNS using the keys, by leaning in through the passenger window. How do I know? There were scratches and whiteness marks where the recently broken glass scratched f0o# out of the passenger door (exterior).

Thinking about it, if you needed a drugs hit, adrenaline was pumping and you (NEEDED) this unit to sell on for this cash...how long would it take? I can get these out of my Audis being careful in less than a minute. I'd say 30secs tops for these scumbags. I'm not trying to be controversial, but realistic.

Maybe an aftermarket unit incorporating the BT, steering function and Nav is on the cards?
    Last edited by Royston80; 21st October 2013 at 22:44.

Reverse Gear

Status

Hi all, apologies for the following, as it is a genuine question, NOT a rant...

Why/how can the below be available for sale?.... Am I being dim? Why is this allowed?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382984003.176584.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1382984003.176584.jpgq

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-RN...-/171144538426

[ATTACH]22552

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Because ebay couldn't give a toss about doing the right thing.
    Royston80 likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Because ebay couldn't give a toss about doing the right thing.
    NHN (and everyone) firstly, apologies for my fudge fungers!

I am more then disgusted. NHN tell me, should any of our stolen RNSE units end up in the dealer network at any stage in their life will their internals/Audi's system flag anything up? The more I think of this the more I am effed off

2nd Gear

Status
    It is a joke how we still have head units being stolen in 2013 is amazing especially factory fitted once !

Theirs nothing stoping car makers using the same systems they use for generating codes for heady it's how they do car keys and make it a dealer only code able part that has to communicate with the immo system to authenticate the head unit but that would be too much work wouldn't it !

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I think the answer to your question lies within the new A3 8V & how the system is implemented, as in you cant nick the systems very easily or at all without having the whole car, that's as much as I will say tbh.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast